Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Andy Stevens

Default Interesting African object poss Ashanti? Vandoo where art thou!

We came across this interesting old object recently, it was cheap as chips so if its a dud then nothing is lost, but it appears well made, has some age and is heavy!

Its made of cast brass and has to our eyes an Ashanti look to the decoration, the serpent on the lip/flap is really funky. As to its purpose we are somewhat stumped, perhaps a charm carrier or bullet box or most likely a blingy man bag for the evening bush disco

As ever all opinions recieved with good grace and many thanks.

It measures 18 x 15cm approx. The lid section lifts clear and there is the remains of a leather slings.
Attached Images

Andy Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

These are known as tobacco pouches from the borders of Nigeria and Cameroon.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:08 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

TIM NAILED IT. I WAS LOOKING OVER THE AREA TO SEE IF I COULD FIND SOMETHING DEFINITE WITHOUT LUCK. THIS SORT OF BRASS/BRONZE WORK IS MOSTLY FROM THE SAME GENERAL REGION OF AFRICA. I WOULD GUESS YOUR EXAMPLE CAME FROM CAMEROON BUT IT COULD ALSO COME FROM GHANA, NIGERIA OR BENIN AS THIS SORT OF WORK IS DONE IN ALL AREAS. THERE IS EVEN A ASHANTI BRASS CASTING TOUR OFFERED IN GHANA WHERE YOU CAN LEARN THE LOST WAX CASTING TECKNIQUE AND ACTUALLY CAST YOUR OWN OBJECTS.
THE YORUBA IN NIGERIA THE ASHANTI IN GHANA AND I AM NOT SURE OF THE TRIBES IN THE TWO OTHER COUNTRIES I MENTIONED. BOTH ARE NICE EXAMPLES AND NOW I WILL KNOW ONE IF I SEE IT.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Andy Stevens

Thankyou gents so much for the info! We spent a good few hours searching the net for anything similar with no luck.

Are these items worn as day to day ware or for special occasions? And do thay have any age?
Its a rather heavy beast and far from comfy, so the disco is a no no! We've decided to hang it on the wall with our Ashanti sword and a great pair they make! All the best Andy
Andy Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote