Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th June 2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up AUS Aboriginal club

Been on bit of a roll recently. Snaffled this nice looking club. Coming from NSW so I assume it is probably Eastern Australia. I have one of the same form with linear groove carving. This new piece is approx 50cm which is 9cm shorter than the one I already have. It looks as if it might well have some age to it, judging by the patina. Better pictures in time.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 12:52 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

NICE CLUB I HAVE A THEORY WHICH MEANS I HAVE NOT READ IT IN A BOOK ALL THOUGH IT MAY BE OUT THERE.
MOST IF NOT ALL AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINALS LIVED AND TRAVELED IN SMALL GROUPS SO HAD FEW BELONGINGS. THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN LIKELY CARRIED THE FEW BELONGINGS IN NET BAGS SUCH AS ARE STILL IN USE IN NEW GUINEA THEY ARE CALLED BILLUM IN NEW GUINEA AND DILLY BAG OR SWAG IN AUSTRALIA IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.
WHILE WALKING ABOUT EVERYONE WAS CONSTANTLY ON THE LOOK OUT FOR ANYTHING TO EAT OR IN OTHER WAYS USEFUL. ALL OF THEM LIKELY CARRIED A CLUB OF SOME FORM PERHAPS SOME CARRIED A SPECIALIZED ONE SUCH AS YOURS. YOUR EXAMPLE COULD BE THROWN AT FOOD CRITTERS OR USED TO STRIKE OR BEAT SOMETHING OR SOMEONE. IT DIFFERS FROM MANY WITH SHARP ENDS WHICH ARE OFTEN REFERRED TO AS DIGGING STICKS. THE ENDS ON YOURS WOULD SERVE AS A PESTLE BUT MAKE A POOR DIGGING STICK AND THE DIGGING STICK A POOR PESTLE. A NOMADIC GROUP WOULD NEED SUCH A TOOL WEAPON. JUST MY THOUGHTS ON IT
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Tim Simmons

Got some information on this piece.

I am told that there is an old faded catalgue label on it. Originally collected by a German in the late 19th century and held in Germany. Then bought by an Aus collector and then in the hands of the seller. According to the seller it is most probably Wirragerri collected along the Murry River near the border with the state of Victoria.

It appears there are many ways of spelling "Wirragerri"
Old 26th June 2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Got some information on this piece.
I am told that there is an old faded catalgue label on it. Originally collected by a German in the late 19th century and held in Germany. Then bought by an Aus collector and then in the hands of the seller. According to the seller it is most probably Wirragerri collected along the Murry River near the border with the state of Victoria.

It appears there are many ways of spelling "Wirragerri"
Hullo everybody!
Tim:
Indeed, while Wiradjuri country lies mainly to the North of the river Murray, a small portion does take in a stretch of it.

The wooden implement shown doesn't appear to me to be a digging stick.
It is more probably a BOONDI, a weapon which can be used either as a club or a throwing stick. As it is usually very well-balanced, it can be used with deadly accuracy. Men would own several Boondi. As the bulb on this one appears to be on the small side, perhaps it is geared to be used for more throwing.
Hope I have been of some help.

Best,

Last edited by Amuk Murugul; 26th June 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Thanks for that helpful information. Researching the Wiradjurri Wars has really sparked my imagination and I am keen to get my hands on it. Just think perhaps it could come from that period? The Murry River marks the southern border of the Wiradjurri poeples land.
Old 30th June 2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Here and I like it. I can understand if you have not been hit by clubs yet, how odd it must seem to get excited about a piece of wood with swollen ends. When these things are in your hand all the secrets are revealed, there is thought, subtlies and a beauty to the simple forms. They are fighting weapons. Death delt by a blade or a lump of wood is still death. Both require a warriors skill and fortitude.
Attached Images