Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th August 2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Rare sword of the Timor group

This sword finished on eBay today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121399202351...84.m1423.l2649

It is a typical example of a rare Timorese sword from the islands of Savu and Roti. It bears a striking resemblance to the sword shown in Fig. 590, p. 139 of Albert van Zonneveld’s book, Traditional Weapons of the Indonesian Archipelago, Zwartenkot Art Books:Leiden, 2001.

The sword corresponds to a type (e) Timorese sword, and this is what van Zonneveld has to say about these swords:

“As are all hilts of the Timor group, type (e) is made of buffalo horn, but it is here yellowish instead of black. It has a surprisingly short shaft, the lower half of which is quite broad. At the top we find a large, flat almost square part protruding towards the edge and resembling a kind of flag. The edge’s side is incised with two shallow, oblique V-shaped indentations. The square’s sides are, with the exception of the lower side, pierced and provided with tufts of goat hair. The entire hilt is decorated with carvings. In the centre of the sides we see an elevated circle with a protruding central point.

The blades are of local provenance and always straight. The back curves towards the edge.

The scabbard is made of two wooden pieces, tied together with rattan. The binding can continue over the scabbard’s entire length. Its mouth can be very broad, and towards the back somewhat less broadened, or hardly broader than the hilt’s stem. The mouth is always decorated with carving resembling that on the hilt, also with a raised central ‘eye.’ The scabbard has an angled foot, facing towards the edge side. This foot is decorated with carving which always includes a central raised circle.”

Given the wear and tear on the scabbard and hilt, I think this one is probably late 19th Century. Unfortunately the blade has been cleaned recently. I shall try to post more pictures after it arrives.

Ian.
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 11:28 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Ian,

what a great score! And a bargain as well. Nearly can't believe that nobody else have seen it. I don't would worry about the cleaned blade, a good polish and etch will bring out the lamination which is surly present. I am green with envy!!! Congratulations for this great addition to your collection.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 11:35 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks Detlef. Yes, I was lucky that nobody else saw this and realized that it was not a Sarawak/Malay piece (as advertised).

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 6th August 2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 6th August 2014, 01:19 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

CONGRADULATIONS!! A VERY NICE OLDER SWORD DONE UP THE TRADITIONAL WAY WITH ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES AND AT A PRICE THAT WILL GIVE PLEASURE TO ITS CURRENT OWNER OVER THE YEARS WHENEVER HE LOOKS AT IT. ENJOY
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 03:08 AM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Very, very nice score Ian. I thought that I had found some great deals on epray, but this is right there with the West Sumba sword I found a few years back. My congratulation to you on this. I cannot wait for the new photos to be posted after it has arrived and you have had a chance to do a little cleaning and preservation work to it.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 08:08 AM   #6
Sajen

Any updates Ian?
Old 25th August 2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

I have received the sword and am providing it with some cleaning. More pictures coming shortly.

Ian.
Old 25th August 2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Wonderful news Ian, can't wait to see the new photos.

Best,
Robert
Old 31st October 2015, 11:25 PM   #9
Marcus

Default pictures

Over a year and still no picture? I just comitted to a Timor sword on Oriental Arms.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2015, 10:04 AM   #10
BANDOOK

Default Timorese sword

HI IAN,AM POSTING PICTURES OF MY SWORD FROM THE TIMORESE GROUP,ALOR SWORD
The scabbard is made of two wooden pieces, tied together with rattan. The binding can continue over the scabbard’s entire length. Its mouth can be very broad, and towards the back somewhat less broadened, or hardly broader than the hilt’s stem. The mouth is always decorated with carving resembling that on the hilt, also with a raised central ‘eye.’ The scabbard has an angled foot, facing towards the edge side. This foot is decorated with carving which always includes a central raised circle.”
THE ABOVE IS SEEN CLEARLY IN MY SWORD,CHEERS AND THANKS FOR POSTING
Attached Images

Last edited by BANDOOK; 1st November 2015 at 10:27 AM.
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2015, 10:13 AM   #11
Sajen

Wow, the blade seems to have seen a lot of action! I would clean the blade from rust.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 1st November 2015, 10:18 AM   #12
BANDOOK

THANKS DETLEF,I SAW THIS POST TODAY WHICH WAS POSTED BY IAN A YEAR BACK,I HAVE NOT TOUCHED THIS SWORD SINCE AGES AND ONLY TO PHOTOGRAPH IT TODAY,SO WILL PUT SOME LUBRICANTS /ANTIRUST ,CHEERS
Old 1st November 2015, 01:42 PM   #13
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Unhappy Sorry guys

Sorry guys. My bad. I got side tracked and never cleaned this one up. Will try to get it done in the next few days and post more pics.

Nice example Bandook. Thank for sharing the pics.

Ian.
Old 1st November 2015, 10:29 PM   #14
kai

Hello Marcus,

Quote:
I just comitted to a Timor sword on Oriental Arms.
I'm afraid Artzi got that one wrong - it's an alamang/alameng, a typical Buginese/Makassarese sword. While these do show up elsewhere in Bugis-influenced areas, I don't think there is any reason to trace this examples' origin to the wider Timor group...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 02:13 AM   #15
Marcus

Default "Artzi got that one wrong"

I do not really agree. I think it is distinct from the alamang type swords, although it is not that typical of the Timor group either.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 06:42 AM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I do not really agree. I think it is distinct from the alamang type swords, although it is not that typical of the Timor group either.

Hello Marcus,

when it is the shown sword I have to agree with Kai, it's a typical Bugis alamang, please compare with this example from my own collection: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=alamang
Even a knowledgeable dealer can be wrong, sorry Artzi.

Best regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 2nd November 2015 at 06:54 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 2nd November 2015, 07:23 AM   #17
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Sorry guys. My bad. I got side tracked and never cleaned this one up. Will try to get it done in the next few days and post more pics.

Nice example Bandook. Thank for sharing the pics.

Ian.
THANKS IAN,PLEASE COULD YOU TELL ME HOW OLD MY SWORD WOULD BE ROUGHLY,CHEERS RAJESH
Old 2nd November 2015, 05:49 PM   #18
Oriental-Arms

I stand corrected. Alamang sword indeed. My apologies
Oriental-Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:11 PM   #19
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Rajesh:

I would think late 19th or early 20th C judging from the overall appearance. Perhaps a little more recent. Circa 1900 would be my best guess.

Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
THANKS IAN,PLEASE COULD YOU TELL ME HOW OLD MY SWORD WOULD BE ROUGHLY,CHEERS RAJESH
Old 4th November 2015, 09:00 AM   #20
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi Rajesh:

I would think late 19th or early 20th C judging from the overall appearance. Perhaps a little more recent. Circa 1900 would be my best guess.

Ian.
appreciate Ian,cheers
Old 22nd August 2017, 04:32 AM   #21
Robert
EAAF Staff

When searching for something completely different I came across this older thread and was hoping that by my bringing it up again that Ian and Bandook might post new photos of their very interesting and rare swords if they have had the chance to cleaned them.

Best,
Robert