Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 16th April 2022, 04:57 AM   #1
shayde78

Default Archaic Sgian Dubh??

Good day, fine folks!

I am hoping to get your feedback on the following piece I picked up recently. I initially thought this was a patch knife from the Amercan frontier. But, upon recieving it, I'm starting to think it might be a form of sgian dubh. The overall size, the gimping on the spine of the blade just below the hilt, and (although not the stereotypical thistle/basket-weave carving on the hilt) the handle curve is such that it curves perfectly to fit snug against the calf muscle if tucked into a sock on the outside of the right leg. It 8s actually this last feature that has stuck with me making me wonder at its Scottish roots.

Anyway, with full acknowledgment that the possibility exists that this was simply fabricated in someone's garage during the pandemic, I humbly present to you to get your more expert opinions.

Bone hilt
8.25 inches overall
3.5 inch blade
Brass spacer

Thanks!
-Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by shayde78; 16th April 2022 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Edited to add measurements/specs
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2022, 04:08 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I don't think this is an archaic sgian dubh. The notches don't look right and the finger places don't look right either. Post-Victorian sgian dubhs changed more to the curvature of the calf muscle. Plus with little patina on the bone, I would place this as late 20c to early 21c.

That being said, it is nice for what it is with true usage..
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 07:32 PM   #3
shayde78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
I don't think this is an archaic sgian dubh. The notches don't look right and the finger places don't look right either. Post-Victorian sgian dubhs changed more to the curvature of the calf muscle. Plus with little patina on the bone, I would place this as late 20c to early 21c.

That being said, it is nice for what it is with true usage..
Thanks Battara!

You are right about the finger grooves, unless this is for a 6-fingered user!

Apologies for the late note of appreciation,
-Rob
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubh, sgian, sgian dubh