Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 11th January 2016, 08:44 PM   #1
apolaki

Default Can covering metal in a container of dry rice preserve it?

Hi,

I was wondering if covering something metal like a old pendant in rice will keep it dry and halt further progression of rust, corrosion?

Could the effects be different based on the metal composition?
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 05:39 AM   #2
Shakethetrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaki
Hi,

I was wondering if covering something metal like a old pendant in rice will keep it dry and halt further progression of rust, corrosion?

That's a tough one that I've never heard before.

It theoretically could work, but due to the organic nature of the rice, this method holds some potential of going horribly wrong.

I think there many better and easier ways to do this without wasting some good rice!
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 06:03 AM   #3
apolaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakethetrees
That's a tough one that I've never heard before.

It theoretically could work, but due to the organic nature of the rice, this method holds some potential of going horribly wrong.

I think there many better and easier ways to do this without wasting some good rice!
Thanks for your input! Perhaps a bag of silica beads would work?

The metal object in question is from Southeast Asia, and I was just wondering if there is a history of doing such a thing to preserve an object into perpetuity within the native setting?

In any case, what do you think could go horribly wrong with dry rice?

Thanks again,

apolaki
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 07:43 AM   #4
RobertGuy

Dry rice has often been promoted as a way of drying out electrical items such as mobile (cell) phones that have been dropped in water. It does seem effective but I don't think it is used for extended storage. The whole point is that the rice absorbs excess water and therefore ceases to be dry rice. Then rot and mould become a problem. Unless your container is well sealed vermin infestations are also likely.
RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 08:41 AM   #5
kronckew

nothing stays sealed forever. heck, nothing is forever.

suspended & sealed in an dry inert gas filled thick stainless steel container & actively monitored and maintained against seal deterioration, gas loss & contamination, it might last a long time. even then, organic components may deteriorate. it's surroundings are subject to fire, flood, earthquake, extreme weather, tsunamis, radiation, meteor strike, not to mention inquisitive light fingered humans.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 09:06 AM   #6
RobertGuy

Another point to consider is that although conditions of 0% humidity would be good for the metal components any organic bits, wood, leather, cord etc. might suffer and become too dry and brittle. Better a temperature and humidity controlled environment with additional protection (oil, wax) for the metal.
RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 06:55 AM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaki
Hi,

Salaams apolaki ...I had water droplets in my watch and someone said cover it in dry rice... It worked!!
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 02:31 PM   #8
Shakethetrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams apolaki ...I had water droplets in my watch and someone said cover it in dry rice... It worked!!
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

I've heard that before, but, as this is a short time, once off solution, I'm sure it's OK.

Long term storage in rice could cause mold to form once humidity dampens the rice.
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote