Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd July 2012, 06:41 PM   #1
thinreadline

Default ANOTHER NIMCHA ? in need of care

The excellent post on the Nimcha / Bedouin Saif remided me that I had something similar in my attic heap so I have dug it out for your comments . I think this may have a European blade too though there are no markings. It still even has part of its old Weller & Dufty auction tage with a sale no. that must relate to around 1988 . The overall length is 90 cm , blade width 4 cm , wooden grip , iron handguard, scabbard leather wrapped. Hatchet point to blade.
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Henk

Looks you have a n identical example as shown by A. Alnakkas. Your scabbard has the leather still present but I suppose you have some work to do. Better don't leave it as it is.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
A.alnakkas

Nice! could use some cleaning though :-)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:56 PM   #4
thinreadline

Yes you are both right .. this has come from my 'heap' a pile of largely unidentified weapons I bought many years ago and never got round to doing anything with , much to my shame . Now I have more time I am being to work my way through them and clean, keep or sell .
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Henk

If you have a pile unindentified weapons, how them. There is a lot of knowledge avaible here. And it is always fun and educating to see an unindentified pile of weapons
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:39 PM   #6
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
If you have a pile unindentified weapons, how them. There is a lot of knowledge avaible here. And it is always fun and educating to see an unindentified pile of weapons
I will do that Henk bit by bit ..I have been putting them on this site steadily for about a year now , but it takes me time !
Old 4th July 2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Henk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
I will do that Henk bit by bit ..I have been putting them on this site steadily for about a year now , but it takes me time !
I know and it takes some time, but before the pile is rusted away, we nosey guys would like to see what is in it. You made us curious.
Old 4th July 2012, 04:26 PM   #8
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
I know and it takes some time, but before the pile is rusted away, we nosey guys would like to see what is in it. You made us curious.
I am on to it but you must be patient ! Check out my past posts , they will give you an idea of what I have pulled out from it so far .
Old 5th July 2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
I am on to it but you must be patient ! Check out my past posts , they will give you an idea of what I have pulled out from it so far .

Salaams thinreadline ~ Thanks for showing the sword which frankly no one is absolutely certain what to call these... I mean some call them Zanzibari others Yemeni whilst some say Bedawi ... Derivatives occur all over the Indian Ocean up the Red Sea and throughout much of Arabia (and in your attic ) My feeling is that here we have a Southern Arabian Nimcha though the seafarer in me says these are cutlass styles; Perfect for the smaller stature of Arabian peoples and excellent for short range confined space on ships.
Have fun restoring this one....

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 08:22 AM   #10
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams thinreadline ~ Thanks for showing the sword which frankly no one is absolutely certain what to call these... I mean some call them Zanzibari others Yemeni whilst some say Bedawi ... Derivatives occur all over the Indian Ocean up the Red Sea and throughout much of Arabia (and in your attic ) My feeling is that here we have a Southern Arabian Nimcha though the seafarer in me says these are cutlass styles; Perfect for the smaller stature of Arabian peoples and excellent for short range confined space on ships.
Have fun restoring this one....

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Ibrahiim
Yes indeed my attic is a perfect example of the confluence of world trade routes in exotic weaponry ! Thanks for your views . I rather like this workmanlike piece and I shall certainly gently clean it now and then most probably keep it .