Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th April 2023, 06:41 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default BINUAYA/BINUWAYA MAGUINDANAO

Hi,

Sharing a blade that is one of the center-pieces in my father's blade collection.

Called a 'binuaya/binuwaya'- it resembles the 'buaya' or the crocodile. It came from Maguindanao, Mindanao.

OAL: 26-inches/ 13-inch blade. Hilt: unknown wood with aluminum & nylon bands.

My father has two of these blades- the 2nd one, a much newer, newly-commissioned one, which has an oAL of 37.5 inches with a 18.5-inches blade. But I will share this second one of a separate post.

A short trivia(as related to my father by a Maguindanaon friend: The binuaya blade represents the three nations of the Maguindanaon Bangsamoro (see illustration-ctto).

According to my father's friend, there are 5 ranks with the corresponding blade by which they are allowed to carry/possess:

1) Binuaya - the highest of the 5-rank category. In the olden times, this
blade is 'used' exclusively to carry out sentences (presumably death) on criminals by their court;
2) kampilan - used by datus 'only'
3) kris - used by warriors
4) spear (called a 'dilek')- for war and hunting
5) panabas - lowest rank (slaves)

The forging of a binuaya (we're not sure if it includes the other Maguindanaon blades)- MUST be made by a person/s who, is in his bloodline a bladesmith by trade. If, the blade is forged by a person whose ancestor are not bladesmiths- then the person will experience malady...or worse.

Note: the binuaya blade must be represented by the 3-Maguindanaon nations. Reason: to avoid vengeance and reprisals if the executed person does not belong to the unified blade. But if the binuaya, is used, being represented by the 3-nations of Maguindanao - then there will be no vengeance or reprisals.

This is the story relayed by my father's friend.

Saludos,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2023, 12:33 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Yves,

Thank you for sharing this very unusual piece and the story of what it represents. Very informative.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2023, 03:17 AM   #3
tanaruz

Hello Ian,

Pleasure to do so.

Here's the newly commissioned binuaya from Maguindanao.

OAL: 35.5 inches/ blade: 18.5 inches
Hilt: ipil hardwood (moluccan ironwood)
Scabbard: Ipil hardwood (moluccan ironwood)-from a very old electrical post, with aluminum fasteners.
The design of the scabbard resembles that of a buaya (crocodile).

Happy Easter everyone,

Yves
Attached Images

Old 10th April 2023, 01:09 PM   #4
werecow

I may well be mistaken but to my untrained eye it seems that a lot of the blades often (mis?)labeled as panabas are actually of this type. So now I'm wondering what defines the two and sets them apart?
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2023, 09:27 AM   #5
tanaruz

Hello,

As to the question: is the binuaya the same as the panabas.
I asked my father. Though he knew the answer- it was best he said , for me to hear it from a Maguindanaon source regarding this question.

1) the binuaya blade is an EXCLUSIVE blade of the Maguindanaon. No other moro tribe carries this blade).
2) it is EXCLUSIVELY used in carrying out sentences (usually death) by their court. The method is by 'slitting' the throat of the convicted criminal (padsumbalin). (Note: they never chop of the head of a criminal convicted to die because it is NOT proper).

This is the only Maguindanaon blade that has the 3 nations of the Maguindanaon bangsamoro well represented (see my initial post for reference). IF a convicted person is killed using the binuaya- there will be NO reprisals/vengeance from the person/s kin since the instrument is represented by the 3 nations of Maguindanao.

3) the binuaya blade is one that cannot be used in warfare (only for their courts).

Now, the panabas is one of the blade that is used in warfare. It CANNOT be used to function like a binuaya in carrying out sentences because the panabas is NOT represented by the 3 nations of Maguidanaon bangsamoro.
If a panabas is used to carry out death sentences by their court- there sure will be reprisals. And a similar blade (panabas) will be used by the kin to kill the person who employed it in carrying out the court's death sentence.

The panabas is used in warfare.

In short- they have different functions, hence, different designs.

Hope this sheds light.

Saludos,

Yves
Old 11th April 2023, 10:43 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Yves,

Thank you again for clarifying the use of this interesting sword. There is a form of panabas that has a somewhat similar shaped blade as your binuwaya that has been called a padsumbalin panabas. Are they the same? I notice you use padsumbalin to describe the condemned criminal. The term padsumbalin panabas appears in Robert Cato's book I think.
Old 11th April 2023, 01:12 PM   #7
tanaruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Yves,

Thank you again for clarifying the use of this interesting sword. There is a form of panabas that has a somewhat similar shaped blade as your binuwaya that has been called a padsumbalin panabas. Are they the same? I notice you use padsumbalin to describe the condemned criminal. The term padsumbalin panabas appears in Robert Cato's book I think.
Hello Ian,

Padsumbalin (Maguindanao term-not sure with the other moro group)- literally means the act of 'slitting' (i.e., the throat of a condemned criminal(Note: not to chop or lop the head off- as this was not 'proper' for them).

The binuayas in our collection is the classical, accepted form of the blade (this is because of the 3-nation representation of Maguindanao bangsamoro). The blade form must adhere to this form.

Since the term padsumbalin literally means the act of slitting the throat- perhaps other blades (besides the binuaya) might be used, or thought of to be used, for slitting throats, hence the term padsumbalin. IMHO.

'Padsumbalin panabas'. Unlike the binuaya whose length (size) they say is just right to be used for slitting throats, the panabas (from the word 'tabas') literally, in my opinion is best for 'chopping'. It's larger (than the binuaya) Our source say that wielders of the panabas, during battle, would chop (not slit) the wounded or disabled enemy.

Having said this- the term 'padsumbalin panabas', for us is quite hazy.

Saludos,

Yves

PS: do you have a picture of the so-called padsumbalin panabas?
Old 11th April 2023, 09:24 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz View Post
PS: do you have a picture of the so-called padsumbalin panabas?
Here is mine.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2023, 01:00 AM   #9
tanaruz

Hello,

yes. I believe that's another form of a panabas. To coin the word pedsumbalin to it could mean that it might have been used/could be used to slit throats in the battlefield.

My father would like to share the ff terminologies:Maguindanaon

SUMBALI - future tense. what will be done to a convicted criminal (tittle- maranao);

PEDSUMBALIN - present tense. what is being done to the criminal

SINUMBALI- past tense. what was done.

The weapon/blade used is called IBANUMBALI.

Saludos,

Yves
Old 12th April 2023, 06:24 AM   #10
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Yves,

Thanks again for the etymology of that blade type. Very helpful.

You note that the weapon/blade is called Ibanumbali. I see the prefix Iban in that word and it brings to mind the Iban people of Borneo, also known as Sea Dyaks to English-speaking colonials. The Iban were part of the pirate groups that swarmed the southern China Sea, and others included the Iranun from Mindanao, who were closely related to the Maranao and Maguindanao groups.

I'm wondering whether the Iban in Ibanumbali has a connection to the Iban people of Borneo, and that the weapon/blade has something to do with them (perhaps introduced via the Iranun who would have had direct contact with them). I know that sounds convoluted, but it is a thought that came to mind on seeing the term that you used.
Old 12th April 2023, 11:27 AM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Some further pictures from the Archives here, of various sizes, age and quality. I still have the top one, which is sharpened along the curve of the back edge also. The othr two are owned by other members of this Forum and I think are also sharpened on the back edge.

Attached Images

Old 12th April 2023, 12:34 PM   #12
tanaruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Some further pictures from the Archives here, of various sizes, age and quality. I still have the top one, which is sharpened along the curve of the back edge also. The othr two are owned by other members of this Forum and I think are also sharpened on the back edge.

Hi,

No. It is not associated with the headhunting tribe Iban(sea dayaks) of Borneo nor associated with the Iranun.

It's a term which simply describe the type of blade (binuaya) in the Maguindanaon dialect.

Note: lovely panabas pics!

Saludos,

Yves