Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th September 2011, 04:42 AM   #1
TVV

Default Ethiopian Shield for ID

Can you help me learn more about this shield? According to the seller, it was obtained in Asmara in the 1970s. I know little about shields, but I would have placed it a little further West, and not in Eritrea.
Thank you,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Martin Lubojacky

Hello Teodor,
I think this is typical Amhara shield - of lower quality. (Nevertheless the very acute conical shape and smaller diameter also evokes Ethiopian Dorze tribe). Since it was bought in Asmara, it could be interesting to know (I do not know), how typical Tigre and Tigray shield looks like...
Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
Hello Teodor,
I think this is typical Amhara shield - of lower quality. (Nevertheless the very acute conical shape and smaller diameter also evokes Ethiopian Dorze tribe). Since it was bought in Asmara, it could be interesting to know (I do not know), how typical Tigre and Tigray shield looks like...
Regards,
Martin
Martin, this has a remarkable similarity in my untrained eye to the Omani 'ters' shields. Could there be any connection ?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

Jim, you nailed me, I do not know how does Omani ters look like. Nevertheless this should be really Ethiopian.

I think Omani Arabs used to travel more to Zanzibar or East African coast.

But, on the other side, Kingdom of Sheba was allegedly situated both on Arab Peninsula and Eritrea/northern Ethiopia, also Aksum had good contacts with Arabic peninsula (if I am not mistaken) and more recently - Ethiopian chiefs were nearly in permanent wars with they muslim neighbours, e.g. with small Harar (not Harare) kingdom. I think they could influence each other
Old 12th September 2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Martin,
Sorry, did not mean to do that but just wondered on the Omani shield. I cant find one to post, but the picture I did find the 'turs' is small and someone conical but has more of a 'knob' type effect. I suppose there could be some superficial connection considering the trade from Ethiopian regions into Yemeni regions with rhino material, blades etc. and this would have been transmitted to Omani traders.
As always, very much admire your superb knowledge on African weapons !!!
Thank you so much,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 09:33 PM   #6
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
Hello Teodor,
Regards,
Martin
Thank you Martin,

I should have given an approximate diameter. It is 40 cm or 16" and it looks similar to shields wodimi has identified as Dorze in his excellent page. It also features an Omani buckler, described as Coastal Somalia and an Afar shield, but no Tigrean examples:

http://www.spearcollector.com/specia...ial%20set.html

Regards,
Teodor
Old 14th September 2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Teodor,
Definitely Ethiopian. But regarding more concrete identification I start to waver, too:
The shape (acute conical, narrow rim) looks like Dorze, on the other side, a few Dorze shield I kept in my hands were made of thicker leather than yours (maybe hippo) and extruded design was deep and more expresive.
I think Amhara shields have similar design, but the design is not not as deep as Dorze and is more tiny. There is a book "Ethiopia Photographed" (I think by Pankhurst, donīt have it now) and If I remember well there should be some pictures of ordinary Amhara shields (kept by ordinary soldiers)- that means without any either brass or silver atc. forging.
It is a pity that experts in Ethiopian shields do not participate in this discussion.
Regards,
Martin
Old 15th September 2011, 11:53 PM   #8
TVV

Thank you Martin,

Your observations are very well placed and appreciated. I agree that my shield is most likely a crude Amhara one. Spring also mentions that many shields were left without any silver plates, since these were reserved as awards for distinguished warriors only, and that brass plates were often disliked. I can also see the little holes he writes about, used for stretching the shield during its manufacturing process.

I guess a lot of members may be still travelling as the summer is not yet over, but I am sure those who know a lot about Ethiopian arms and armour will eventually join the discussion.

Regards,
Teodor
Old 5th December 2011, 08:48 AM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Thank you Martin,

Your observations are very well placed and appreciated. I agree that my shield is most likely a crude Amhara one. Spring also mentions that many shields were left without any silver plates, since these were reserved as awards for distinguished warriors only, and that brass plates were often disliked. I can also see the little holes he writes about, used for stretching the shield during its manufacturing process.

I guess a lot of members may be still travelling as the summer is not yet over, but I am sure those who know a lot about Ethiopian arms and armour will eventually join the discussion.

Regards,
Teodor
Salaams Teodor, here are some Omani terrs shields ... The Omanis apparently got these from Zanzibar (probably meaning anywhere down the East African Coast.) though they are also mentioned as Hippo Rhino Waterbuffalo or Whale Hide by European visitors in the 19th C. Often adorned with silver on the "knopp" raised centre and with brass securing plates keeping the handle tight and used to twist the opposing sword. Another form exists made from palm and hide from the Wahiibah in Oman which looks very similar.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 02:57 PM   #10
Dom

Hi
I guess, more likely to Ethiopia or Somalia,
manufactured from hippopotamus skin

ā +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams ~ Just adding two pictures of palm and goat leather bucklers from central Oman and Dhofar.Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2011, 09:21 PM   #12
TVV

Ibrahim,
Thank you for the pictures of the palm and leather bucklers. Which book are those from?
Teodor
Old 12th December 2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Ibrahim,
Thank you for the pictures of the palm and leather bucklers. Which book are those from?
Teodor

Salaams Teodor~ The book which comprises 2 volumes is "The Craft Herritage of Oman" by Neil Richardson and Marcia Dorr (published by Motivate Publishing)
ISBN 1 86063 1 58 4.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 12th December 2011, 06:34 PM   #14
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Teodor~ The book which comprises 2 volumes is "The Craft Herritage of Oman" by Neil Richardson and Marcia Dorr (published by Motivate Publishing)
ISBN 1 86063 1 58 4.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Thank you Ibrahim,
Teodor