Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th March 2013, 12:51 AM   #1
FilAmfighter1

Default My two newest additions-Filipino Blades

I found and old guy who was vet, and had these old blades sitting at his place. I got the two for good price. The story goes they were brought back by a couple of GIs after WW-II. Both are missing their scabbards. I would like to clean off the rust, what is the best way to clean and then restore these blades?
Attached Images

FilAmfighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 01:56 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Default Rust removal

A very easy method of rust removal is to soak blade in pineapple juice. Juice from supermarket and plastic pipe of suitable diam to take the blade, with one end sealed off. End of pipe serves to hold hilt with blade suspended in the juice. This method does not damage the blade in any way.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Sajen

Nice kampilan and Luzon "kris"/sword. Great find. I personally would use very fine sand paper in combination with oil or WD 40. Pineapple juice will do the job as well but the blades will get a rough and "grey" surface and you will need the sanding after this also. And the sanding will have the effect that the blade don't lose the antique look.
I have done it for example in this way by this blade: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16673

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Until I have further evidence, I think your Luzon sword maybe from Ilocos Norte region.

The kampilan is not rare, but certainly not that common either, based on the style of the less seen guard.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 12:56 AM   #5
FilAmfighter1

Default The Kampulan Guard

I can post so more pictures on the hand guard, if it would help, on the blade there is a saying that someone started to grind off. It gets me to wonder what it said and why someone would do that.
FilAmfighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 01:34 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

There was a period of time when, from the Victorian era till the 1930s?, that collectors wanted every blade to be shiny. So many would grind and polish off blade engravings and inscriptions, to be nice and shiny. They would even nickel plate or chrome plate blades (as well as throw away scabbards ).

Angering but not surprising that many of these blades don't have scabbards and are ground down. In fact, 3 years ago, I knew of an idiot that chromed an American Civil War sword before selling it to a friend of mine.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 03:39 AM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

Great finds FilAmfighter1, I especially like the Ilocos Norte kris sword. The kampilan is also very nice and I have been wanting to find one with that style of guard for my own collection. Looking at your photos the kris looks massive. Could you possibly post its dimensions for later reference? As for cleaning the rust. I wrap the blades of my items with rags, soak in WD40 and then wrap them in plastic bags to seal them and let set aside for a week or two to loosen the rust. DO NOT wrap the hilt, blade only. I then use 0000 steel wool and more WD40 to finish removing the rust. When done rinse off blade with solvent and dry. I then apply Ren wax and polish.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 03:59 AM   #8
imas560

Hello,
was wondering Robert what kind of solvent for the "When done rinse off blade with solvent and dry"? I have a couple of pieces that have rust spots that I would like to eliminate as they are a little aggresive.
thanks
imas560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 04:56 AM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Imas560, I use Hoppe's No. 9 gun solvent but any good gun solvent would work. Hope that this is of some help.

Best,
Robert
Old 20th March 2013, 07:13 AM   #10
imas560

Hello Robert,
had a quick look at my gun cleaning stuff and there's a small half filled bottle of Hoppes No. 9 "Powder Solvent" as well as some "Tetra Gun Copper Solvent".
If I remember correctly the tetra solvent is great for filthy lead caked barrels and for stripping the arse out of all it touches, so I'll keep that in its own little haz substance area. Do you dilute the Hoppes or apply full strength to rag and wipe down blade?
I also found an un-opened pottle of some Renaissance wax polish I'd been saving for a special occasion so I'm raring to go.
thanks for your help
imas560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 07:26 AM   #11
Robert
EAAF Staff

Full strength on a clean rag.

Best,
Robert