Old 29th November 2007, 05:52 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default Mendhak Jogja and Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrylaki
Oups....I know the mendak is wrong.
Will chang it soon.
Dear Ferry,

This is just one example, on mendhak. The left side, is mendhak type of "kendhit" (Jogjanese), and the right side, "kendhit" type of Solonese. There are only slight differences on the details of the mendhak (Please look at the neck of the mendhak)...

These are types of mendhak "kendhit" inten seling mirah (simple diamond and mirah?)

I hope it will be useful to you...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 06:09 AM   #2
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
Dear Ferry,

This is just one example, on mendhak. The left side, is mendhak type of "kendhit" (Jogjanese), and the right side, "kendhit" type of Solonese. There are only slight differences on the details of the mendhak (Please look at the neck of the mendhak)...

These are types of mendhak "kendhit" inten seling mirah (simple diamond and mirah?)

I hope it will be useful to you...

Ganjawulung
Thank you Ganjawulung.
I've call our dear friend Mr Jumanto to provide some jogjanese silver mendak.
ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 06:15 AM   #3
ganjawulung

Default Mendhak Robyong

And these are examples on "robyong" type (pile types). From left to right, (1) Jogjanese "robyong", similar to "segara muncar" (sea wave?) of Solonese. (2) Jogjanese robyong with "inten" (simple diamonds), and (3) Solonese "bejen" type.

I hope I was not mistaken with my simple understanding on mendhaks..

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 29th November 2007, 03:23 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Thumbs up

Great thread subject Ganja. I would like to encourage you to post more comparison examples along this vein.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 03:18 AM   #5
PenangsangII

Pak Ganja, apart from the stones used for the deco, what is actually the difference between Solo & Jogja mendaks? I still cant tell the difference...
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 03:47 AM   #6
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Great thread subject Ganja. I would like to encourage you to post more comparison examples along this vein.
Thanks David, for the recomendation. I post this thread, because many of us still have difficulty in differing whether this and that mendhak are from Jogja style or Solo style. I've often seen, people show kerises with Jogja warangka but unfortunately with Solo mendhak, or even with Solonese hilt... Or vice versa.

These were just simple examples...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Pak Ganja, apart from the stones used for the deco, what is actually the difference between Solo & Jogja mendaks? I still cant tell the difference...
I would suggest you the look carefully at the details. Jogja and Solo style in mendhaks, are only differed from the very small details. It is better if I post the same picture, more close up of each mendhak from pictures above...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 30th November 2007, 03:49 AM   #7
Boedhi Adhitya

Oh, well... I'm afraid we would repeat some past discussion..

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...7004#post47004

According to my understanding, the most notable different features of Jogja's and Solo's mendhak is their 'ungkat-ungkatan'. Solo's has a thin, skinny ungkat-ungkat, and Jogja's has a cone-shape ungkat-ungkat.

As a picture worth more than a thousand words, I attach some pictures which had been posted before, with some comments added. I apologize for 'copyright infringement', if any, and also to Mas Ganjawulung.

To Mas Ferry, you could find a fair/good new mendhak easily, usually the better one come in silver and yakut, but the old, good one (I mean, the better then the best new one could available), unfortunately, quite rare today.

Finding the right 'proportion' on ukiran (handle), mendhak, wrangka and pendhok is very tricky. Size, shapes, color, textures and balance/harmony have come into account. You must have several good stock of handles, mendhaks and pendhoks to make proper adjustment. And the utmost is, you must have 'the feeling' to judge the proper harmony. It is the most important part, and unfortunately, that money can't buy. It is also not easy to learn.
Attached Images

Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 04:18 AM   #8
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boedhi Adhitya
According to my understanding, the most notable different features of Jogja's and Solo's mendhak is their 'ungkat-ungkatan'. Solo's has a thin, skinny ungkat-ungkat, and Jogja's has a cone-shape ungkat-ungkat.

As a picture worth more than a thousand words, I attach some pictures which had been posted before, with some comments added. I apologize for 'copyright infringement', if any, and also to Mas Ganjawulung.

To Mas Ferry, you could find a fair/good new mendhak easily, usually the better one come in silver and yakut, but the old, good one (I mean, the better then the best new one could available), unfortunately, quite rare today.

Finding the right 'proportion' on ukiran (handle), mendhak, wrangka and pendhok is very tricky. Size, shapes, color, textures and balance/harmony have come into account. You must have several good stock of handles, mendhaks and pendhoks to make proper adjustment. And the utmost is, you must have 'the feeling' to judge the proper harmony. It is the most important part, and unfortunately, that money can't buy. It is also not easy to learn.
Many Thanks, to your correction Mas Boedhy. As a "priyantun Jogja" of course you are reliable to determine which is the proper Jogja style, or which is not proper. This could happened, because I am Solonese but a fans of Jogjanese style. Jogja style is admirable...

I would post the other (Jogja) mendhaks. Do you think the second one is another style of Jogja kendhit?

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 30th November 2007, 05:01 AM   #9
Boedhi Adhitya

Yes, Mas Ganja. All the mendhak's pictures on your latest post are Jogjas, IMHO. The one with gems is kendhit. It use filigree in spite of ordinary meniran/beads. Just a variation, I think. Kendhit means belt, belted with gems, in this case, and the one with metal ball called mendhak lugas. Lugas simply means 'plain'. The kendhit is not necessarily better than lugas. With a good balance and execution, the lugas frequently beat the ordinary kendhit, in term of beauty, not money, of course

Please bear in mind, while the 'lugas' and 'kendhit' are the proper terminology to define the mendhak's type especially in the court's circle, it might be unrecognized by some local seller. You might use 'polos' instead of 'lugas' (means the same, 'plain') or with/without mata (='eyes', the gems). 'robyong' is recognizable for three tier mendhak (might also in use with dhapurs, ex. sinom robyong).

Last edited by Boedhi Adhitya; 30th November 2007 at 06:05 AM.
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Karttikeya

Need to be identified below mendhak, what type of this mendhak?
Thanks..
Attached Images

Karttikeya is offline   Reply With Quote