Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd June 2016, 04:23 PM   #1
Jerseyman

Default Security Marking Collection

Our local constabulary recently provided our entire neighbourhood with Smart Water home security packs. This property marking kit contains a liquid which dries leaving a mark visible under UV light. The liquid has a unique forensic code which is assigned to your property alone. If you move you notify the company.
What you do if you dispose of the item I'm not sure.

I've checked the company's website and it appears that the liquid is made from metal-based materials containing no organic compounds. If a stolen item is found to be marked I believe a section of the Smart Water is removed (scraped off?) which might leave a small mark on the item.

My questions are - has anybody used this product to mark their collection? Does anyone have any information indicating whether it might or might not be a good idea to mark weapons?

All thoughts welcome.
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 05:06 PM   #2
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyman
Our local constabulary recently provided our entire neighbourhood with Smart Water home security packs. This property marking kit contains a liquid which dries leaving a mark visible under UV light. The liquid has a unique forensic code which is assigned to your property alone...............
My questions are - has anybody used this product to mark their collection? Does anyone have any information indicating whether it might or might not be a good idea to mark weapons? All thoughts welcome.
I have never heard of this before but in my opinion the best thing to do is adequately photograph your items and post images of them on a photo gallery such as Photobucket or Pinterest and if possible on a forum such as this one. If your items are stolen you then have dated photographic evidence of possession before the item was stolen.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 05:09 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

VERY INTERESTING THE FIRST QUESTION I ASK IS HOW CORROSIVE IS THIS LIQUID WOULD IT PROMOTE RUST IF USED ON METAL?. SECOND, DOES IT WASH OR RUB OFF EASY? THIRD, UNTIL POLICE DEPARTMENTS ARE COMMONLY USING THIS FORM OF IDENTIFICATION THE ONLY ONES WHO COULD CHECK FOR YOU IS THE COMPANY WHO MAKES THE STUFF. IF THOSE THREE THINGS ARE WORKED OUT AND NOT A PROBLEM IT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD EASY WAY TO MARK COLLECTIONS ESPECIALLY LARGE ONES . KIND OF LIKE MALE ANIMALS MARK THEIR TERRITORY NO DOUBT THAT LEAVES A UNIQUE ONE KIND OF MARK AS WELL, MOTHER NATURE USUALLY BEATS MAN TO IT EVERY TIME.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

I think it must be the same liquied I told about a year or two back - not much interest as far as I remember.
As far as I recall, the dealer has a number registrated by the police, and when the pilice find anything with that number, they contact the dealer, and he will know who the customer is. I seem to remember that it is used in the UK and in some Scandinavian countries.
The thing is, that thiefs cant see the number, and they no doubt have no time to use an UW light, so when the police finds a lot of items - not belonging to the thieves - they can use UW light to find out from where the items come.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 07:25 PM   #5
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
I have never heard of this before but in my opinion the best thing to do is adequately photograph your items and post images of them on a photo gallery such as Photobucket or Pinterest and if possible on a forum such as this one. If your items are stolen you then have dated photographic evidence of possession before the item was stolen.
Normally I would agree with the posting of photo's. However thanks to misguided politicians owning ivory is now illegal in some parts (even extinct ivory) so you would be subjected to confiscation and destruction of the offending item. Just be careful.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 08:26 PM   #6
Gavin Nugent

I personally do not believe marking your items will protect your items or offer security. If stolen they may go to a collection for generations, you will have long passed. I suggest insurance and photos.
I prefer privacy and security, a 6 foot fence, 2 German shepherds, security doors and windows, a monitored alarm system and a bad attitude...it is thus far worked for me....and if some one comes at me with a gun, I'll give them $10 for fuel...then revert back to insurance.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 08:28 PM   #7
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross
Normally I would agree with the posting of photo's. However thanks to misguided politicians owning ivory is now illegal in some parts (even extinct ivory) so you would be subjected to confiscation and destruction of the offending item. Just be careful.
It is NOT ivory, it is BONE!!!
Old 23rd June 2016, 08:32 PM   #8
kahnjar1

I seem to remember that this UV "system" was promoted in this country some time ago for marking electronic items such as TVs, Laptops etc. Don't know how wide spread its use was or if it is still available but when I get some time I will investigate.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 08:37 PM   #9
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent
I personally do not believe marking your items will protect your items or offer security. If stolen they may go to a collection for generations, you will have long passed. I suggest insurance and photos.
I prefer privacy and security, a 6 foot fence, 2 German shepherds, security doors and windows, a monitored alarm system and a bad attitude...it is thus far worked for me....and if some one comes at me with a gun, I'll give them $10 for fuel...then revert back to insurance.

Gavin
Gavin, privacy is a good defense, the start of many problems is with people you know or have been inside your house for some reason, repairmen, neighbors, friends, relatives, etc. I am very careful as to who comes in my house and what they see...I do not openly display items or discuss what I collect with most people. Security is next, I have automatic security lights all around my house that come on after dark if anyone walks near them, security screen doors with stainless steel mesh and aircraft aluminium frames, steel bars on the INSIDE of all windows....security sign in the front yard and security camaras (not currently hooked up)...need to work on that.
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:44 PM   #10
Jens Nordlunde

I agree with Eric very much - but you can also end up living in a Fort Knox - and who would like that?
I also seem to remember, that the ones who had chosen the invisiable system, also got stickers to put onto the windows - so thieves were 'warned'. It seemed that the breac in rate doopped drastically after this was started.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:21 PM   #11
Helleri

There is no such thing as perfect security. All you can do is make the crime not worth it for the effort. If someone wants something bad enough they will get it. But imo that is a bit off topic as the OP posted about recourse and not prevention. Personally I wouldn't use anything I don't know enough about (like a mystery formula chemical property).

I think in these regards the best thing one can do is have a lot of documentation. Take time stamped pictures from every angle. Store them on some fashion of flash memory, Get an appraisal on pieces, keep all receipts and invoices regarding a piece from purchase, maintenance, and appraisals. And keep all of this in a safe place. Which is not your house. If your house were to be broken into and things stolen, then obviously any information kept there is not safe either. Keep it in a safety deposit box at a bank.

Ultimately if stolen items are recovered, it is going to come down to a few things like:
- How quickly you reported the items stolen.
- The level of detail in your report.
- The amount of evidence showing that you are the original owner.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 03:22 PM   #12
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
I agree with Eric very much - but you can also end up living in a Fort Knox - and who would like that?
Jen you are absolutely right, having lived in a few security challanged cities I have learned a few ways to make your residence very secure without looking like you are living in a concentration camp.

The weak link in most residences are the doors and windows. Doors usually open inward, this allows for a screen door to be installed on the outside of the door which opens outward. It is very easy to force / kick in an inward opening door, in addition many doors have a window inserted into the door or have a window right next to the door. There are many videos online showing police and criminals breaking into houses by forcing the door open as there is only a small leak latch holding the door shut, the other way is by simply breaking the window in or next to the door.

Windows are the other weak link, it is extremely easy to break the glass, reach in and unlatch the lock and climb in.

Window bars and security screen doors can almost eliminate this threat, only the most determined criminal would have the tools with them to over come this type of security. Window bars should be installed INSIDE the house, this keeps you place from looking like a prison from the outside and it is much harder for a determined criminal to cut through inside bars as they have to break the window glass and work in a much smaller space, also the bars should be painted white or a color that matches your inside wall color.

Criminals, there are basically two types, the opportunist who can easily detered with just a slight amount of effort and the determined criminal who either thinks you are well off or even knows that you have something of great value and is willing to take a risk in order to rob you. If someone is dead set on gaining entry and they have enough time, tools, privacy intelligence etc it is very hard to eliminate all avenues of entry.

Below are some images from my house. My front door has a glass insert, anyone can break this glass, reach in and unlock the door in seconds, they do not need any tools, a rock will do.

There are three types of screen doors, the average ones were your dog can walk through the screen and the frame will fold up if you close it to hard. Then there is a security screen door with iron bars, this is quite good and not to expensive. The next step up is the high security screen door, two to three times as expensive, mine has a steel inner fame with is screwed to the house and does not allow the door to open inward no matter how much force is applied. The stainless steel mesh which keeps bugs out is virtually impossible to cut, rip etc even with tools such as a crowbar, the door frame is aircraft aluminum, hard and light. You can keep your front door open and get fresh air without worrying about someone breaking in.
Attached Images

Last edited by estcrh; 26th June 2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 25th June 2016, 03:31 PM   #13
estcrh

Window bars are not very expensive and they work quite well, on rooms with only one entrance the bars need to be hinged and able to be locked so that incase of a fire or other emergency you can open the bars and window and excape to the outside.

If the window bars are on the inside your house will not look like a prison and since most people have curtains ot shudders etc on the inside you will not see the bars very much, I painted mine white to blend in.
Attached Images

Old 25th June 2016, 03:39 PM   #14
estcrh

Camaras, motion sensor security lights and signs are a good deterrent, you can buy security company signs and have warning signs made to order, cameras do not have to work you can buy dummy cameras cheap, place signs on your front door and gates. Security systems and working cameras are the next line of defense after securing windows and doors, many security companies will install signs, cameras and alarms for a reduced price or even for free with a monitoring contract.

Motion sensor security lights are not expensive, they will come on when someone walks near them, they even make ones with solar panels if you do not have electricity easily available. These will also help light up the outside of your residence at night if you go outside, they are timed and will turn off automatically. I have them on both sides of my house, the whole side lights up if anyone walks along the house at night.
Attached Images

Last edited by estcrh; 26th June 2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 26th June 2016, 02:24 PM   #15
Gavin Nugent

Neat visual deterrents Eric, almost guaranteed that those inspired to steal would move along.

Just add this sign and the door matt that reads, "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again.

The dogs can take care of the rest :-)

Gavin

PS, don't forget to secure within the roof too.
Attached Images

Old 27th June 2016, 10:45 PM   #16
estcrh

Quote:
Neat visual deterrents Eric, almost guaranteed that those inspired to steal would move along.

Just add this sign and the door matt that reads, "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again.

The dogs can take care of the rest :-)

Gavin

PS, don't forget to secure within the roof too.
Gavin, great sign, not sure about the roof, maybe roofs down under are different than in the states.
Old 28th June 2016, 02:04 PM   #17
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Gavin, great sign, not sure about the roof, maybe roofs down under are different than in the states.
Many have been known to lift a few roof tiles or roof sheets and get in and come down through the access in to the ceiling space...heck one died in a roof many years ago, zapped himself on some wires in there and was toast.

Gavin
Old 28th June 2016, 02:39 PM   #18
drac2k

Nosey neighbors are a great deterrent as well.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 05:26 PM   #19
kronckew

gun-free zone neighbors are also useful. just post this on your property:
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 02:35 AM   #20
estcrh

Quote:
Many have been known to lift a few roof tiles or roof sheets and get in and come down through the access in to the ceiling space...heck one died in a roof many years ago, zapped himself on some wires in there and was toast.

Gavin
Gavin, in the US most roofs are covered with sheets of plywood or something similar, then asphalt tile or some other type of roofing is nailed / stapled to the wood underneath, not much access to someone to enter unless they want to pull up tiles and cut a hole through the wood.
Attached Images