Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th March 2023, 01:20 PM   #1
Akanthus

Default Love on the second glimpse

Sometimes interesting what you can find in the web.A powderhorn,nothing spectacular,like hundrets others on the market.Around 22 cm long,made from horn, stag horn and wood.It seems to be loved and often used by his owner,because the condition is not the best .After the second glimps on the engravings it becomes interesting.On one side there is a lying hind and a stag, scratching his ear with his leg.Both are shown in in a landscape and it looks, as if they were taken from a Disney movie, seomehow looking funny.Similar engravings you can find on riflestocks and huntingsword blades in the middle of the 18.Century.On the other side of the powderhorn it becomes dramatically.Under a latin inscription you can see a creature , half human half stag,which is heavily attacked from 3 dogs.Two of them are already biting into the creatures ears.If you know,that the antique greece ans roman mythologie plays a significant role in the european culture of the 18.Century, you can assume,that the creature is Actaeon.Diana transforms him into a stag after he had observed she and her nymphs taking a bath in a spring.His hunting dogs did not recognized him anymore and killed him.The inscription " Acta on ego sum, Dominum cognoscite ves Trium " i would translate very free to " I am hunted,you wii know the master of the three " Certainly somebody else can translate it better. The great craftsmanship of the engravings is fascinating.A lot of art and hunting history on a rather simple object.
Attached Images

Akanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2023, 03:47 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Great powderhorn, Akanthus .
Perhaps the engraved text would be Actaeon ego sum: dominum cognoscite vestrum! meaning I am Actaeon: know your master.
Actaeon, in Geeek mythology, was a great hunter.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2023, 01:31 PM   #3
Raf

Default Love on the second glimps

What a lovely thing. Reminds me of seventeenth century priming flasks that incorporate a wheelock spanner. The construction seems unusual in that it looks like two slices of horn have been riveted together. Maybe you could confirm this is correct.
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2023, 05:27 PM   #4
Akanthus

Smile

[QUOTE=fernando;280694]Great powderhorn, Akanthus .
Perhaps the engraved text would be Actaeon ego sum: dominum cognoscite vestrum! meaning I am Actaeon: know your master.
Actaeon, in Geeek mythology, was a great hunter.

Thank you Fernando.I think the latin in Germany of the 18.Century is so bumpy as my english today
Attached Images

Old 25th March 2023, 05:37 PM   #5
Akanthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
What a lovely thing. Reminds me of seventeenth century priming flasks that incorporate a wheelock spanner. The construction seems unusual in that it looks like two slices of horn have been riveted together. Maybe you could confirm this is correct.
Yes,i think you are right.It seems to be a bent bigger piece for the corpus and a smaller for the back.Both riveted together.
Old 28th March 2023, 03:01 AM   #6
Dmitry

I wonder why the text is split like it is. And what do you think is depicted under the stag? It appears to be a man-made structure.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 09:45 AM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
... I wonder why the text is split like it is...
Maybe the engraver copied the inscription from another implement, split in context, and did not know Latin enough to recompose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
... And what do you think is depicted under the stag? It appears to be a man-made structure.
Actaeon himself ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 12:04 PM   #8
Raf

I think Dmitry means the architectural looking structure below the image of the stag scratching his ear. Fences for shooting driven game ?
Old 28th March 2023, 01:48 PM   #9
Dmitry

I was considering the same thing as suggested by Fernando - the text is split in two columns of approximately equal size, as it would be in the following, or similar scenarios: On the sides of a blade with a wide fuller; On the sides of a blade with rhomboid-cross section; On the sides of a hexagonal, or similar, gun barrel.

Raf is right. This is what I'm wondering about.
Attached Images

Old 28th March 2023, 03:15 PM   #10
Raf

Deer hunting with nets.
Attached Images

Old 30th March 2023, 05:38 PM   #11
Dmitry

Raf, I agree with your sentiments; this is something hunting-related, perhaps a ditch with stakes...
Old 31st March 2023, 11:31 AM   #12
Raf

From the Complete German Hunter 1724. A small shooting party firing from cover.
Even Von Fleming, the author was outraged by the slaughter. One wonders whether this flask might have been presented as a prize or momento of such an event. Hence the classical allusion to Actaeon the victorious hunter.
Attached Images

Last edited by Raf; 31st March 2023 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added image