Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th March 2019, 07:55 PM   #1
thinreadline

Default Arabic script on blade

Can anyone give me an idea of what this blade decoration says , please ? Or is it simply decorative ?
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 11:14 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is thuluth script which was placed on Sudanese weapons during the rule of the Caliph in the Mahdiyya post 1885, and pre Omdurman (1898). These inscriptions were acid etched invocations and Quranic phrases which were placed in repetition in most cases on various tribal edged weapons. There were countless examples of these weapons not only from the field at Omdurman, but throughout these areas in these times.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2019, 01:00 AM   #3
thinreadline

Thanks Jim , much appreciated as always . I suspected as much as the script is very similar to other known Sudanese weapons of this period in my collection , but the beaded scabbard put me off , what is your opinion on the scabbard ...... here it is ...
Attached Images

Old 20th March 2019, 01:26 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

On the scabbard I'd have to defer as the entire assembly and rehilting of old blade is pretty modern. With these kinds of adjustments its best left to those familiar with modern souvenir items in various African settings.

Always thought these acid etched blades were pretty fascinating and did some extensive research on them last year. It seems there were native forces assembled from numerous tribes and locales and their indigenous weapon types were often added into those of the Sudanese, and talismanic commonality imbued into the array.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2019, 09:17 AM   #5
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
On the scabbard I'd have to defer as the entire assembly and rehilting of old blade is pretty modern. With these kinds of adjustments its best left to those familiar with modern souvenir items in various African settings.

Always thought these acid etched blades were pretty fascinating and did some extensive research on them last year. It seems there were native forces assembled from numerous tribes and locales and their indigenous weapon types were often added into those of the Sudanese, and talismanic commonality imbued into the array.
Thanks Jim , much appreciated .
Old 21st March 2019, 02:10 PM   #6
Kubur

One bit is readable, maybe Ibrahem can do it??
I agree with Jim most probably 1900 post-Omdurman.
Still good for me!
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote