Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd October 2015, 05:50 PM   #61
O. Baskurt

Hello Miguel very nice protected piece you have here belongs to time Sultan 2nd Abdülhamid times there was a cavalary unit called Ertuğrul Alayı and this sword we call in Turkey as Ertuğrul Alayı Kılıcı ( Sword of Ertuğrul Alayı) has a definitive crossguard is speacially made for this cavalary unit and hilt is slighly different ( but very smiliar ) than usual pear shaped pommel and blade is different than late period kilij and also used in another regions of Ottoman too. as i see the blade is as well original staying in your piece

with Best regards
O. Baskurt

Last edited by O. Baskurt; 22nd October 2015 at 09:46 PM.
O. Baskurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 06:29 PM   #62
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
I will, do you have the page number? Or I have to look at the whole chapter?
I suggest to read also Alexander and Zaki.
I am told that particular quote on the saif may be around page 10.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 08:24 PM   #63
Miguel

WOW, When I posted this thread I never dreamed it would develop as it has. I am only a simple collector who wished confirmation of the sword which was answered in the first couple of replies, amazing how the subject changes but very interesting if not somewhat confusing for someone with only a little knowledge like me. This is what I like about this forum I learn something every time I log on.
I googled all the sword type names i.e. Kilij, Saif and Shamshir etc. to seek clarification but I can tell you that every thing contained in the thread could be found. I think that. for myself, I am better sticking to the name the sword conjures up in my mind otherwise it becomes to confusing.
Thank you everyone for your comments and time.
Regards
Miguel
ps Can anyone translate the blade stamp.
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:32 AM   #64
Kubur

Hi Miguel,

One very similar, I would say 1850ties, probably from an officer in the artillery.
have a look at the beautiful Persian blade!

Best,
Kubur
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 06:59 PM   #65
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. Baskurt
Hello Miguel very nice protected piece you have here belongs to time Sultan 2nd Abdülhamid times there was a cavalary unit called Ertuğrul Alayı and this sword we call in Turkey as Ertuğrul Alayı Kılıcı ( Sword of Ertuğrul Alayı) has a definitive crossguard is speacially made for this cavalary unit and hilt is slighly different ( but very smiliar ) than usual pear shaped pommel and blade is different than late period kilij and also used in another regions of Ottoman too. as i see the blade is as well original staying in your piece

with Best regards
O. Baskurt
Hello Mr Baskurt and thank you for your very interesting and informative comments regarding my sword. I would ask you to forgive my lack of knowledge of Turkish history and would be grateful if you would be kind enough to advise me of the date that Sultan 2nd Abdulhamid ruled, also do you know what the blade stamp reads.
Best regards
Miguel
Old 23rd October 2015, 07:09 PM   #66
Miguel

Quote:
Hi Miguel,

One very similar, I would say 1850ties, probably from an officer in the artillery.

Best,
Kubur
Hi Kubur, Thanks for sharing this sword it is a beauty. I always have a problem with the patterns different techniques produce on the blade surface, impaired vision problems, and would be grateful if you would tell me if the pattern on your blade is Damascus or Wootz or other.
Best regards
Miguel
Old 23rd October 2015, 08:44 PM   #67
O. Baskurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
Hello Mr Baskurt and thank you for your very interesting and informative comments regarding my sword. I would ask you to forgive my lack of knowledge of Turkish history and would be grateful if you would be kind enough to advise me of the date that Sultan 2nd Abdulhamid ruled, also do you know what the blade stamp reads.
Best regards
Miguel
Well i can not read the stamp because we are not using the same alphabet anymore it might be Arabic writings but i will download picture and will show my historician friends some of them know Ottoman language ( well it is basically nowadays turkish with mixture of persian and arabian but alphabet is Arabic ) about the date end of 19th century and beginning of 20th century it is not very long ago as Kubur showed i think his blade is more older than yours and kubur's sword maybe dressed in that fashion later on because this type used in Ottoman provinces except that unit and as well as some pashas ( lord of Ottoman ) of that time has this type of sword with gold and silver inlays and your blade is really significant type of that unit it has a slightly yelman (false edge) and 2 grooves 1 small 1 big so i can say all examples till nowadays from that unit shows the same exactly the same type with your sword

with my best regards
O. Baskurt
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:50 PM   #68
estcrh

Quote:
Hi Miguel,

Best,
Kubur
I was thinking of the same sword, here are a couple different images that may show the damascus blade a little better.
Attached Images

Old 25th October 2015, 03:37 PM   #69
Miguel

Quote:
Well i can not read the stamp because we are not using the same alphabet anymore it might be Arabic writings but i will download picture and will show my historician friends some of them know Ottoman language ( well it is basically nowadays turkish with mixture of persian and arabian but alphabet is Arabic ) about the date end of 19th century and beginning of 20th century it is not very long ago as Kubur showed i think his blade is more older than yours and kubur's sword maybe dressed in that fashion later on because this type used in Ottoman provinces except that unit and as well as some pashas ( lord of Ottoman ) of that time has this type of sword with gold and silver inlays and your blade is really significant type of that unit it has a slightly yelman (false edge) and 2 grooves 1 small 1 big so i can say all examples till nowadays from that unit shows the same exactly the same type with your sword

with my best regards
O. Baskurt
Hello Mr Baskurt, Thank you very much for your reply. The information you have provided has been most informative, all I need now to put "the icing on the cake" is a translation of the stamp. Thank you once again.
Best regards
Miguel
Old 25th October 2015, 03:41 PM   #70
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
I was thinking of the same sword, here are a couple different images that may show the damascus blade a little better.
Absolutely Wonderful sword, what a beautiful blade.
Regards
Miguel
Old 25th October 2015, 05:14 PM   #71
O. Baskurt

about the stamp it is maker's insignia i guess one answer i get is it is written "Muhammed or Mehmet" in the middle of stamp but of course they said it is hard to read can you maybe provide a better photo with 90 degree angle to it ?
Old 25th October 2015, 06:29 PM   #72
estcrh

Quote:
I will, do you have the page number? Or I have to look at the whole chapter?
I suggest to read also Alexander and Zaki.
Kuber, any luck finding that quote in Elgoods book? It should be on or near page 10 from what I was told.
Old 25th October 2015, 08:15 PM   #73
Kubur

Quote:
Kuber, any luck finding that quote in Elgoods book? It should be on or near page 10 from what I was told.
Hi,
yes the chapter on the swords starts page 10.
But there are a lot of things. What are you looking for exactly??
Best,
Old 25th October 2015, 08:47 PM   #74
estcrh

Quote:
Hi,
yes the chapter on the swords starts page 10.
But there are a lot of things. What are you looking for exactly??
Best,
Can you verify if this quote was correctly copied and are there any other brief mentions of saif? Thanks!

Quote:
The curved sword or sabre, known as a saif was usually locally made and derived from Persia from where it was imported or from Egypt, Iraq and Syria. These countries imitated the Persian blade form and adopted the technology.
Old 31st October 2015, 07:15 PM   #75
Kubur

Quote:
Can you verify if this quote was correctly copied and are there any other brief mentions of saif? Thanks!
Hi,
Sorry for the dealy that's correct and its page 10.
Then he talks about the nimcha. But this story of saif and shamshir is much more complicated. For me the sabre is something from the East, coming to Middle East with the Moghols at the end of the 13th c.
best,
Kubur
Old 31st October 2015, 07:17 PM   #76
Kubur

Hi Miguel,
Here is mine, less sexy than yours but still Ottoman end of 19th or very early 20th c.
Best Kubur
Attached Images

Old 31st October 2015, 08:57 PM   #77
estcrh

Quote:
Hi,
Sorry for the dealy that's correct and its page 10.
Then he talks about the nimcha. But this story of saif and shamshir is much more complicated. For me the sabre is something from the East, coming to Middle East with the Moghols at the end of the 13th c.
best,
Kubur
Thanks Kuber, there is a lot of conflicting references on saif, hard to tell which is correct. As for the introduction of curved swords here is a reference.

Mamluk Costume: A Survey, Leo Ary Mayer, 1952.
Attached Images

Old 1st November 2015, 01:47 AM   #78
estcrh

Quote:
Hi Miguel,
Here is mine, less sexy than yours but still Ottoman end of 19th or very early 20th c.
Best Kubur
Kuber, a nice and rare example, the end of an era, yours must be close to the time period of the transition to a more European military sword.
Attached Images

Old 3rd December 2015, 04:22 PM   #79
Miguel

Quote:
about the stamp it is maker's insignia i guess one answer i get is it is written "Muhammed or Mehmet" in the middle of stamp but of course they said it is hard to read can you maybe provide a better photo with 90 degree angle to it ?
Hello Mr Baskurt,

I have only just noticed that I have missed your last reply and would like to apologise for this oversight, I hope you did not think that I ignored it deliberately.
I can only put it down to getting old and forgetful and trust you will accept my apology. Thank you for the information re the blade stamp and I will try and provide a clearer photo of it once I have received my PC from the repairers and it is up and running.
Best regards
Miguel
Old 4th December 2015, 09:46 PM   #80
O. Baskurt

Quote:
Hello Mr Baskurt,

I have only just noticed that I have missed your last reply and would like to apologise for this oversight, I hope you did not think that I ignored it deliberately.
I can only put it down to getting old and forgetful and trust you will accept my apology. Thank you for the information re the blade stamp and I will try and provide a clearer photo of it once I have received my PC from the repairers and it is up and running.
Best regards
Miguel
Hi Miguel nope don't worry at all that i didn't offend
by the way i am waiting for a clearer photo to see i will check the forum time by time
with my respects
O. Baskurt
Old 10th December 2015, 07:57 PM   #81
Miguel

Quote:
Hello Mr Baskurt,

Best regards
Miguel
Hello Mr Baskurt,
I have now had my PC returned but regret that I cannot obtain a clearer image of the stamp, probably due to my ineptitude with a camera, sorry but it looks like the stamp we've got will have to suffice.
Regards
Miguel
Old 10th December 2015, 09:13 PM   #82
Sylektis

What about this one?
Attached Images

Sylektis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 05:01 AM   #83
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylektis
What about this one?
Hi Sylektis,
I would say the same family, second part of 19th c.
Completely Turkish ottoman, even if it belongs to your Greek ancestors.

PS: Your photos in the other thread on belts are amazing. Thanks.
Kubur
Old 11th December 2015, 04:36 PM   #84
Sylektis

In Greece, we make no weapons,we prefer to decorate them.
(Make art, no war!)
Attached Images

Sylektis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 02:48 PM   #85
Miguel

What a beautiful Kalij, thank you for sharing.
Miguel
Old 13th December 2015, 05:34 PM   #86
O. Baskurt

Quote:
Hello Mr Baskurt,
I have now had my PC returned but regret that I cannot obtain a clearer image of the stamp, probably due to my ineptitude with a camera, sorry but it looks like the stamp we've got will have to suffice.
Regards
Miguel
Hi Miguel that's alright whenever you are suitable we can return onto it to make deep research
with my respects
O. Baskurt
Old 13th December 2015, 07:11 PM   #87
eftihis

Scabbard parts from 3 swords of this type, found in Greece.
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote