Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th June 2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Question New Hebrides? club

Not so common club form. Still to arrive. No idea of actual size. Might be covered in varnish. Will show more in time.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Its here. It is quite different from the original picture which gives no idea of the beak nature to the distal end. Yet agian a heavily varnished piece. The patina under the varnish is not the darkest but the wood is very light in colour, never the less one can see a richness to the wood. I would think it best to say early 20th century. There are many signs of the use of European tools but that would not be unusual from the late 19th century. Interesting the small holes in the very top, to take decoration perhaps feathers? It is a hard wood with a good wieght not a dance club, 75cm in length. You never know how old a piece is when originaly collected, then varnished it becomes an unducumented time machine. I have added an illustation from the old favourate "Ethnology Of Vanuatu, An early twentieth century study, Felix Speiser, Hawaii University Press" of the similar inspirational form. Note the lip or small ridge at the top where the beak and halft join. Interesting how similar to a form from new Caledonia?
Attached Images

Old 13th June 2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

I find this similarity interesting. I wonder if there may have been a cultural cross over, lost now.
Attached Images

Old 14th June 2012, 04:44 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I WOULD CLASSIFY IT AS A BIRD HEAD FORM OF CLUB BUT WHAT KIND OF BIRD? IT DOES DIFFER FROM THE NORMAL FORMS QUITE A BIT. THE WOOD IS A BIT ODD TOO KNOT HOLES ARE NOT COMMON ON CLUBS FROM OCEANIC REGIONS. A UNIQUE AND INTERESTING CLUB.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote