Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th July 2010, 09:59 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Corsican Vendetta Daggers

Well, after Wayne and I both expressed a wish to own one the other day......
One came my way (Sorry kronckew)

Stamped makers marks: 'Robert Badani Bastia'
Etched legend:

vai al cuore del nemico vendetta corsa

you go to the heart of the enemy. Vendetta Run

I'll take some better pics in daylight tomorrow.
So, anyone else want to show off theirs?

Last edited by Atlantia; 25th July 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 10:22 AM   #2
kronckew

well, i've got a vendetta folder similar to that one, mine has horn grips,

i was thinking more along the lines of the fixed blade versions like these ones: (sadly not mine)
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 26th July 2010 at 10:33 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Atlantia

Hi bud,

Yeah the fixed blade ones are beautiful.
But I do like these folders, and they are the ones that tend to have the great inscriptions on the blades

Old 29th July 2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Atlantia

I'm shocked that noboby has come in to discuss the beautiful fixed blade Vendetta daggers, but I'm also suprised there is no interest in these large folders?
They date back into 19thC and tend to have colourful inscriptions like: 'May your wounds be mortal' or 'You go straight to the heart of the enemy' etc.
Old 30th July 2010, 05:27 AM   #5
Chris Evans

Atlantia,

I don't know all that much about these folders, except that most were made in France.

What I consider significant about them, as with many French "navajas", is that despite the fierce wording of the inscribed legends and often large size, they lacked a mechanical lock that would render them safe (for the wielder) for thrusting. As such, I strongly suspect that they were not intended for violent use, rather souvenirs, or at most, common cutting implements designed to fit in with restrictve laws.

That so many ornate Spanish and French folders survive to this day, without the usual signs or repeated sharpening and other wear and tear associated with regular usage, strongly suggests that these were display pieces or souvenirs.

As collectors, we gravitate towards the most attractive and well preserved specimens and over time this acts as a filter and removes from circulation those less attractive implements that were used in earnest.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Evans
Atlantia,

I don't know all that much about these folders, except that most were made in France.

What I consider significant about them, as with many French "navajas", is that despite the fierce wording of the inscribed legends and often large size, they lacked a mechanical lock that would render them safe (for the wielder) for thrusting. As such, I strongly suspect that they were not intended for violent use, rather souvenirs, or at most, common cutting implements designed to fit in with restrictve laws.

That so many ornate Spanish and French folders survive to this day, without the usual signs or repeated sharpening and other wear and tear associated with regular usage, strongly suggests that these were display pieces or souvenirs.

As collectors, we gravitate towards the most attractive and well preserved specimens and over time this acts as a filter and removes from circulation those less attractive implements that were used in earnest.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

Well, TBH I think you are being a bit unkind about the folders.
Absolutely they are 'souvenir' items (you can see mine has 'Souvenir De Bastia' on the grip), but then so really are many Spanish, South American, and many other blades of the same period.
I think you are quite right that they were made to also accomodate a tightening of laws as with Navajas.
As for the lack of a lock. The one I have would serve the purpose perfectly well without, having as it does a tremendously rigid spring that 'snaps' the blade into place. Its a full two handed job to close the damn thing.
As for use... well I can't see it being a good utility knife in all honesty, it feels like its made for stabbing and not much else. So I can't see them really being used or needing sharpening.
I'm certainly a novice when it comes to these, and although I've owned many 'navajas' over the years this is the first os these Corsican variants that I've owned.
So I can't comment on mainland French made versions, but this one certainly claims to have been made by Robert Badani in Bastia on Corsica.

I wish I knew a little more about him as I'd like to date the knife. It has the feel of folders made around 1900 that I've owned which would put it within an era where Vendetta fueds still allegedly regularly took place, making it at the very least an extraordinarily lethal contemporary souvenir of a somewhat macarbre piece of European history.

Which is why I'm suprised more people don't like them? Especially given the interest in plain old Spanish Navajas!

Best
Gene
Old 30th July 2010, 04:32 PM   #7
Chris Evans

Hi Gene,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi Chris,

Well, TBH I think you are being a bit unkind about the folders.
Sorry, didn't mean to be disparaging in any way at all, because as souvenir items they are highly collectable. I myself have a number of those garishly decorated oversized navajas that bear the all telling "Recuerdo de....". (souvenir of...) and paid plenty for them.

Quote:
Absolutely they are 'souvenir' items (you can see mine has 'Souvenir De Bastia' on the grip), but then so really are many Spanish, South American, and many other blades of the same period.
Indeed. And this is why I go out of my way to point in the various discussions that these knives were not normative and try to dispel the fanciful pseudo history that have been spun around them.

Quote:
I think you are quite right that they were made to also accomodate a tightening of laws as with Navajas.
The French, as did the English and Germans, had a massive export cutlery industry and made locking systems to fit in with their target markets. In the 19th century Spain bough millions of French made nvajas, most without a lock.

Quote:
As for the lack of a lock. The one I have would serve the purpose perfectly well without, having as it does a tremendously rigid spring that 'snaps' the blade into place. Its a full two handed job to close the damn thing.
All the French made ones that I have seen had what I call the `demi-lock' which required more force to close than a common slip joint, but still met restrictive ordnances. As for using them to thrust, well, yes one could do so, but at a risk and along the way a well directed blow with a parrying jacket could easily close the blade onto the fingers of the wielder. This is why the mechanical lock was illegal in Spain and I suspect also in many other jurisdictions, as is the case now in England, as I am told. Forton himself commented on this matter at quite some length in his book on navajas.

Quote:
As for use... well I can't see it being a good utility knife in all honesty, it feels like its made for stabbing and not much else. So I can't see them really being used or needing sharpening.
I agree with you entirely. A large folding knife fitted with a demi-lock, is a dangerous item to open and close when sharp.

Quote:
So I can't comment on mainland French made versions, but this one certainly claims to have been made by Robert Badani in Bastia on Corsica.
Bernard Levine, the renowned authority on knives, is forever pointing out to collectors that what is stamped on a blade does not necessarily indicate the name of the manufacturer. It is a well entrenched practice in the cutlery industry for importers to order knives from foreign manufacturers with their own name on them. Your knife may or may not have been made in Corsica, but Thiers remains a prime suspect.

As an aside, the same applies to a large number of very French looking navajas that bear the name of Spanish cutlery outlets. This was debated some time ago on a Spanish forum and nobody could confirm if the ubiquitous Valero Jun of Zaragoza made his own knives or bought them on order from France with his name stamped - Because of their good quality I suspect that they were imports.

Quote:
I wish I knew a little more about him as I'd like to date the knife. It has the feel of folders made around 1900 that I've owned which would put it within an era where Vendetta fueds still allegedly regularly took place, making it at the very least an extraordinarily lethal contemporary souvenir of a somewhat macarbre piece of European history.
Vendettas are common all over the Latin world to this day, but they are rarely committed with fancy knives. Don't know if they ever were, as usually such weapons are quickly discarded.

Quote:
Which is why I'm surprised more people don't like them? Especially given the interest in plain old Spanish Navajas!
Well, the same could be said for the folders made by the French for their own domestic use. They made large folding knives every bit as good or better than the Spaniards.

The Spanish decided to project a national identity, to attract tourists, based on the very distinctive culture of the country's south and gypsies. The navaja has become a much publicized icon of this image, a bit like the Scottish dirk in the sock is part of that country's image, along with kilts and bagpipes. To be sure, navajas were an everyday item in pre 1900 Spain, but not necessarily the ornate large "santolios" that we associate with the term, rather cheap friction folders, as all over Europe - There are importation figures and other evidence that supports this view.

Cheers
Chris
Old 30th July 2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Montino Bourbon

Default "Corsa"

In this case means "Corsican", not a race or a run.
Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 07:12 AM   #9
Chris Evans

Hi Gene,

Trying to learn something, I had a look through my books on navajas and searched the net to find that:

In Forton's `Navajas Antiguas' pgs 114-117 there is a section dedicated to Corsican folders, which he lists as French. He shows 11 specimens similar to yours, the biggest with a 20cm blade. All are attributed to early 20th century. The author does not say if these were manufactured in Corisca or mainland France, but a number of them have brands stamped with a name plus AJACCIO, a major city on the island, as is Bastio (on yours).

In De Vivar's `La Navaja Clasica' pg 58 there is an illustration of another small French "Corsican" folder but this one appears to be either slip joint or friction folder. It has a 12cm etched decorated blade and painted handle with the inscriptiion `Valladolid' a city of northern Spain! Vivar assigns this folder to the early 20th century. The blade has also inscribed on it `ACIER FONDU' (cast steel).

This article from the New York Times, published in1881, claims that Corsican vendettas were perpetrated mostly with firearms: http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...679D94609FD7CF

A very informative paper, translated by Google, on Corsican cut & thrust weapons:
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...HQb526Fe1aRgMA. The authors mentions that in the 19th century, the local merchants cashed in on the tourist's preconceptions as inspired by novelas. He also appears to say that the islanders began to manufacture "robust" folding knives at the end of the 19th century, in most cases without a spring. Perhaps someone fluent in French can read the original paper and clarify this, as the Google translation leaves a lot to be desired

This is an excellent French website's section on Corsican fixed blade knives: http://www.couteaux-jfl.com/Corse.htm. Perhaps you could drop the owner a line and see what he has to say on the subject.

Cheers
Chris
Old 31st July 2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Chris Evans

Hi Gene,

Did a bit of further searching and found this old thread, on another forum, in which Bernard Levine gives an opinion on these folders and has this to say:

"....It is called a Vendetta Corse or Corsican 'vendetta' knife. They are mainly sold in the island of Corsica, in the Mediterranean Sea. Some are made in Bastia, Corsica. Others are made in Thiers, on the French mainland. They are made in step sizes. For more details, see pages 303 and 304 of Levine's Guide to Knives, 4th Editio...."

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...arch/1/#361661

Cheers
Chris
Old 31st July 2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Atlantia

Chris,
Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant! My knowledge of these has just increased exponentially!
Thank you

Montino,
I did wonder if if was that, but 'Corsica' is painted on the grips in full, so I wondered if it was 'run' as in 'proceed' or 'continue'.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 31st July 2010, 07:05 PM   #12
Chris Evans

Hi Gene,

Actually, I must thank you for starting this thread. It made me get off my backside and do a bit of research on these folders, something I have been meaning to do for some time, but always postponed.

What we really need on this subject is the work of some authority like Forton on navajas and Domenech on gaucho knives.

Sent you a PM.

Cheers
Chris
Old 14th November 2010, 12:31 PM   #13
Chris Evans

Hi,

My loose translation from Spanish (Abel A.Domenech's Book Navajas/Cuchillos Plegables):

Cheers
Chris

.....Cutlery in Coersica was handmade, but because of its rustic nature could not compete with those made in Thiers.

The successful publishing of the novela "Colomba" by Prospero Merimee in 1840, introduced large numbers in France to a highly romanticized rendition of Corsica, with its passionate and quarelsome inhabitants. This distorted presentation exalted the fierce and indomitable bandit, ever ready to shed blood in the defence of his land, family relations and honour. The general impression conveyed was that the whole population of this island was permanently embroiled in vendettas, the causes of which were buried in the mists of time. What is certain is that whatever vendettas there were, were prosecuted mostly with the muzzle loading guns of the day. But popular romantic notions demanded nobler weapons, and the novelae authors obliged with swords and gigantic folding knives.

The cutlers of Thiers could not ignore the commercial opportunities presented by all this combined with the then emergent tourism to the island; As such, we find that the most peddled souvenir, to visitors, was the folding knife allegedly used in the aforementioned feuds.

To satisfy this new market, the cutlers of Thiers settled on a folding knife that many years before was sold in the Mediteranean regions under the name of "Maltes" and "Neapolitan". It had a long slim and pointy blade, the handle of which was provided with a large metallic bolster and a backspring that affixed it in the open position. The scales were of horn or bone, decorated with arabesques and floral motives, drawn with Indian ink, and with the ever present Moor's Head (Tete de More), the emblem of the island. The blades are nearly always acid engraved with popular captions that encapsulate imputed popular sentiments such as "Vendetta Corsa", "Death To My Enemy" and so on.

The introduction of this knife met with enormous commercial success and the format was and is manufactured to this day in sizes ranging from the diminutive to very large, over 60cms, specimens. This imposed upon the popular mind the form of the native Corsican knife, what it ought to be, which became and remains an icon of the island.

Last edited by Chris Evans; 14th November 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 14th November 2010, 11:58 PM   #14
Atlantia

Absolutely brilliant Chris! Thank you.
I love the description of the native Corsicans as 'passionate and quarelsome' lol.
Great translation. Thanks again for your hard work.

Regards
Gene
Old 15th November 2010, 03:12 AM   #15
Chris Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Absolutely brilliant Chris! Thank you.
I love the description of the native Corsicans as 'passionate and quarelsome' lol.
Great translation. Thanks again for your hard work.

Regards
Gene
Hi Gene,

Domenech wrote "....y el apasionado y sanguineo caracter de sus habitantes.."

I took the liberty of replacing "sangineo" (sanguine) with quarelosme, which I think more clearly expresses the intent in English.

Cheers
Chris