Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 26th April 2009, 07:59 PM   #1
archer

Default Spanish Cannon Model

Can anyone enlighten me on this cannon and it's markings 1971? Name worn name looks like Gray?? It weighs in at just over 3#s 1/2 inch bore( Fired at some time) OAL 111/4 inches. Somtime back a documentary showed a look- alike from a ship of king Phillepe of Spain.

Any place to reference this sort of thing, models, forums, etc.?

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Steve,
I guess this is an area we have not yet explored......model weapons!!

I think information on these items would be found in resources on modelling topics, perhaps ship models. You say this seems to have been fired ? .
This thing seems pretty big for a ship model though. Pretty nice model and would look great in a display.

all the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 02:02 AM   #3
Berkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Any place to reference this sort of thing, models, forums, etc.?
You might try the cannon subforum at The Muzzleloading Forum.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 03:34 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Looking further into this, apparantly there were small cannons like this used in period, though it would seem the 'dates' on this suggest it is modern, unless those are artillery figures. It does seem that numbers found on cannon, not to mention the curious numerics found on such things as those 'bombardier' stillettos have led to many misconceptions in trying to identify various artillery and associated items.

It appears that small cannons of this minute size were sometimes used as artillery training devices for noble children, according to an entry in the Paul Ambrose antiques website (Connecticut). I found several small 'model' cannon like this which were Dutch, and this resembles a Dutch cannon style of 17th century. Small cannon of this size were known in arms cabinets of Louis XIV.

While not suggesting this is necessarily an antique, I wanted to note that minute cannons like this were apparantly extant, whether simply as training or novelty items for noble children or often mentioned as signal type cannon.
Whatever the case, it is a most attractive item.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 01:44 AM   #5
celtan

Hi Jim et al,

I have access to one of such cannons, a spanish model, as this one seems to be.

This one doesn't look like it, the details of it's workbeing more crude, even though it is still eye-pleasing.

I saw many similar cannons in Spain in the 70s being sold to tourists, usually with their "curena" included (mount). The latter, being wooden, usually do not survive.

Best

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
It appears that small cannons of this minute size were sometimes used as artillery training devices for noble children, according to an entry in the Paul Ambrose antiques website (Connecticut). I found several small 'model' cannon like this which were Dutch, and this resembles a Dutch cannon style of 17th century. Small cannon of this size were known in arms cabinets of Louis XIV.

All best regards,
Jim
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 03:29 AM   #6
archer

Default Response

This is probably a model from 1971 and as suggested could readily have been fully mount until someone fired it! I saw one full size nearly identical in style in the gardens at Hurst castle in California, a few years back. Old time Salesmen
carried scaled down samples of their full size wares furniture etc. craftsmen made miniature weapons to show their skills, not to imply that is what this is. it is not.

A glimpse of a similar model appeared on a desk in a "Zorro" movie. I'll have to look further for the Spanish ship i mentioned earlier it seems it was found in a bayou or similar waters in the South. I also found a model cannon from the Atousha the Keys treasure ship. At any rate I'll try some of these leads.

My initial attraction to it was to mount it as Sundial cannon but the midnight sun is not great for high noon booms. Since this forum is located around the World and is so diverse i was hoping. Thanks, steve

I appreciate your incites and will followup Thank you, Steve
archer is offline   Reply With Quote