Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st July 2007, 04:56 AM   #1
ariel

Default Caucasian (?) Stiletto

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020
What a strange combination of European blade/scabbard and the hilt! First, the blade looks older than the scabbard/crossguard. Most intriguingly, the decorations of the hilt use gilding and niello with Turkish/Caucasian motives. I would love to examine it personally, but... alas...
Any ideas?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 05:20 PM   #2
rand

Default Dagger

The work on the daggers handle is pure Toledo damascene work from Toledo, Dr Khahlili published a book of pieces from his collection with this type of damascene work. The hilt is Spanish made, but you can clearly see the Moorish influence from their time of occupation up to the late 15th century. Which by the way, the translation of the libraries left behind by the Moors left behind was the beginning of the reannaissance, including the the concept of zero.

Have doubts that the handle and bald are homogenous as the wear/oxidation are different. Would think it 19th century.

Another example of Toledo work

http://toledosword.blogspot.com/

rand

Last edited by rand; 31st July 2007 at 05:40 PM.
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 05:25 PM   #3
ham

Ariel,

Nothing unusual I can see in this dagger-- blade may be a little earlier but the grip is rather typical Toledo work of the mid-late 19th century. It isn't nielloed, but gilt and enamelled. Motifs are certainly not Caucasian, perhaps the Moorish influence there is leading you to such a conclusion.

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 08:19 PM   #4
ariel

Thanks to both of you.
I learned something new!
Ariel
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 10:15 PM   #5
Marc

It's a curious composite, for sure...

The hilt is, as has already been said, a Toledo "damascene" work. Not sure about its age, though, as it's still being done today with the same style and motifs. For a change, it's a craft that enjoys a pretty good health...
The blade is what gives me the creeps... it's made from an old (late 16th or 17th c.) rapier blade, cut down (it was probably -hopefully- already broken) and heavily ground off to its actual profile, a work that, for what can be deduced from the state of the edges' bevels, has every chance to be very recent.
The sheath looks like a fairly recent work, also, and before really believing that the "pommel" is anything else than plastic I should have to look at it much more closely...

It's definitely a put-together, using old spare pieces and adding what was missing. About when this assembling took place, ist's anyone's guess.I suppose it COULD be 19th c., but if I had to bet any money, it would be for a rather later date...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote