Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th June 2007, 09:18 AM   #1
erlikhan

Default Interesting rounded tip kindjal

Only if I have to make a comment, I would guess this kindjal with a rounded tip is a fire brigade officer sword from 19th c.,when firefighting regiments in Ottoman army were formed in 1860. Both edges are razor sharp. Inspires me through Ottoman origin with its classical Turkish brass stitching. But all I guess can be wrong and it would not surprize me. Does anybody have better comments? Perhaps just a kindjal was broken and a master made a new scabbard for it?

regards
Attached Images

Last edited by erlikhan; 30th June 2007 at 10:41 AM.
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2007, 01:39 PM   #2
CharlesS

The fact that the fullers run off the end of the blade I think makes it a break or a cut down kindjal or qama.

I think the scabbard is very interesting in and of itself...says that the sword was highly regarded enough to keep, and that it has been that way for some(a long) time.

Interesting piece!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 03:21 AM   #3
ariel

Leslie Blanch in her book "Sabres of Paradise" quotes native Caucasians that the true purpose of Kindjal was to slash and not to stab. Her local informers told her that stabbing was an un-gentlemanly way of fighting and that a "stabber" was viewed with derision. Are we seeing an extreme illustration ? After all, it was just as easy to restore the point, and the fullers would "run off" anyway.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 06:05 PM   #4
ham

Well, it's clear the tip has been rebated as CharlesS notes, and that the scabbard is not only Ottoman in style but has been made to suit the blade in its shortened form. Thrusting would of course be pointless (forgive me) but one could conceivably do a nasty rolling tip-cut with this one.

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Very nice scabbard.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 08:05 PM   #6
erlikhan

ok,we suppose it had been a longer kindjal,with normal tip, and was broken/repaired. It goes without any significant narrowing till the end. so, if it was once narrowing and becoming a point, even if after just the current end of the blade,perhaps 10 cms more?, it means a very long kindjal with a narrow and fragile blade having unscaled proportion compared to its length. Not?
Old 1st July 2007, 08:07 PM   #7
erlikhan

in fact, I plan to market it, with the presentation of once being the tool of the royal "doner kebab" cook of the Ottoman palace kitchen
Old 1st July 2007, 08:09 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

To my eyes I do not think there has been any alteration to the blade. The finishing of the fullers seems too controlled. But I know very little of these things.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote