Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2005, 09:40 AM   #1
wolviex

Exclamation BOOKS FROM POLAND

Dear All!

Few times on this Forum we were talking about Polish books on arms and armours. Many of you bought some books, some of you only heard of few, but I think that generally they’re hard to get for most of our forumites. Because you were praised some of the books during our discussions I would like to offer you some of the them, which I’m able (or I’ll try) to get, and send them to you. There are some problems but I hope, if you’ll be interested, we will pass them easily.
Below you’ll find few books, they’re quite rare and not cheap unfortunately. I found that price is very inflated because of shipment costs which are always high.
Most of these books are hard to get even in Poland. Some of them might be from the second hand, I’ll inform you about the condition then, thought I’ll try to get new ones (especially those from the last few years). If you’ll be interested in any of them or you’ll have any questions, please write directly to me: wolviex@poczta.onet.pl
If book is hard to get, and attraction will be big, the order of the e-mail will be crucial – first come first served .

PAYMENT – unfortunately, until PayPal isn’t working in Poland, you have two ways:
1. directly on my bank account (information via e-mail). Please, ask your bank account manager about any other supplementary costs, if there are any. Maybe you can pay with your credit card without additional prices.
2. via MONEYBOOKERS.COM – if you are already registered, you know what to do. If no, you can register, then pay credit card or via bank on MONEYBOOKERS account, and those money will be send to me. Third way is, I can give MONEBOOKERS your e-mail adress with wanted price, they will contact you further, how to manage operation.

PRICES – With every book I give you presumably shipment price for exact book – Euros for Europe, Dolars for USA. If you want more books, or you are from outside Europe or USA, contact me.
Prices of shipment in Poland:
priority for package under 1kg – 18 EUROS (for European countries) or 25 $ (to USA)
priority for package 1-2 kg - 21 EUROS or 32 $
priority for package 2-3 kg – 25 EUROS or 39 $.....
non priority packages are very slow (I send once such package to Jim, and he was waiting almost 2 months) while prices are bit lower.

PS. I never thought I’ll turn into monstrous book seller

BOOK 1:
Zdzislaw Zygulski jun., Stara bron w polskich zbiorach [Old weapons in Polish collections], Warszawa 1982- and further editions;

Catalogue/album of weapons from Poland, Europe and East in Polish museums. Still one of the best books on arms of this type printed in Poland. A “must-have” for everyone interested in subject. I found that book became legendary because prices in USA or Europe bookstores raised to incredible ceillings (even 190$).

CONTENTS:
- Polish Arms
- Foreign Arms in Polish Collections
- West European Arms Purchases in the 19th and 20th Centuries
- Eastern Arms Purchases in the 19th and 20th Centuries

LANGUAGE Polish with English “booklet loosley laid in” (it’s 24 pp. b&w, only text) where you can find translation. Because I can’t guarantee that every book will be complete with this translation, in case of lack of it, I will copy it for you.

276 pp., 274 color photos, hard-cover, 28x26cm (10,9x10,1 inch.), weight 1,4 kg, high quality paper, only second handed, so I’ll let know what is the state of preservation of every book I will be able to hunt down. Don’t know how many examples I’ll be able to find, but antique shops have sometimes this book on the shelf.

PRICE: (may be vary but I believe not much)
76 EUROS + shipmeny circa 26 EUROS
93 $ + shipment circa 39 $

expensive? Take a look here :
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/Book...L?bi=596702323
http://www.bookavenue.com/cgi-bin/or...m,BOOKS040961I

sample pictures:
Attached Images

Last edited by wolviex; 22nd December 2005 at 06:17 PM.
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 09:41 AM   #2
wolviex

Default BOOK 2

BOOK 2:
Orez Perski – Persian and Indo-Persian arms and armour of 16th – 19th c. from Polish collection, edit.: A. R. Chodynski; ISBN: 83-86206-31-4

It’s catalogue from the exhibition in 2000. Many pictures of sabres, knives, sword, axes, maces, firearms, armours, powder flasks, etc of Persian and Indo-Persian masterworks from Polish privates and museums collections. Plus few articles full of knowledge. One of the most interesting books on arms printed lately in Poland.

CONTENTS:
- Foreward (M. Mierzwinski)
- The Sun and The Lion – Sketches on Persian Militaria (A. R. Chodynski)
- Persian and Indo-Persian Arms and Armour (L. Kobylinski)
- A Persian’s view of Polish-Persian Cultural Relations and Militaria (Kaweh Pur Rahnama)
- Glossary of Arms and Armour Terms (A. R. Chodynski)
- Catalogue
- Persian and Indo-Persian Arms from the 16th – 19th Centuries in Polish Collections (A. R. Chodynski)
- The Persian Carpets (K. Polujan)
- Bibliography
- Illustrations to the Catalogue

LANGUAGE: text bilingual – all articles are in English and Polish, catalogue notes only in Polish, illustrations signatures Polish and English.

396 pp., circa 300 illustrations in color and B&W, hard-cover, 30x22cm (12x8,5 inch.), weight 2 kg, good quality paper;

PRICE :
38 EUROS + shipment circa 26 EUROS
46 $ + shipment circa 39 $

Expensive? Take a look here
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/Book...L?bi=248126452

sample pictures:
Attached Images

Old 22nd December 2005, 09:42 AM   #3
wolviex

Default BOOK 3

BOOK 3:
Arcydzieła sztuki perskiej ze zbiorow polskich [Masterworks of Persian art from Polish collections], edit.: T. Majda; ISBN: 83-7100-135-5

Catalogue of great exhibition made in National Museum in Warsaw and National Museum in Cracow (Krakow) in 2002, by prof. Z. Zygulski and T. Majda. Many interesting objects of Persian crafts – miniatures, arms and armours, ceramics, rugs and fabrics. Cover made of a photocopy of an old Persian book cover, so catalogue looks very stylish.

LANGUAGE: articles and catalogue only in Polish, illustrations signatures in Polish and partly in English.

134 pp, 406 illustrated objects, all pics in color, hard-cover, 33,5x32cm (13,1x12,5 inch), weight 1,3 kg, high quality paper;

PRICE:
38 EUROS + shipment circa 23 EUROS
46 $ + shipment circa 35 $

sample pictures:
Attached Images

Old 22nd December 2005, 09:43 AM   #4
wolviex

Default BOOK 4

BOOK 4:
Irena Grabowska, Gallery ‘Arms and Colours in Poland’. The National Museum in Cracow. Exhibiotion guide, Cracow 2005; ISBN 83-87312-60-6

The smallest book, which is guide on the largest arms, armours and uniforms exhibition in Poland, in National Museum. All in all it’s more like invitation for you, while the book is a description of “gallery” room by room. I believe you can find here also many interesting informations about arms used in Poland, and I believe it will encourage you to visit this special place (give me a call or write e-mail before you go ). In the text you’ll find descriptions of most spectacular objects, their provenance, history, origin, everything with inserts of Polish history, photographs, and history of the collection. The book is with small glossary of terms

LANGUAGE: English

80 pp., 31 color photographs, high quality paper, 20x12cm (7,8x4,7 inch.), weight 0,2kg;

PRICE
8 EUROS + shipment circa 4 EUROS
10$ + shipment circa 6 $

sample pictures:
Attached Images

Old 22nd December 2005, 09:44 AM   #5
wolviex

Default BOOK 5

BOOK 5:
Wojna i pokoj [War and Peace – Ottoman-Polish relations in 15th – 19th centuries], edit.: T.Majda and S. Kangal, Warszawa 1999; ISBN 83-7100-101-0
Catalogue of great exhibitions in Poland and Instabul, articles and many photos with descriptions of Turkish art: arms, pottery, graphics, paintings, fabrics, rugs, tents etc. I have a feeling this might be hardest to get.

LANGUAGE: catalogue was printed in English and Polish. Unfortunately in Poland you can (hardly) get only Polish version, but I’ve got English version photocopied, so CD with this “all-in-English” version added free . Or try to search internet, maybe you can buy this one somewhere.

462 pp., circa 380 color illustrations, softbound, 33x23cm (13x9 inch), weight 2,4 kg, high quality paper;

PRICE:
41 EUROS + shipment circa 25 EUROS
50 $ + shipment circa 39 $

sample pictures (FROM ENGLISH VERSION):
Attached Images

Old 22nd December 2005, 11:59 AM   #6
B.I

hi michal,
your offer to find and supply these books is very generous. i have all of them, and i paid more years ago when i got them.
stara bron is a fantastic book, and i highly recommend it.
also, the war and peace is so much more useful with your supplied translations. the english version is impossible to find, and the exhibition was well catalogued (and so its great to be able to read it). for turkish/ottoman arms and art its a must.
i hope that you can access some other rare books from the 'bibliography' you supplied a while ago, as i am severly lacking in 'eastern-european' reference. trouble is, apart from the basics, we havent heard, nor seen many of them.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 08:00 PM   #7
wolviex

Default PAYMENT further informations!

PAYMENT Update:

I agree there are some problems with payment to Polish sellers, but most of these problems are touching the seller not the buyer, so there is no worry for you.

I can agree on other payment ways, all you have to do is ask via email and settle the details. For BIDPAY this is last week of activity, but if you trust me you can use Western Union. There is also Polish Paypal = Allpay.pl where you can pay easily with similiar circumstances, thought some people are complaining there are problems with getting money from their account (so the problem is for me). Well, there are many other ways, so it's a matter of choice, IMO without Bidpay and Paypal the MONEYBOOKERS.com seems to be most reliable and sensible.

BOOK 2: there is quite big chance to get Orez Perski much cheaper, contact me for further details.
Regards!
Old 5th January 2006, 04:48 PM   #8
wolviex

I found that prices of some books may vary, so my proposal is, if you're interested in any of the books, ask first via email for more details. Those prices given by me in the first posts are often highest ones, and I can get to resources with low prices as well.
Many depends also on the condition of the book if it is secondhanded.

Regards!
Old 1st February 2006, 12:55 AM   #9
Jeff D

Thumbs up Books arrived!

Hi Michal,

I just got back and the books arrived yesterday. Thank you for getting them to me. I know what I will be doing this week.

Thanks Again
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2006, 05:51 PM   #10
Tim

Michal,

I recieved my books today, 4 days after you recieved payment. Maby I should mail myself to Poland to visit.

The books are great, and using Westernunion was no problem.

Best regards,
Tim Billups
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote