Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th October 2006, 11:11 PM   #1
CollectingNewbie

Default Moro Pira Sword antique or new production?

I bought this sword recently and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a new production sword or an antique. The seller said he thinks its a new production. total length of 32-1/4" / 81.5cm. The blade alone is 22-1/2" / 57cm. The blade is thickest near the base at 5mm.
Attached Images

CollectingNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 07:04 PM   #2
ThePepperSkull

Did they make blades like the one in the post above me for local use in recent times, or is this another tourist-souvenir blade?

Does anyone have any more info on this? 5mm does seem a bit thin for an older blade, but the shape of the pira is more reminiscent of what I associate as being the older kind than what I typically associate with newer pira, which I usually see taking this shape:

(This pira was made in 1995 and is from Basilan)
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectingNewbie
I bought this sword recently and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a new production sword or an antique. The seller said he thinks its a new production. total length of 32-1/4" / 81.5cm. The blade alone is 22-1/2" / 57cm. The blade is thickest near the base at 5mm.

Hallo,

when it is a recent one it has a good trim to look old. From the pictures I would say old.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 04:33 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THE FIRST ONE IS RECENT , I HAVE ONE WITH THE HORN HANDLE MINE ORIGINATED IN PANAY WHERE A DEALER WAS SELLING THEM ON EBAY. NOT BAD WORKMANSHIP AND THE PRICE WAS RIGHT THOUGH THE BLADES ARE A BIT THIN.
THE SECOND ONE IS A CURRENT FORM OF PIRA WITHOUT THE LONG BACK SPIKE ON THE HANDLE. I HAVE AN EXAMPLE THAT WAS MADE AROUND 1945 SO THE FORM HAS BEEN AROUND FOR QUITE A WHILE BUT I DON'T KNOW WHEN OR WHERE IT ORIGINATED.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 09:08 AM   #5
kai

Yes, recently made piece in fairly traditional style. AFAIK, these blades were crafted in Marawi; I'd guess that the Panay dealer also sourced Barry's example from Marawi...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 06:45 AM   #6
ThePepperSkull

Kai and vandoo, thank you both. Whenever I am curious about something, you either have the answer for it, or have answered it before. Great stuff.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote