Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th April 2018, 04:30 PM   #1
DaveA

Default Sword Festival at the Deutsches Klingenmuseum Solingen

Hello,

I have recently learned about an event that may be of interest. It is the Sword Festival at the Deutsches Klingenmuseum Solingen. In particular, there is a collectors workshop.

Dates: Saturday & Sunday | 14. & 15. JUL 2018

Sword Festival (http://www.klingenmuseum.de/_english/dkm/schwertfestival.html)

“Numerous companies, metal designers, artists, fencing schools and associations have already registered for our Sword Festival. Its partial events – The Sword Fair, the Infocafé and the Collector's Meeting – all of them will provide a wide range of different items and interesting people and will certainly be an experience for exhibitors and visitors.

The gymnasium located directly next to the Blade Museum, which we have reserved for our workshop programme, will be in use throughout both festival-days. In one-hour-slots, German and international "fencing professionals" will offer workshops – from the historical European fencing to Asian styles or duels with the lightsaber.

The lecture progamm is dedicated, for example, to topics such as "The sword fighting Arts of Japan", "Development and study of European Medieval and Renaissance single-edged swords" or the experiences of a female fencer in the "men's domain" HEMA.

In the museum’s court, demonstrations will be staged on both festival days, with fencing artists presenting different European and Asian styles. Practicing fencers will be given the opportunity to perform cutting-tests with their own weapon.

Last but not least: the gastronomy professionals Royal Catering will provide a barbecue buffet and coffee and cakes on both festival days. The comprehensive menu will include plenty of delicacies for every palate (including vegetarian/vegan).

The registration deadline for exhibitors is still open until 30 April – registration form at http://www.klingenmuseum.de/assets/f...pplication.pdf

Best Regards,

Dave A
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 06:34 PM   #2
thomas hauschild

I will be there ( well not a difficult thing. I have 20 min to drive)

Best Thomas
thomas hauschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 03:31 AM   #3
DaveA

Hello Thomas!

I’m often traveling to Germany on business. Perhaps I can plan a July trip and add some days.

Dave A
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 09:00 AM   #4
Victrix

Does anyone know whether many of the lectures will be held in the English language? Many thanks.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 09:24 AM   #5
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
Does anyone know whether many of the lectures will be held in the English language? Many thanks.
This is unclear now. It depends from where the visitors coming from.

If we have more than 30% or so non-German speaking people, we try to hold our lectures (14. July) in two languages, German and English, at least I will do so.

Explanations in English are no problem.

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 07:04 PM   #6
kai

Wink

Hello Dave,

Quote:
I have recently learned about an event that may be of interest. It is the Sword Festival at the Deutsches Klingenmuseum Solingen. In particular, there is a collectors workshop.
There will be a collector's convention (for show and tell), a sword & accessories fair, as well as a broad assortment of lectures, demos and workshops. Some of these will be in German, some in English - the full program will be available in May, I guess.

Roland is referring to only one of these events, a full-day workshop which will be about antique sword blades and how to preserve, restore, and to test them (including for MA practise if so preferred). This is hosted by a few forumites (guess who ) and a questionnaire should be available online this weekend. Depending on the actual turn-out, we'll try to accommodate English and/or German speaking participants.

It would be great to meet any other forumites at the event and our workshop!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote