Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th April 2022, 09:20 AM   #1
Cathey

Default Looking for References for 16th to 17th century European swords

Hi Guys

I am looking for advice on the best reference books to buy that deal with 16th to 17th European swords. I realise these might not be published in English but with google translate that is not really an issue anymore.

I was looking at Blankwaffen I & 2 - Heribert Seitz (Klinkhardt e Biermann). Just looking for advice to see if these are worth buying.

Cheers Cathey
Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2022, 10:16 AM   #2
cornelistromp

in German language but absolutely worth buying, very good reference work.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2022, 11:21 AM   #3
corrado26

One of the best sources in my opinion is "A.V.B.Norman, The Rapier and Small Sword 1460-1820, ISBN 0-405-13089-9 and "H.Koelling/H. Mueller, Europäische Hieb- und Stichwaffen, ISBN 3-327-00041-7
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 04:38 AM   #4
Cathey

Default Books on early European swords

Hi Guys

I have A.V.B.Norman, The Rapier and Small Sword 1460-1820, and have just ordered H.Koelling/H. Mueller, Europäische Hieb- und Stichwaffen and Blankwaffen I & 2 - Heribert Seitz (Klinkhardt e Biermann).

Arn also recommended Gefährlich und schön. Eine Auswahl historischer Waffen aus den Beständen der Kunstsammlungen der Veste Coburg. I havn’t tracked down a copy of this one at the right price yet. I am really looking for books that only deal with swords, not firearms.

Cheers Cathey
Old 13th April 2022, 06:09 PM   #5
Triarii

AVB Norman is a key purchase.

I'm into mid C17th British swords (eg ECW era) so Stuart C Mowbrays 'British Military Swords Volume 1: 1600 - 1660'. It's mainly photos, but a great reference. ISBN 1931464618.
I've just been fortunate enough to buy at auction a sword illustrated in the book.

This covers a range of topics but includes a good illustrated essay of early English and Scottish basket hilts, without forking out 200+ GBP for Mazansky.
SCOTTISH WEAPONS AND FORTIFICATIONS 1100 - 1800 by David H Caldwell ISBN: 0859760472
Triarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 08:21 PM   #6
Victrix

I’m sure you already have this wonderful book.
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 08:29 PM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Oh ... i have this one .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 06:25 AM   #8
Cathey

Default Swis-Campaign Sword-c1660

Hi Guys

I am particularly looking for research information on a specific form of early Military sabre that features a dog or lion head pommel. I think they are usually described as Swiss or German Circa 1640. I have attached a picture of a sword from this family that I am referring to. Any assistance with reference material will be greatly appreciated.

I have just made my third attempt to order a copy of “Europaische Hieb - Und Stichwaffen Aus Der Sammlung Des Museums Fur Deutsche Geschichte by Muller, Heinrich & Kolling, Hartmut” from America, hopefully this one will go through. Every time I order books via Abe books, they send me an email asking to increase the shipping, usually by over 100%.

Cheers Cathey
Attached Images

Old 23rd April 2022, 06:50 AM   #9
Hotspur

Wouldn't that be a Swiss bear vs dog?
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 07:06 AM   #10
Hotspur

HERMANN HISTORICA

'An Swiss officer's sabre, 2nd half of the 17th century Curved blade with a double-edged point and narrow fullers on both sides. Iron bar hilt with thumb ring, the obverse side with inset, elaborately chiselled brass guard plate showing a monster's head. Grip with elaborate brass wire winding and braided ferrules. Pommel in shape of a dog's head with punched and engraved decoration. Small piece at the right side of the snout missing. Pommel with remnants of fire-gilding. Length 91, 5 cm., historic, historical, 17th century, sword, swords, weapons, arms, weapon, arm, fighting device, military, militaria, object, objects, stills, clipping, clippings, cut out, cut-out, cut-outs, melee weapon, melee weapons, metal'

Swiss favored bears. The dog pommel hangers of England are somewhat different.

An couple of older auctions listing them as lions. Still, Swiss liked bears.
https://www.auction.fr/_en/lot/a-lio...swiss-10027809
https://www.ratisbons.com/auctions-a...h-century.html
Cheers
GC
Attached Images

Last edited by Hotspur; 23rd April 2022 at 07:18 AM.
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 07:49 AM   #11
Cathey

Default Bears make sense

thanks for that, I thought they were pretty ordinary looking lions, if they are meant to be bears that makes more sense.

Cheers Cathey
Old 23rd April 2022, 07:59 AM   #12
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathey View Post
I have just made my third attempt to order a copy of “Europaische Hieb - Und Stichwaffen Aus Der Sammlung Des Museums Fur Deutsche Geschichte by Muller, Heinrich & Kolling, Hartmut” from America, hopefully this one will go through. Every time I order books via Abe books, they send me an email asking to increase the shipping, usually by over 100%.
Hi Cathey, I just received my copy of this book yesterday. I ordered it from ZVAB in Germany and it cost me EUR24 (of which EUR6 transport to Sweden). Might be worth trying at least although transport to Australia should be higher.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 07:55 PM   #13
werecow

I'm new to this topic myself and The Rapier and The Smallsword is extremely helpful.

I've also found the little book "European Sword Pommels" by R. Forrer helpful in figuring out what I was looking at from time to time. It's basically just tons of pictures of pommels with a description and date estimates. It also has some maker's marks in the back.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote