Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st June 2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Kukri Indian or Nepalese?

Private purchase? ww2 mid 20th century? The chap I got it from was quite a bit older than me and he said it was his fathers who was in a Gurkha unit but could have been in Malay, a bit latter. No marks, almost pristine, was covered in grease but there are a few spots and a small patch of rust. Not old but nice quality and has been worn for a reasonable time. Heavy the sticky out thing near the handle is just under 6.5mm wide and the back at the forte is just under 9mm, nice shape. any information would be helpful. Such a shame it is not old.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 11:08 PM   #2
kai

Hello Tim,

Seems like a British made Khukuri to me - and a nice one at that!

How does it feel in the hand?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:19 AM   #3
spiral

Nice one Tim, The style is of a ww2 mk.2 British Gurkha issue kukri, Made in India, probably the Calcutta area, But is most likley Private purchase given lack of inspection marks on either blade, handle or scabbard. I would think 1941 to 1945 most likley as a manufacture date., 1947 at very latest.{IMHO.]

These feel very western & solid in the hand usualy.

What weight is it?

By the way due to a recent Hacking the IKRHS websites new address is

IKRHS linky.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:59 AM   #4
kai

Thanks for the correction, Jonathan!

I assume these were produced according to specifications of the British army?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 07:10 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

Thanks for the help chaps, as I know little about Kukri and Indian things. The weight without the scabbard is 715g and that is on a good set of digital kitchen scales. The blade sides are just off flat but not hollow ground. Two interesting features are, the rivet through the bolster, and a nice touch the matching tang and wood grip profiles. I did say the seller was older than me so it is more than possible ww2 period. Judging by the sellers voice and demeanour. I would say his father was an officer secondly he was not a trader or regular seller, just a one off car boot sale to sell household junk the ones to pounce on .
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:28 AM   #6
spiral

Thanks Tim, no problem Kai,

The weight is towards the heaver end for the mk.2 style, but thats also more usual amongst the apparently private purchase versians of these & indeed al;so more usual with ww2 rather than ww1 versians.

The templates seem to be the same as British army issue pieces usualy, but i wouldnt like to say they were made exactly to specification always as some have ivory grips etc.

The metal tang matching the wooden grip should always be like that on full tang models, never seen one not, the rivet is more unusual Ive only seen that a couple of times, although I also expect on some its done that way & just not realy visible due to fileing, grinding polishing, age , patina etc.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote