Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th October 2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Matt Branch

Default Can early sword blades be remanufactured over time?

Hello to all.
I have a sword that I am having a great deal of trouble Identifing.
It has been suggested that it could be a 1600's or 1700's spanish blade that was later decorated in a mexican theme.
The shape of the blade and the fullers are diffrent than any sword I have found.
I also have not found a pommel that matches mine.
Could this be 1600's-1700"s blade?
Does any one have a sword with similar fullers?
Could the decorations be put on long after the blade was made?
The eagle just above the fullers is a close match to the eagle on the Disturnell treaty map of 1865, it is the only "Mexican" theme eagle I have found whose wing tips point up, all others point down.
I would appreciate any info.
Thanks
Matt
Attached Images

Matt Branch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 04:05 AM   #2
ariel

I guess it would be pretty easy to acid etch the eagle on the blade and the general construction does in fact remind of old rapiers.
No matter what the blade experts say, the last picture is visually very impressive!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Rivkin

You should ask McDougall about american/mexican swords, to me it looks like something similar not so much to earlier rapiers but to spanish heavy cavalry "backblades", 1768/1803 patterns with what I guess a mexican eagle (?).
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Lee
EAAF Staff

Smile

Brinckerhoff, Sidney B. and Chamberlain, Pierce A., Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America 1700 - 1821 (Harrisburg, PA: Stackpole Books, 1972) shows some blades very similar in form to yours and dates them to the early 18th century; remarking this blade form is very common in the Spanish colonies.

I suspect the form may have continued to be made after that, probably well into the 19th century. European 'trade' blades with the three narrow, shaller fullers are also seen in takoubas, kaskaras and even Scottish basket hilts. I agree that the eagle on your example surely suggests Mexico.

The engraving on the blade and the form of the hilt would probably be your best clue to the date of assembly. Looking closely at the grain of the metal and presence or absence of grossly obvious inclusions might help you decide if the blade is earlier or later. Look also at the mounting of the blade into the handle to assess whether it was likely assembled de novo or incorporated an earlier blade.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 11:32 PM   #5
Matt Branch

Brinckerhoff, Sidney B. and Chamberlain, Pierce A., Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America 1700 - 1821 (Harrisburg, PA: Stackpole Books, 1972) shows some blades very similar in form to yours and dates them to the early 18th century; remarking this blade form is very common in the Spanish colonies.

Lee, thanks, is there a way to post those photos? I can't find them on line.

I suspect the form may have continued to be made after that, probably well into the 19th century. European 'trade' blades with the three narrow, shaller fullers are also seen in takoubas, kaskaras and even Scottish basket hilts. I agree that the eagle on your example surely suggests Mexico.

Lee, my ancestors (where the sword came from) came over in 1831 from Cornwall England, the family legend was that the sword came with him but I think that is to early for this blade.

The engraving on the blade and the form of the hilt would probably be your best clue to the date of assembly. Looking closely at the grain of the metal and presence or absence of grossly obvious inclusions might help you decide if the blade is earlier or later. Look also at the mounting of the blade into the handle to assess whether it was likely assembled de novo or incorporated an earlier blade.

Lee there is a fold down guard and the blade is not tight in the hilt, I don't know how to take it apart. re the blade I have been cleaning it for some time you could not see the pattern at all before I started
Thanks
Matt
Old 17th October 2006, 11:35 PM   #6
Matt Branch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I guess it would be pretty easy to acid etch the eagle on the blade and the general construction does in fact remind of old rapiers.
No matter what the blade experts say, the last picture is visually very impressive!
Thanks Ariel
Old 17th October 2006, 11:37 PM   #7
Matt Branch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivkin
You should ask McDougall about american/mexican swords, to me it looks like something similar not so much to earlier rapiers but to spanish heavy cavalry "backblades", 1768/1803 patterns with what I guess a mexican eagle (?).
Thanks Rivkin, I'm kind of new to this, ask McDougall?
Thanks
Matt
Old 18th October 2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Rivkin, thanks very much for the kind reference very much appreciated.

This sabre is apparantly one of the many variations of branched guard examples favored by Mexican officers after the independance from Spain of Mexico in 1821. There were considerable stockpiles of these familiar three fuller dragoon blades (many disagree with that term, but it is often used as seen in the Chamberlain reference) in Mexico for long into the 19th c.
These are considered of the M1769 Spanish troopers pattern (Chamberlain, op.cit.).
The eagle does of course appear to be a variation of the Mexican national emblem, and there were numerous variations, unclear as to the progression of detail such as the wing tips. It should be noted that these sabres were used very late into the 19th century, and often favored by the ersatz police forces known as 'rurales' during the Diaz regime.
The swords of Mexico and early colonial New Spain are a personal favorite, and represent a colorful heritage that is often very much missing in many, if not most, studies of antique edged weapons.
Very nice example !!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 07:22 PM   #9
Matt Branch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Rivkin, thanks very much for the kind reference very much appreciated.

This sabre is apparantly one of the many variations of branched guard examples favored by Mexican officers after the independance from Spain of Mexico in 1821. There were considerable stockpiles of these familiar three fuller dragoon blades (many disagree with that term, but it is often used as seen in the Chamberlain reference) in Mexico for long into the 19th c.
These are considered of the M1769 Spanish troopers pattern (Chamberlain, op.cit.).
The eagle does of course appear to be a variation of the Mexican national emblem, and there were numerous variations, unclear as to the progression of detail such as the wing tips. It should be noted that these sabres were used very late into the 19th century, and often favored by the ersatz police forces known as 'rurales' during the Diaz regime.
The swords of Mexico and early colonial New Spain are a personal favorite, and represent a colorful heritage that is often very much missing in many, if not most, studies of antique edged weapons.
Very nice example !!!

All best regards,
Jim
Thanks so much Jim, would you know where I could find some photos or specs on that sword? Do you know if this would be a solingen blade?
I've been looking for an expert on Mexican Swords are you one or do you know one?
Thanks again!
Matt
Old 19th October 2006, 07:35 PM   #10
Lew
(deceased)

Matt

Your sword blade is German it is a dead ringer for the trade blades that I have seen on kaskaras plus didn't the Austrians control or influence Mexico's government for many years. Below is a portrait of Maximilian.
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 08:22 PM   #11
Matt Branch

Default Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Matt

Your sword blade is German it is a dead ringer for the trade blades that I have seen on kaskaras plus didn't the Austrians control or influence Mexico's government for many years. Below is a portrait of Maximilian.
Hi Louieblades,
Yes I think you are right, I have had some comments about Maximilian on my post on the SFI spanish language forum.
Would you have any photos of similar blades?
Thanks
Matt
(I don't know how to link to that post on SFI)
Old 20th October 2006, 05:39 AM   #12
Lew
(deceased)

Matt

I was able to resize my pic of this sword. The blade was cut down to about 23".

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 04:57 PM   #13
Matt Branch

Default Nice Sword

Thanks Lew.
Nice sword, it does resemble mine. I'm looking for more on Solingen Know anything?

Thanks
Matt