Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th July 2006, 04:51 AM   #1
Shiraz528

Default Kirach and Firangi

Can anyone describe to me the difference between a Kirach and a Firangi sword?. Pictures would help too..!
Shiraz528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Welcome to the forum, and sorry for the late response.

Firangi (can be spelled in different ways) has a straight European blade, usually longer than most Indian swords. See the picture.

Kirach has an Indian, one edged blade, usually with a false edge. The special thing with the Kirach is, that the blade close to the tip curves towards the edge. For a picture, have a look at the link. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=683&highlight=Kirach
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Strange , Jens your link didn't work for me .
Another try .

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=kirach
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Here is one that I picked u a few years back from Artzi. The other link is another style of kirach.

http://www.oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=903

http://www.oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=376

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 02:55 PM   #5
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Welcome to the forum, and sorry for the late response.

Firangi (can be spelled in different ways) has a straight European blade, usually longer than most Indian swords. See the picture.

Kirach has an Indian, one edged blade, usually with a false edge. The special thing with the Kirach is, that the blade close to the tip curves towards the edge. For a picture, have a look at the link. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=683&highlight=Kirach
I understand that originally "firanghi" was a term applied to the Portugese foreigners and then expanded to embrace all Europeans. Most early European blades were straight rapiers; thus the sword Firanghi was the one sporting a straight rapier blade. However, the Sumatran Piso Podang hails from the Portugese "Espadao" (pronounced with -ng at the end) which means just that: "sword" and can be either straight or curved. So far so good.

But... What about curved European blades? The term Alemani applied to swords with a curved cavalry saber blade. Likely, the early examples were German and then the term just spread around.
Many European trade blades bore an inscription "Fringia" or suchlike (the place that did not exist) just to assure an Oriental buyer that the sword was indeed "Firanghi".
Jens is unquestionably correct in his general definition: Firanghi in principle is an Indian sword with an European blade.
Just that history and linguistics play bewilderingly complex games; the definitions become blurred, mutant and ultimately imprecise, because "fusion swords" defy rigid classification rules.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 03:17 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Yes Ariel, you are of course right. My definition was very general, as other blades and names and ways of spelling were connected to the term ferangi.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 03:56 PM   #7
ariel

There is no disagreement, it is just the mutually shared morass of definitions
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 03:13 AM   #8
Shiraz528

Thanks for the info guys. But what i want to know is, where was the kirach primarily used. I know it was mainly in the deccan but where in?. and what swords were used and made in Hyderabad Deccan. Thats the only thing thats been getting to me !!!
Shiraz528 is offline   Reply With Quote