Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd April 2006, 12:34 PM   #1
kingscarbine

Default 16th Century Moroccan Weapons and Soldiers

Hello,

I'm looking for pics of 16th centuyr Moroccan warriors and weapons. Is there a link or books with this info?

Cheers

Nuno
kingscarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 03:03 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Nuno,
A very interesting question concerning an extremely esoteric sector of North African history. If I may ask, what brings you to this particular period in Moroccan history?

I cannot think of any specific references that focus on the period you are placing, however there are a number of possibilities that might serve as benchmarks for clues to find the information you seek. There are a number of resources on the Moorish period in Spain, especially El Cid and the Reconquista (Osprey books has this title), but obviously this is too early, as is information on Islamic armies during the Crusades. In degree, one may consider that costume and weaponry remained traditional and in that sense somewhat similar even into the 16th century. After 1492 the Moors that left Spain into Morocco (termed Moriscos) sent reprisal raids into southern and southeastern Spain for some time, although Spain retained certain colonial presence in Morocco, such as Oran and Ceuta.
The 'Barbary Pirates' familiar in Ottoman regions in the North African littoral were somewhat aligned with thier Moroccan counterparts, the 'Sallee Rovers' during the 16th century and well into the 19th. The distinctly recognizable Moroccan 'nimcha' with its interesting guard system was used throughout these regions during the latter 16th century into Algeria as well for this reason, and typically associated with such maritime use. A good source on this period (but lacking in illustration) is "The Barbary Slaves", Stephen Clissold, 1977 (repr. Barnes & Noble, 1992, ISBN 0-88029-895-2).

In "African Arms & Armour" by Christopher Spring (p.31), there is brief mention of a Moroccan army against Songhai warriors in 1590 in what I believe was called the battle of Tondibi. The Moroccan army was however comprised mostly of slaves and European musketeer mercenaries. It seems that the Moroccans found an ally in England in thier continued animosity toward Spain and by 1603, Sultan Ahmed al Mansur proposed joint efforts to that end, although clearly they had used European mercenaries for some time.
It would seem that some information might be found in references to the Saadian dynasty, who ruled Morocco during the 16th century, and moved the capitol from Fez to Marrakesh.

I found one title that may be pertinant, but it is horribly expensive ($194.00!!). I would suggest trying to acquire it through interlibrary loan from one of the universities. It is the "Weapons & Warfare" title "West African Empires 400-1591 C.E." edited by John Powell, 2001, ISBN 1-58765-000-2.
It can be purchased however at Salem Press, the publisher. It is 2 volumes @ 832 pages 8x10.

Most of the tribal data on Morocco is purely anthropological, with some historical overview (such as "Tribes of the Rif" S.Coons, 1931) and would not lend much to the type of study you are doing, especially with regard to illustrations. I think that you should consider the traditional influences from Moorish Spain from the 15th century, the alliances and intervention of England, and typical early Berber costume and weaponry to continue your research. Most of the weaponry used in the 16th century in Morocco was more closely related to earlier weapons and not the familiar items found there from the last couple of centuries such as the s'boula, kouumya etc.

Best of luck on your project,
all the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 07:12 PM   #3
kingscarbine

I'm interested in the Portuguese-Moroccan conflicts of the 16th-17th centuries and especially the late 16th century rise of Morocco and the expedition to Songhai. I was reading John K. Thornton's "Warfare in Atlantic Africa, 1500-1800", and searched the net for info on the Moroccan army without result.
kingscarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:40 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Nuno
What is your mother language ? Portuguese ?
Probably pictures ( drawings ) are hard to find, but descriptions are possible to find here and there. If nothing better for the time being, you can find at the Portuguese National Library the "Historia do Cerco de Mazagão", a Portuguese fortification ( 1505-1769 ) now surrounded by Al Jadidah, by A. Gavy de Mendonça, a wittness of such siege ( 1562 ), with a comprehensive narration of the event, including Moorish arms and armour. It is kept in microfilm, from which you can order photocopies. Some of its parts concerning the way the moors were equipped, are quoted in a pocket book ( which i happen to have ) called "Historia de Mazagão", by Augusto Ferreira do Amaral ( Alfa Publications 1989 ). If you find it usefull, i can post here a relation of how the Moroccan were dressed for war and the most varied weapons they used ... starting with Portuguese terms and, if needed, an atemptive to translate such archaic lexicon.
By the way, you surely know that the first expedition to conquer Songhai in 1584 was a faillure, due to starvation and thirst in the desert. When they tryed again in 1591, with 4000 men leaded by a Spanish mercenary ( El D'Jouder ) they got through with the use of artillery.
I hope this helps.
fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:54 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Nuno, you have a private message.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote