Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 28th September 2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Valjhun

Default English sword/hanger - Parker Field & Sons

Hi,

Another little mystery.

A clearly english, rather short sword. Sharkskin grip, brass mounts, leather scabbard. Nice fullered blade with yelman.

Market: Parker Field & Sons 233 Holborn London

What exactly is this sword? Victorian era police hanger?

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

Hi,
Correct, this would appear to be a Victorian police/prison officers hanger. Usually there is a locking clip on these, for obvious reasons, but this one doesn't have one that I can see. I suspect this might make it earlier rather than later Victorian. There will be Forumites better versed in these than I so hopefully a definitive answer will be forthcoming shortly. Nice piece.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Completely agree with Norman's assessment, which affirms what Valjhun had astutely suggested, it is a police or prison warders hanger, and from an extremely esoteric sector of arms collecting.

In "William Parker and Parker Field, Gunmakers" by Frederick Wilkinson ("Arms and Armour Annual"Vol. I ed. Robert Held, 1973, pp. 275-282) it describes the arms produced by these makers, who were select contractors supplying the police. Thier premises at 233 Holborn were actually along the road where criminals were taken from Newgate Prison to the gallows at Tyburn and halfway between Newgate and St. Giles Church.

The blade style on this is nearly identical to the example on p.276, fig. 3&4 and the blade at the tip has the same false edge on the back of the tip (this is not actually a yelman which is an expanded 'stepped' blade tip). The stirrup hilt is rounded, suggesting a later example (c. 1860s) but this hanger could date from 1850s to 1870s, there are not really enough examples represented to say for sure.

It seems the acid etched blade motif was quite varied, but the forte panel configuration seems more aligned with the style used c.1820s when they were using cavalry M1822 type sabres, and these outfitters supplied these units as well as police, who were in a sense auxiliary units. There were etched panels running longitudinally in the fuller used on earlier examples suggested by Mr. Wilkinson, but these seem more toward the 1860s in my experience. I have seen examples similar to Solingen imports by Luneschloss of that period with that type of panel it seems, but its been quite a few years, I know they were Civil War period.
As Parker Field were primarily gunsmiths, as well as outfitters I believe thier edged weapons blades and perhaps the entire swords were imported, with the firm name etched onto the blade.

Very nice hanger, and as noted, a most desirable item of arms esoterica.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 01:38 AM   #4
Ron Anderson

Hi Jim

A good observation regarding the forte panel configuration, which is like the earlier 1822 pattern infantry swords. In fact, I've seen this pattern on infantry/cavalry/General Officer's swords in the earlier part of the Victorian era too (1837-1845). I suspect this configuration changed with the introduction of the new 1845 pattern blade (sans pipeback/quillback).

I have an artillery sword with the same forte panel configuration. I have since identified it as a Volunteer Artillery sword - it is shorter, almost hanger size, but has the three bar hilt of the standard artillery officer's sword.

It too has this earlier design on the forte panel, though I believe my sword must be later. It has a very similar blade to this hanger. I consider it to be a shorter version of the 1845 infantry blade. Almost as if the infantry officer's blade was just broken in two and sharpened. Notice how the fuller in this one goes practically to the end of the blade. I suspect in length though, you'll find the fuller about the same length as you'd find on a standard post-1845 infantry officer's sword. It is an 1845 pattern blade shortened.

Anyway, my point is it seems in police, prisons, volunteers swords and the like the forte panel design simply didn't change when the regulation patterns changed in the army.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Ron, Thank you very much for the kind note, and for the well placed observations also. While this firm supplied the police and prisons, it was over an extended period of course, and there were of course changes in proprietary situation with the passing of partners, taking over by sons etc. and changes in the placement of firm name accordingly.

I have often been surprised to discover the 'lag time' in issuance of the regulation patterns, and often it seems the 'regulation' term becomes almost a misnomer There is equally inconsistancy in outfitters, suppliers and other variations, so I suppose each case has to be examined specifically. Your point on these changes seems to be probably the way things were.

Thanks again, and all the best,
Jim
Old 30th September 2010, 06:41 AM   #6
Ron Anderson

Hi Jim

Do you have or do you know about a series of volumes entitled 'The List of changes in British military equipment'?

It's edited by Ian Skennerton. It's the British miliatry list of changes on edged weapons and accoutrements from about the 1860s to the 1920s? Very valuable.

However, I think the changes referred to here precede the published list.

Nonetheless, if you don't have the books, they're worth getting for any researcher. There are 5 volumes.
Old 30th September 2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Ron,
Thanks very much for the tip on that, and though I am familiar with the work of Mr. Skennerton I had not been aware of this one. I doubt very much that I would be able to smuggle a 5 vol. set into the 'bookmobile' here though!!!
We have been on the road in an RV for over three yrs and my 'library' is situated in sundry cabinets, under the bed, seats etc. and I can barely get an Osprey paperback in here

Good work on noting those changes though, and on these forum pages, I never stop learning !!!

All the best,
Jim
Old 30th September 2010, 08:10 PM   #8
kronckew

as noted, the prison officer ones frequently had a scabbard locking device, as on this one of mine, the blade is much the same, with false edge, as the posted one, tho this one has been chromed at some point in it's life, obscuring any earlier markings.

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 12:35 AM   #9
Ron Anderson

Hi Jim

I did not realise you lived in an RV. That is amazing.

These are very small volumes. They are A5 in size. But I understand now how limited your space must be.

I'd be happy to copy them and put them in one folio for you if you are interested. Let me know if you have a box you can pick them up from.
Old 1st October 2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Ron,
Thank you so much, that is a most kind and generous offer! Yes, I am the wandering researcher, 'on the road' for over three years now, and it definitely has challenges, space issues not withstanding. The closest thing I have to a home base or 'neighborhood' is these forums as we are constantly on the move. Thus, my domicile noted on my avatar 'Route 66'

All the best,
Jim
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:59 AM   #11
Ron Anderson

Yes, I did notice that!

I thought you had a house on the side of the highway.

Clearly not.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:58 PM   #12
terry1956

Default my hanger

above is a picture of my hanger, You can see that it has the locking catch, so making it a later item, maybe around 1850.
michael
terry1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 03:27 PM   #13
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum, Michael.
Nice hanger you got there
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 08:10 PM   #14
terry1956

Default thanks for reply

Thanks, yes its in nice condition, and thanks for saying so. looks nice on the wall, hoping to pick up some other items to go with it, tipstaff etc. michael
terry1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 10:54 PM   #15
stephen wood

...I took this one - it is unmarked - to the Arms and Armour Society meeting last week. Frederick Wilkinson had a look - his book Those Entrusted with Arms: A History of the Police, Post, Customs and Private Use of Weapons in Britain is excellent. We were discussing the fact that the design dates back to the early 1800's yet was still being produced well into the second half of the century.

I think it has less to do with Naval and Military swords and more with civilian hangers - part of a concious attempt to present early Police forces as civilian entities?
Attached Images

stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 01:58 AM   #16
Ron Anderson

Hi Stephen

As I mentioned, the same design seems to pertain to volunteer swords like the Artillery Volunteer sword that I have.

These are also I guess civilian arms, so you may be right about that assessment.

The sword I have is like the military officer's sword, but shorter and with that earlier design - both elements make it distinct from the usual army sword. No doubt they thought it was important to keep the distinction clear.
Old 12th October 2010, 08:09 AM   #17
kronckew

i read somewhere that these police/prison service hangers are usually found unsharpened as the intent if used was not to sever body parts asunder, but to inflict pain and at most break bones.

they also were a symbol of office; most european police forces do not use badges like in the US. (they use distinctive uniforms or a warrant card - ID - much like the FBI one, or ones other federal agents carry)
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 04:21 PM   #18
stephen wood

...actually Parker made edged weapons for the Volunteer Movement.

The hanger only tended to be issued to officers on solitary patrols or during civil disobedience. And they were sharpened.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 03:19 PM   #19
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Parker, Field and Company

I have had this communication from a descendent of John Perrin Field:

Quote:
My great grandmother Marianne Field and her sister came to Australia with their brother John Perrin Field in the mid-19th Century. Their father, John Perrin Field was the principal of the a/m company. John Perrin Field Snr manufactured both swords and guns. His address when active was High Holborn I believe. His son founded a machine factory here in Melbourne in the 1860s or 70s. John Perrin Field was the godson of John Perrin, Lord Mayor of London; his brother was the godson of Nelson. When the company in London folded, Field retired to Bedfordshire. Amongst the property he left was his gold watch which I passed on to my son. When his wife died (Mary Sara) he remarried (his housekeeper). His children disapproved and came en masse to Melbourne.
Lee is online now   Reply With Quote