Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd April 2006, 05:51 PM   #1
Valjhun

Default Max Yataghan lenght?

Hi!

I was always wondering wich would be the maximum lenght for a ottoman yatagan. The biggest in my collection measures 79 cm, from the end of the ear to the blade tip. What about yours examples?
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Yannis

The biggest I have seen was 90cm in scabbard
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Zifir

Default minimum length?

How about the minimum length? In some Turkish chronicles I came across the term 'yatağan bıçağı' which literally means "yatagan knife." I am not really sure whether this term refers to 'proper' yatagans or a smaller type carried by people in daily life.
Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Yannis

It is the second case. Knifes for daily use with yataghan ears.
Old 4th April 2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Valjhun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannis
It is the second case. Knifes for daily use with yataghan ears.
Well, we're talking about the upper one I guess. Both made in Sarajevo around 1888.
Attached Images

Old 4th April 2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Zifir

A very nice set you have. I have another question, can't stop asking..

Does anyone know when people stopped to produce yatagans? Maybe it is a little bit silly to ask this becuase this probably changes from region to region.

For example did they still produce yatagans in Istanbul in the late nineteenth century? The reason I am asking this that I have a sense that the yatagan production came to an abrupt end with the abolition of the Janissary Corps in 1826 since janissaries were probably the major consumers for this particular product. This is just a speculation of course.
Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 06:21 PM   #7
Valjhun

Well, i can answer you anly for the balkans. The production was up to the twenties in montenegro for sure, ceremonial use till the WWII, I guess.
Old 4th April 2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Yannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zifir
A very nice set you have. I have another question, can't stop asking..

Does anyone know when people stopped to produce yatagans? Maybe it is a little bit silly to ask this becuase this probably changes from region to region.

For example did they still produce yatagans in Istanbul in the late nineteenth century? The reason I am asking this that I have a sense that the yatagan production came to an abrupt end with the abolition of the Janissary Corps in 1826 since janissaries were probably the major consumers for this particular product. This is just a speculation of course.
For sure there was production of yataghans till late 19th century in Turkey and Balkans. After that it is regional question. For example, there is still a production of Cretan knife that is a kind of yataghan knife.
Old 5th April 2006, 03:59 AM   #9
ham

Merhaba Zifir,

One answer to two questions: the Karakulak knife is a smaller yatagan which was popular among stock breeders all over the Ottoman Empire, I have seen examples from 6" - 12" long inscribed with an early 20th century date in E. Greece and in Anatolia they remain in use in some areas today. It is more of a utility knife, not usually with a sheath and if it does have one, it will be roughly carved from pine or other soft wood. The grips, as the name indicates, are black horn, and earred.

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote