Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th December 2008, 07:28 PM   #1
Ed

Default A Venetian Barbute of ca. 1470

This thing is probably the nicest object in my collection.

Classic form, exquisitely executed.

There is some indication that the opening for the face has been jiggered with, probably long ago.

Unknown provanence except that it came from the Douglass Collection and so might have been purchased on a trip that Douglass made with von Kienbush to Europe. Might have been purchased thru the flegling Arms and Armor Club in NYC which was founded by Dean, Douglass, Kienbush et al.

It's unfortunate that even for relatively important pieces such as this, history is more often than not non existant.
Attached Images

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Ed

Here is a drawing with the various holes laid out.

The photo of the helmet shows the various things that might have been affixed.
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2008, 01:47 AM   #3
rand

HI Ed,

Nice posting of your helmet, it is indeed an excellent example. Am in total agreement with your theory of this being originally cloth covered helmet. The total craftsmanship of your helm is extremely fine. The allignment of the holes, along with the cloth covered example with an almost identical set-up, you posted are very surprisingly similar helmet, much more so than I would have expected .

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 02:14 AM   #4
Ed

I guess that uniforms were uniforms.
Old 11th December 2008, 02:24 AM   #5
rand

Have been researching the possibility of cloth covered turban helms from about the same time period as your helm, there are extremely few examples left in Islamic cloth covered helms, have only found a few examples so far and unfortunately the online photo's are copyrighted so cannot share.

Am not sure if the cloth covered ones were made in smaller numbers or not, but it does seem that there are fewer surviving examples that have the holes that allign as yours does to allow for it. In that sense it seems a rarer form. Just really like the subtle lines your helmet has, rings quality all the way through.....

The use of cloth(velvet?) definately makes for the possibilty of a more decorative helm.

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 03:26 AM   #6
Ed

A couple of thoughts on the topic. Helmets like this had inner padding to cushion blows. Now, I think that to affix such a lining there are only so many reasonable ways to go about it. I think that the decorations in the felt covered helm are fancy rivet heads that take the terminal of the thing that attaches the lining and makes it decorative.

Here are some outline drawings of helmets of this class, more or less, and the arrangement of holes on them.

This is from Grancsay's article on Barbutes in the Bulletin of the Met.

Old 11th December 2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fantastic piece Ed!! and interesting material.
In looking at this, it is compelling to consider the provenance, which is likely to have been the subject, or at least included in the research for the article written by G.A.Douglass ( "The Barbute") in the classic 'Miscellany of Arms and Armor' written by the members of the Arms & Armor Club for Bashford Dean in 1927.
This work was limited to only 150 copies and was presented to Dean on his birthday in 1928, the same year he passed away. It is exciting to imagine these early names in collecting, meeting and discussing the venerable pieces, many of which reside permanantly in the Metropolitan Museum in New York.

In looking at these types of headgear never really thought of them being covered in fabric and decorated, but then of course the rest of the armour was , so that should have been considered.

I had seen copies of that 1927 work, but wonder if this item might have been mentioned in it.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 10:49 PM   #8
Ed

George the Elder (his son, from whom I bought a lot of stuff was not really an armor guy, what he owned belonged to his Dad) owned 3 barbutes, one was in the "Corinthian" style and was the subject of the article I cited above. The cover of the Bulletin shows it with an ancient Corinthian helmet:

The famous "Lion Helmet", now at the Met, has a barbute under the decoration.

I have that book (actually inscribed by Dean) and have pored over it and every scrap of writing that has been published by Dean and von Kienbush who were the primary influences of Geo. Douglass Sr.'s collecting patterns. Geo. senior was not a scholar nor was he a collector of the first order so the mark that he has left is slight. In fact, it will be thru my cataloging of my collection and the provenence of the pieces that belonged to him that any record will exist of the fact of his collection once I snuff it.the barest hint of a reference to any piece of his. And given the quality of some of them, I am a bit surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Fantastic piece Ed!! and interesting material.
In looking at this, it is compelling to consider the provenance, which is likely to have been the subject, or at least included in the research for the article written by G.A.Douglass ( "The Barbute") in the classic 'Miscellany of Arms and Armor' written by the members of the Arms & Armor Club for Bashford Dean in 1927.
This work was limited to only 150 copies and was presented to Dean on his birthday in 1928, the same year he passed away. It is exciting to imagine these early names in collecting, meeting and discussing the venerable pieces, many of which reside permanantly in the Metropolitan Museum in New York.

In looking at these types of headgear never really thought of them being covered in fabric and decorated, but then of course the rest of the armour was , so that should have been considered.

I had seen copies of that 1927 work, but wonder if this item might have been mentioned in it.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 14th December 2008, 01:55 PM   #9
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Congratulations, Ed!

Perfect piece and perfect documentation, too.

Bet,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote