Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th November 2018, 08:41 AM   #31
colin henshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmoxis
Hi there are some books:
"Mande blacksmiths" (book) deals with some info about West Africa. A lot of west African spears are in "Armes Blanches De L'Afrique Noire". A similar double headed spear as your Ethiopian spear is depicted in " Spears and staffs with two or more points in Africa".
Actually Madagascar spears are easy to spot: the head and the end varies in length and even shape but they are the only spears the the shaft is carved to fit the head flush and not just inserted into it after making a pointy end on a stick. Most of the time the carving of the shaft is so good that wood also fits the space left from forging in the socket making it flush with that too. No other African spears to my knowledge are fitted like that. Most of the time the socket on both the head and end will have 2 or 3 brass inlay rings like yours. Your Madagascar spear has the head fitted perfectly if you look at it also the silver ring is aligned with the shaft and socket by means of carving. The end looks inserted which might mean that the spear might have been shortened and repaired quickly not allowing time for proper fitting.
Just reading through this thread again a bit more carefully and saw this post by Zalmoxis. Its not quite correct ... the African spears in question from Northern Nigeria/Bornu also have the wood shaft well carved to flush fit the socket and have brass and copper bands inlaid to the metal. The workmanship to these spears is pretty high.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2018, 09:26 AM   #32
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
Hi Iain,
Finally possibility to assign this old sword (photos below), which is very similar to the sword which is on your photo together with the spearhead an takouba. - Do you, please, know the tribe ?
Best,
Martin
Hi Martin, I wish I could give you a better answer but I'm also not sure. My guess has always been Mundang or Wandala. I posted it before here http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17871
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2018, 11:21 AM   #33
Martin Lubojacky

Thank you for reminder of this interesting previous thread. I nearly forgot....
The drawings of the swords are from
"Handbook of ethnic units in Nigeria" (Veroffentlichungen des Frobenius-Instituts an der Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitat zu Frankfurt/Main)
or
"Die materielle Kultur der nicht-islamischen Ethnien von Nordkamerun und Nordostnigeria" (Studien zur Kulturkunde) (German Edition).

I think I could buy this book on Amazon.
Best
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2018, 10:42 PM   #34
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
"Die materielle Kultur der nicht-islamischen Ethnien von Nordkamerun und Nordostnigeria" (Studien zur Kulturkunde) (German Edition).
Hi Martin, It should be this title I think. Unfortunately as I recall the text does not include much more detail and I don't believe there are any actual photos of similar pieces in the book - still it is valuable reference material.
Old 4th December 2018, 09:49 AM   #35
Iain

I finally got around to shooting some proper images of this lance, so I thought I'd add them to the thread.
Attached Images