Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th February 2015, 09:14 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Solomonized again.

'having lost one, won one today, i thought it was all over, expected to lose this one, put in a token bid anyway. didn't lose. score now wayne 2 others 1.

1.23 metres x 7 cm blade width. more info on arrival.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 04:12 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

I think the Solomon Islands are a very good area for collection. The cannibal frisson link to Fijian clubs is just as relevant to some 19th century Solomon Islands. Many forms are no less common than Fijian clubs but a lot cheaper. However for some reason far less common Solomon Island club forms can still be had for a quarter the prices of common Fijian clubs. Which is nice
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 12:11 PM   #3
kronckew

nice heavy club arrived. slight chip one edge, smooth flat spot on the other a couple inches long, where a sliver has come off, exposing the dark brown wood.both long ago.

the edges and central ridge go from top to bottom, they are not more rounded at the grip area (could use a binding to make it a bit more comfortable. the blade end has a 17 in. long raised rib about 1/8 in. high & wide integral with the club. 1079 grams
Old 19th February 2015, 03:33 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Shame about the damage. Mine is 1006 g You can feel how a good edge on hit with on of these would snap bone. Also capable of opening the flesh on bony parts of the body. Ouch !!!
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2015, 06:15 PM   #5
kronckew

luckily the damage is fairly minor, no shrinkage cracks. i like to think it shows it has been used for it's intended purpose (tho of coiurse it's now retired).
Old 19th February 2015, 10:25 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking

A HUNTING WE WILL GO, A HUNTING WE WILL GO
FOR DINNER TONIGHT WILL IT BE SAM OR JOE.

A OLD SOLOMON ISLAND SONG? NO I JUST MADE IT UP.
THIS FORM OF CLUB IS USED MUCH LIKE THE LONG MAORI TAHITIA OR THE SIMILAR EASTER ISLAND LONG CLUBS. SOME HAVE A KNOB AT THE BUTT AND MANY LIKE YOUR EXAMPLE DO NOT. THERE ARE SOME OTHER VARIATIONS IN THE HEADS OF THIS FORM AS WELL. MOST OF THIS FORM DID HAVE A DECORATIVE FIBER WRAP COVERING MOST OF THE GRIP. A NICE EXAMPLE THAT NO DOUBT COULD TELL SOME INTERESTING STORIES .
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 10:05 AM   #7
kronckew

i assume you meant the taiaha, i was thinking of it as i bid on this one.

they are generally in the range of 1.5 metres, depending in the maker's and/or user's whim & do not have wrapped grips the grip areas are slightly oval. i have two, a lightweight carved blade pine decorator, and a heavy hardwood 'user' -it's twice the weight of the pine one in the same length. (below, top is the display one, 2nd the 'user')

the taiaha has the two-faced tiki with the protruding tongue as a pommel. there is also a even more similar club to the solomon one, the Pouwhenua (bottom), that has a sharp point instead of the tiki. the taiaha mainly uses the blade end for striking, tho the pointy end can be used -it is not sharply pointed but would still do damage. the pouwhenua however is used to both strike with the blade and the sharp point. (the pouwhenua is not mine, i'm still looking for one i can afford. they cost more.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 20th February 2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 20th February 2015, 03:37 PM   #8
kronckew

here's another pouwhenua i found that was attributed to the maori it looks like the solomon island club with a pointy end and a wrapped grip. this pouwhenua is 1.13 meters. relatively short. old form inherited from polynesia?
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 20th February 2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 20th February 2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Perhaps a local morphing of forms? Spike and rounded end. Round end club 109cm the other 133cm.
Attached Images