Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th April 2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Tatyana Dianova

Default Bontoc Sword

Here is another interesting sword from the auction lot I’ve got. It is marked “Bontoc. N.-Luzon Philip. Dez. 78” (December 78). So the origin looks to be clear. But I have never seen the sword like this, except that its blade resembles spears from the same region. Does anybody know, if this sword has a traditional design, or is it a modern time (70s) fantasy creation?
By the way, it has a thick, heavy and deadly sharp blade!
Attached Images

Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 02:31 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

Definitely philippine work some traditional and some not. The crouching man on the handle is traditional style but normally not one used for knife or sword handles it is usually a village guardian or such. The dragon or whatever at the scabbard tip is not traditional philippine reminds me of the tiki masks carved in the philippines for export.
The blade form is from a spear ,this form not used traditionally for swords or knife. This is made for sale to those who travel but is well made attractive and I have not seen one like it before. It is good to have a date and location of origin. I think this spear blade form is traditionaly from the Kayan tribe rather than Bontok. But could have been put together by Bontok craftsmen or in their area. either way a nice and unusual item especially if the price was right.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 04:06 PM   #3
ThePepperSkull

the ones similar to this that I see being made today are usually lower quality in terms of modern-made N. Luzon tribal standards, and intended for tourist sale. (although I should add that from my experience, I find modern Igorot pieces made for locals to still be of very high quality, again in terms of N. Luzon tribal standards. the rattan weaving is still excellent, as is the formation of the socketed handles, and the blades are still relatively thick)

By looking at it, it seems to me this piece is better quality than those tourist ones I mentioned. Cosmetically at least. Maybe not as good as their functional counterparts, but better than modern tourist blades. It's interesting that in general, as recently as the 1970's blades throughout the philippines were made to a higher standard. Blades and fittings being made with more care, being thicker-spined, higher quality carvings, some examples from mindanao even being layered. (Though admittedly by "higher standard" I mean cosmetically rather than functionally as modern ethnographic pieces made with the intention for local use are still incredibly tough/durable for their intended uses... tourist pieces are not though.)

As a collector of mostly modern-made blades myself, pieces like this make me wonder when this shift occured and why.

Thanks for sharing this, Tatyana!

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 30th April 2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: corrected a spelling error
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Tatyana Dianova

That's what I have supposed - thank you all for the exact information!
Old 30th April 2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Nonoy Tan

Woodcarvers and blacksmiths create items depending on specifications provided by buyers, e.g middlemen. Whether finely or crudely carved, thick or thin spine depends on the specifications taking into consideration, expected profit margins, prices that tourists can afford, etc. The market for such items is still large in Northern Luzon. However, stiff competition haso driven quality and prices down. But then again, typical tourists usually do not have the same idea of quality as weapon collectors. Thus, in the case of this dagger, collectors would probably judge it as poor quality but tourists would probably love it. I am generalizing of course.

This dagger does not seem to be prevalent nowadays in the souvenir shops. Perhaps it was not a successful tourist item (from a souvenir business point of view) and therefore ceased to be produced. By the way, the design is Ifugao, not Bontoc. There are lots of Ifugaos in Bontoc areas, making and selling souvenir items. Also, lots of Ifugao-made souvenir items are brought to Bontoc to be sold. Some Bontoc souvenir makers have even adopted Ifugao designs.

Nonetheless, this dagger is a lethal weapon and may have its practical uses.
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 08:34 PM   #6
Tatyana Dianova

Nonoy Tan: this is a very valuable information indeed, thank you for sharing.
And you are right, it is a lethal weapon I haven't shown enough respect to it while cleaning and was immediately punished with a clean cut, although there were two layers of thick paper between my hand and the blade - the blade is really razor sharp! And I do not remember being cut with a blade for at least last several years
Old 1st May 2011, 12:12 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

So Nonoy Tan, this style of spearhead is Ifugao and not a general type of spear used but all Igorot groups?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 06:05 AM   #8
Nonoy Tan

This type of spearhead (in general form) is found not only among the Ifugao but other Northern Luzon Cordillera peoples with countless variations. We have to remember that the inhabitants of the Luzon Cordillera were not a single people, recently grouped into "Igorot." Each village was more or less independent, even with regards to the Ifugao. Thus among the Ifugao, variations of this type of spearhead exists too, depending on which village used it and the blacksmith who created it. It takes a while to be able to differentiate whether the same form of spearhead is from which village or area. Since the early 1900s lot of hybrids have started to turn up too, owing to the increased contact between villages. Thus, it is not unusual to encounter a spear consisting of a spearhead, ferrule, shaft, and butt cap from different provenances.
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 08:53 PM   #9
DaveA

Default Hilt carving - Bulol

I have a similar but smaller knife from the Ifugao tribe. The hilt carving is in the shape of “Sitting Bulol”, the god-protector of old granaries.

As another forum member posted, the term Igorot doesn't refer to a specific tribe. Ifugao are one of (at least) six distinct tribal groups of the "Igorot" (Mountain People). Their lives are deeply involved with the growing of rice and the carving of Bulol is emblematic of the ritual and magic in their culture.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 07:43 AM   #10
Tatyana Dianova

DaveA, can you please post the pictures?
Old 9th May 2011, 12:40 PM   #11
DaveA

Default Ifugao Bulul Dagger

This is a small dagger made by the Ifugao trip of the Philippines. The hilt and scabbard are made of acacia wood, carved in traditional patterns. Including the hilt and scabbard, this dagger measures about 13 inches long.

The hilt is cared in the shape of “Sitting Bulol”, the god-protector of old granaries. The scabbard is carved in the shap of a python head. Woven rattan holds together the scabbard and also forms a small hook for carrying.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote