Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 14th January 2019, 10:00 PM   #1
Iain

Default A Likely Byzantine or Fatimid Sword of the Xth – XIth Centuries

Lee was kind enough to allow me to do a write up on this intriguing sword.

For those interested in this rather rare form, I've put it up on my personal site at: http://iainnorman.com/essays/2019/01...ith-centuries/. A physical description of this example and some supporting extant examples within the same family of hilts.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 04:52 AM   #2
TVV

Iain, thank you for a well written essay on a very interesting and important topic. Frankish made swords, often referred to as Viking, from the 8th-10th centuries AD are well studied, yet we have no real typology for the Byzantine and Arab broadswords from the same period based on guards, blade shape, etc.

It is hard to tell whether these swords are Byzantine, or Fatimid, or Abbasid, or Bulgarian, and where they may have been made, but during the High and Late Middle Ages they disappear from South-Eastern Europe, replaced by Western type swords, like type XII and XIII and later types per Oakeshott (see the Aleksic book on swords from the region). However, this hilt style with a cuffed guard remained popular in the Middle East and Egypt, as we can see on Saif Badawi, such as the image I am attaching, which I believe was sold by Hermann Historica and is likely Mameluke.

In Southern Arabia it seems that this style did not go out of fashion all the way until the 18th century, possibly even the 19th century as we can see it on the Saif Yamani from Oman. The blade dimensions and shape on these Omani swords is also not very different from what we see on these Byzantine/Islamic swords from the 8th-10th centuries.
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 09:42 AM   #3
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Iain, thank you for a well written essay on a very interesting and important topic. Frankish made swords, often referred to as Viking, from the 8th-10th centuries AD are well studied, yet we have no real typology for the Byzantine and Arab broadswords from the same period based on guards, blade shape, etc.

It is hard to tell whether these swords are Byzantine, or Fatimid, or Abbasid, or Bulgarian, and where they may have been made, but during the High and Late Middle Ages they disappear from South-Eastern Europe, replaced by Western type swords, like type XII and XIII and later types per Oakeshott (see the Aleksic book on swords from the region). However, this hilt style with a cuffed guard remained popular in the Middle East and Egypt, as we can see on Saif Badawi, such as the image I am attaching, which I believe was sold by Hermann Historica and is likely Mameluke.

In Southern Arabia it seems that this style did not go out of fashion all the way until the 18th century, possibly even the 19th century as we can see it on the Saif Yamani from Oman. The blade dimensions and shape on these Omani swords is also not very different from what we see on these Byzantine/Islamic swords from the 8th-10th centuries.
Hi Teodor,

Yes, the example you posted is in the Furusiyya Art Foundation Collection now and is likely Mamluk and 13th-14th century.

The type was certaintly pervasive throughout the region and the Balkans, echos of it can be even seen in 17th century Bosnian work.
Attached Images

Old 20th January 2019, 08:02 PM   #4
TVV

I only know of 2 such Bosnian swords - one in Hales book and one from the Furusiyya book. Both are late - 16th century. I suspect this hilt style may have been reintroduced by the Ottomans, especially after the majority of Bosnians converted to Islam. Skenderbeg's sword is also an Ottoman broadsword, though the hilt is not the cuff style, but it shows how the Ottoman conquest influenced arms and armor in the area.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 08:12 AM   #5
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
I only know of 2 such Bosnian swords - one in Hales book and one from the Furusiyya book. Both are late - 16th century. I suspect this hilt style may have been reintroduced by the Ottomans, especially after the majority of Bosnians converted to Islam. Skenderbeg's sword is also an Ottoman broadsword, though the hilt is not the cuff style, but it shows how the Ottoman conquest influenced arms and armor in the area.
The Furusiyya example is noted as 17th century but could be late 16th. There is another I am aware of that sold a few years ago and was discussed here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=160796

It appears the style was in vogue among troops used by Venice from the Balkans.