Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th February 2023, 04:05 AM   #1
Dumplings

Default Need help on a Moroccan dagger / Koummya

Hi Forum,
I am a newbee in sword collecting and this is my first post here. I got two koummya in an estate auction, one of which has a thin and rough blade so probably low-grade tourist piece. The other is a little confusing.
It has bone handle, non-silver metal work, looks have some age. Thick blade more than 3mm, ridge in the middle, and looks smooth and well made. It also have a maker's mark, looks like 2 birds or a bird with two heads. With all those positive signals its blade is not sharpened -- an indicator for tourist piece. Would like to ask its possible age and whether it is collectible. Thank you!
PS: I polished it with autosol. The blade before polish is shown in last figure.
Attached Images

Dumplings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2023, 09:47 AM   #2
milandro

Welkome.

I am not an expert about these but I see them really a lot in the NL with so many of the people here having a Moroccan or North African background. If I had a pound (if not a penny) for each one I see, I'd be rich.

This appears to be an above average made piece, nevertheless, I don't think that it is a weapon made very long ago nor it would be a weapon that would have exceeded the tourist market quality.

It is what it is.

We have a page here about Koummyas for you to have a look
http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/koummya/index.html
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2023, 09:08 PM   #3
Dumplings

Thank you!
Dumplings is offline   Reply With Quote