Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd October 2006, 05:04 AM   #1
Genlee

Default Need Help Identifying This Knife

Guys This little baby was just given to me for services rendered. I do computer consulting and in home training, and the gentleman did not have the $200 for my house call. So he asked me if I wanted a knife in trade? Well now who could pass up the oppurtunity, worse case senario the knife was junk and I would say no.

But noooooo he pulls this out and I knew I had something very nice in hand.

he said it was made during WWII and I must agree as he was a vet from WWII, the age of the sheath fits the time. Plus almost all the fitting are aluminum, and acrylic of some sort and bone, along with some type of horn material. So my next step is to restore the blade as it seems he tried to polish the blade. It is mirrored on one side poorly done and and it looks like he started on the other side. I did notice a small crack in the blade close to the guard.

Sorry it is about 12" long

Can you guys help me figure out what type of knife this is.

Genlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Genlee.

Welcome to the Forum.

You have a Filipino knife frm the main island of Luzon, probably made in Central Luzon -- Manila or thereabouts. The knife is similar to many that were brought back by GIs stationed in the Philippines after WWII and could date from 1945.

I notice what appears to be aluminum in the guard and handle. This would mean 1940s or later.

A nice knife and it appears well made. Unfortunately we don't give appraisals of value here. Perhaps someone could PM or email you with comments about its value.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote