Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st January 2024, 09:14 PM   #1
drac2k

Default A Small Piece of History

Recently I bought a grouping of several items and in this lot unbeknown to me was this simple cane with a plaque that stated "Hancock House Massacre 1778."
I was unfamiliar with this event, so I researched it and found that it was an engagement after the American Militia successfully repulsed the attempts of the British Army to transverse the 3 bridges that crossed the Alloway Creek. The Americans confident, left the bridges guarded and some of them bivouacked in the Hancock House. That night 300 Queens Rangers and Tories guided by slaves crossed downriver with boats, traveled through the marsh, and stealthfully entered the Hancock House where they bayoneted 20 to 30 militia soldiers in their sleep under the direction of Maj. Simcoe.
Well, back to the cane; from what I understand, in the early 1930s, some renovations were done to the house, and as a way to raise money some actual pieces of the structure were turned into canes and sold to the public.
If anyone else has one or can shed more light on this walking stick, it would be appreciated.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2024, 07:58 AM   #2
M ELEY

Wow! This is a pretty cool piece of Rev War history! Sorry, not much more to add other than to say Simcoe was a very controversial character. Items such as these were popular in past centuries, such as book ends, walking canes and mug coasters made from the wreck of the HMS Royal George, for instance.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2024, 09:35 PM   #3
drac2k

Thanks, M ELEY.It caused me to do a little research on the item and I was fascinated by the surrounding background story. I then realized how little I knew about our fight for Independence and the incredible personal sacrifices our Founding Fathers made for us.
Old 6th January 2024, 12:08 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Rabble in Arms is a great novel of those times; Kenneth Roberts is the author.
Another one of his novels is titled Arundel, about Arnold's march on Quebec.

They take a bit of the dryness out of history.

Here's another souvenir of that period; the cathead cut from the HMS Somerset 74 that was wrecked in what is now Truro Ma.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2024, 06:05 AM   #5
drac2k

That is one of the coolest things that I have seen lately!