Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2023, 05:49 PM   #1
Jerseyman

Default Cord Wrap Kris

A Philippine kris, but not sure exactly from which region or people.

It seems to have been possibly re-hilted, or at the very least re-gripped. It has a very simple, but surprisingly subtly shaped pommel when you examine it 360º

It's hard to tell in the pictures, but I think the gangya might be separate to the blade. Very tightly fitted, but if you look at the dropped end there is the smallest notch visible.

The blade has either a snake (?) or trident (?) engraved on each face. The blade is laminated. No scabbard unfortunately.

Apologies for the picture quality.

Dimensions

Length 70cm
Blade length 55cm
Blade width 4 > 3cm
Gangya 12cm x 1cm x 0.6cm
Hilt 15cm x 4cm x 6.5cm
Attached Images

Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2023, 08:43 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

The blade looks very probably late 19th-early 20th century, possibly Maguindanao. The hilt and the wrap seem untraditional and may have been made by someone outside of the culture, or at least someone inexperienced or unskilled at make a kakatau hilt. The wood does seem to have some age to it though. Hard to say when it was added.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2023, 10:43 PM   #3
kai

Yup, not a traditional hilt.

Blade certainly has a separate gangya.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2023, 12:48 AM   #4
RobT

Default 1 Piece Baca Baca

Hi Jerseyman,

Based on the one piece baca baca, I think your kris is late 19th to early 20th century. This one piece design is more sturdy and effective at its job than the two piece design. They are so superior that you never see two one piece baca baca on the same kris (at least I haven't). These one piece baca baca are seen on kris with tightly fitted ganja or on one piece blades. I think these changes were an effort to fashion kris that were able to take more torque on impact without loosening up.

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2023, 03:44 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The blade looks very probably late 19th-early 20th century, possibly Maguindanao. The hilt and the wrap seem untraditional and may have been made by someone outside of the culture, or at least someone inexperienced or unskilled at make a kakatau hilt. The wood does seem to have some age to it though. Hard to say when it was added.
There are many hulu varieties found on these types.

I see the plain nature of the one presented to have some age. I don't feel as old as the blade though.

I do however feel, that given there is decent age to timber surface, and there is a vast variety of hulu found, that this cord wrapped one sits in the most basic visual terms, between the known and expected Kakatau form and this example attached.

The how and why is beyond me, but I suspect there are many cultural aspects, minorities and mythological interpretations lost through time and the development of the more modern world post WWII.... you only have to see a couple of the odd pommel types from the Frey collection to see the diversity in Kris hulu.

Perhaps the Forum's much more learned students could perhaps comment on the Katik similarities seen on both of these to draw regional insights to what might be seen in the simplistic hulu?
Attached Images

Last edited by Gavin Nugent; 6th September 2023 at 07:42 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2023, 08:22 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

I agree with the assessment that this is a late 19th C style Maguidanao kris with an atypical hilt. The manner of wrapping the hilt with thin rings of woven rattan looks very much like mainland SE Asian work, similar to what is seen on some dha/daab. The simple "kakatua" pommel is well carved but could have been made from a drawing or photograph by someone well outside the origina Moro culture, which may explain its departure from the norm.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2023, 12:19 AM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I believe the wrap is one piece of braided material rather than thin rings Ian.
If you look closely at the wrap you can see the lump caused by this style of braided cord running beneath the wrapping; plus there is a hole drilled to accept the end of the wrap at the base of the hilt. I'd be willing to bet this work was done way out of the culture it came from.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2023, 10:04 AM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I believe the wrap is one piece of braided material rather than thin rings Ian.
If you look closely at the wrap you can see the lump caused by this style of braided cord running beneath the wrapping; plus there is a hole drilled to accept the end of the wrap at the base of the hilt. I'd be willing to bet this work was done way out of the culture it came from.
It is indeed one single wrap... I'm no expert on paracord... someone might be able to place the cord... Post WWII wrap I suspect....
Old 7th September 2023, 12:38 PM   #9
wildwolberine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
It is indeed one single wrap... I'm no expert on paracord... someone might be able to place the cord... Post WWII wrap I suspect....
Looks like braided cotton or nylon twine (probably cotton)?
wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2023, 05:18 PM   #10
Jerseyman

Thank you all. It's good to have a clearer attribution. All of the weapons we look at have such individual journeys, and like all useful tools are often repaired and repurposed. I find the strange mongrels just as fascinating as the purebreds sitting clearly within their cultural context.
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2023, 07:58 AM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Perhaps worth noting, as I see it anyway... Woolley in his work presents many line drawings. One showing the typical lines of the classic pommel most expect to find on the Kris, another showing the Jungayan Datu type, and another very akin to this style presented above, and another simpler less common design that I think Frey had in his collection.
Old 16th September 2023, 06:06 PM   #12
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyman View Post
Thank you all. It's good to have a clearer attribution. All of the weapons we look at have such individual journeys, and like all useful tools are often repaired and repurposed. I find the strange mongrels just as fascinating as the purebreds sitting clearly within their cultural context.
Well said!

I agree.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote