Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th March 2018, 08:45 PM   #1
Drabant1701

Default Translating text and date on a Ottoman dagger

I have bought Ottoman dagger (jambiya?). Its really big, about 48cm long, and has a nice watered steel blade. On one side of the blade there is an arabic text and on the other side a date. The last digit in the date is halfway gone but I do think its a nine. As far as I can tell it would be 1219 = 1804, correct?
I have no idea what the text might say, but there might be someone on the forum that could read it. If you can, and want to I would very much appriciate a translation to english (or swedish .

Regards Peter
Attached Images

Last edited by Drabant1701; 13th March 2018 at 09:01 PM.
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 03:20 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I love the wootz!

Not sure the scabbard and hilt are original to each other though.

Yes Ottoman jambiya.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 07:39 AM   #3
Drabant1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I love the wootz!

Not sure the scabbard and hilt are original to each other though.

Yes Ottoman jambiya.
The wootz is awsome. I bought it with really dirty blade thinking that it might be wootz. I just cleaned it a little and etched it. I got a weird result with lighter patches near the gold koftgari. I polished and reetched with the same result.
Strangly they are uniform on both sides

Edit: Found at blade with similar difference in color, makes me think its been heat treated. https://www.instagram.com/p/BVkbZ8kg...-by=mkantiques

The scabbard and hilt do look like they dont match, maybe they dont. But this is pretty similar. http://armsandantiques.com/19th-c-si...a-dagger-md428
Attached Images

Last edited by Drabant1701; 14th March 2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 15th March 2018, 12:29 AM   #4
ariel

Very nice.

The date is 121(9?), corresponding in the worst possible case to 1804-1805.
Full silver scabbard is likely original.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 12:32 PM   #5
motan

Great dagger. Absolutely beautiful wootz. The scabbard and general shape look Eastern Turkish, Kurdish influenced.
There is one thing I have to add though. As you said yourself, it might have been "treated" at some later date. The perfect state of the koftgiri + these light patches are a bit suspicious and may suggest the the koftgiri has been re-done at some point.
motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 05:11 PM   #6
Drabant1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by motan
Great dagger. Absolutely beautiful wootz. The scabbard and general shape look Eastern Turkish, Kurdish influenced.
There is one thing I have to add though. As you said yourself, it might have been "treated" at some later date. The perfect state of the koftgiri + these light patches are a bit suspicious and may suggest the the koftgiri has been re-done at some point.
Thanks you Ariel and Motan for your comments.

I am not experienced enough to judge of the koftgari is re-done. My guess is that it is period to the dagger. I have a couple of ottoman pieces with koftgari, one of them a sword from the same period with koftgari that is in very good condition. From what I have seen this type of koftgari seem to be very resistant to wear, and may well look very good after 200 years.

After 3 years of collecting I am however starting to realize that not much is certain when collecting "oriental" arms and I am allways open to revalute and learn from those with more experience.