Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th September 2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Battara
EAAF Staff

Default Indian Kukri with Gold Koftgari

I just got this Indian kukri from Rsword and it has great gold koftgari all over the hilt, spine, and top of the blade. Blade has some remnants of wootz that were burned out by the forging process. No scabbard. Enjoy.....
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 11:39 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Nice !
Can we have some dimensions, Jose?
Has the wootz pattern disappeared along the temper line ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 11:44 PM   #3
spiral

A fascinating & lovely piece Battara! Thanks for sharing! Any photos of the burnt out wootz possible? it would be interesting to see.
Is the right side of the bolster missing? It seems so to my eye but I may be mistaken? If so how is the left hand attached? Was it originaly seperate left & right hand sides? Enquirning minds need to know!

A great find & fascinating piece for further study, congratulations indeed!

Looks a great historical piece.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 03:39 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

It is 16 inches long (40 cm). There is nothing missing and I don't know how both sides of the bolsters are connected except that they are part of the hilt and the bolster is not separately made. As far as the wootz is concerned, I am having problems showing it by camera. Some of what I can see is near the temper line.

I was advised that a red velvet scabbard with a small gilded chape and embroidery down the backside would be good. What do you suggest for a scabbard? What about the bi-knives?
Old 28th September 2009, 01:21 PM   #5
spiral

Thankyou Battara, that sounds even better! It must be my eyes!

I understand you wanting a scabbard, red velvet & gilt chape sounds like it would match well with its look, I personaly probably wouldnt put small knives with it unless I came across some by chance, but if I did with a kukri of this lambendh {long handle.}style & potential age, Ive noticed that often{normaly even.} have twin very kukri shaped karda. Hard to find originals though,

Hers an example at the Pittrivers museaum in Oxfordshire.{Great & rare quill work as well on this scabbard.}

Spiral

Old 28th September 2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Here is the best picture I could get of the disappearing wootz:
Attached Images

Old 28th September 2009, 05:37 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Spiral how old do you think my kukri is? Also thank you for the picture and advice. What I could find in velvet was this:
Attached Images

Old 29th September 2009, 11:02 AM   #8
spiral

Ahh yes Battara thats a very coveted piece! The kardas are again the similar style although probably rhino horn into the bargain.

Its certanly a suitable scabbard in my opinion, I wonder if the embroidery is quill work on that one as well? I would think it quite possible.

If you know the german collector who owns the piece it may be interesting to see front of scabbard as well & to know more about the embroidery.

In my opinion {for what its worth.} pre. dates the Indian mutiney so I think your kukri is probably very early to mid 1800s even though the Lambendh style handle & that blade shape {often called hanshee in the west}. are spometimes even older than that. But of course others may disagree.

My knowledge of koftgari styles is almost non existant so others may be able to date using that as a method as well perhaps?

spiral
Old 29th September 2009, 10:36 PM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thank you for your help.
Old 30th September 2009, 04:45 PM   #10
Jens Nordlunde

Battara, please excuse my late reply on your thread, but I have been busy finding additional pieces of information’s for an article, I have written on Bundi katars, to be published later this year.

Kukri’s are not my speciality, so I am glad Spiral has posted. When this said I must agree that you have a very nice one, but I would like to as you a question. The decoration on the hilt – is it chiselled and then guild?

You can see what I mean on the hilt attached. I have seen a number of these decorations, and most of them are said to be from Lahore – or that area, so if you want to further investigate it, this area would be a very good place to start.

Jens

I forgot all about the picture - sorry.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 30th September 2009 at 06:21 PM.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 01:15 AM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thank you Jens that too is very helpful. No, the koftgari is on without chiseling.

Thank you all for your help and comments.
Old 25th May 2011, 02:04 AM   #12
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well I did it. I finished the scabbard for this piece. I made it of velvet covered wood and the seam on the other side I hand stitched all the way down. The tip is made of gold filled brass (the closest to gilt anything I could find). Also I pierced the metal.

I want to thank all of you who helped me with the research.

Enjoy
Attached Images

Old 25th May 2011, 04:00 PM   #13
Atlantia

Great job Jose! (as always)
IMHO it's completely in keeping with the item and very much what I would have aimed for were it mine.
What did you use for the ribbon on the scabbards velvet seam?

Best
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 05:10 PM   #14
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thank you Atlantia. I used fabric store ribbon with gold colored threads. I also used gold colored metallic thread to sew the ribbon onto the velvet.