Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th December 2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Nepalese knives.

These look like Nepalese to me. The blades are said to be approx 18" that is quite big.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 07:14 PM   #2
spiral

Yep Tim there Nepelese. If well tempered they cut green vegitation very well.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Thats good because they are mine now. Looking at the scabbard mouth they are reasonably heavy. I have handled these in the past, they have all been very good so far. Bit of a gamble this one.
Old 18th December 2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Just thought of this link. I no longer have the knife in the link. The new ones look alright to me.
Old 18th December 2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Forgot the link
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=bowie
Old 18th December 2007, 10:24 PM   #6
spiral

Yep same family for sure Tim, Any more photos? as always Id be interested to see the closeup workmanship details.

Evrything from Nepal comes in various qualitys as its all hand made, but if there solid & tempered there well worth having in my opinion, nice shape, good size etc.

Spiral
Old 19th December 2007, 08:46 AM   #7
Tim Simmons

No thats all there is and it will be a while before I get them now. So it was, is
a gamble. If it works out I will be a real winner. So untill they arrive, fingers crossed.
Old 28th December 2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Tim Simmons

Question Other than Nepalese?

I have them now. I will show pictures of one as they are pretty much the same. I just need to add some more turquoise next week, the pieces I have to hand are to small. Forged blades, hollow ground on both sides, good temper. Steel guard, brass chape which has been quite well made with faceted thoughtfully. The metal ring under the guard is steel and made in a way I have not seen before on Nepalese weapons even the most crude Kukri.

One assumes these to be Nepalese but they could come from a vast area as discussed before all the way to Bengal? The materials and decoration could be common to many people. The blade is not tanged through the handle. The shape reminds me more of the handles on some Naga Dao. The Himalayan foot hills are home to many tribal groups. They have been well used and judging by the patina I would say turn of the 19th early 20th century. Somebody has taken great care of the blades. When I have sourced more stone I will have one spare if anybody is interested. Pictures-

Very interesting joint to the scabbard on the concave curve. Although these are not made with great finesse they are not crude and very comfortable to use, typical tribal work.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 28th December 2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 28th December 2007, 11:35 AM   #9
Tim Simmons

Default The blade,

and handle.

Old 28th December 2007, 03:56 PM   #10
Emanuel

Thumbs up

Very cool knives, Tim!
The blade looks a bit like a sossoun-pata. The motif on the scabbard is similar to some I've seen on "box kothimora", but I haven't yet seen rattan bindings on Nepalese weapons.
What is the thickness of the blades, 1/4" or so?

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Lew
(deceased)

Tim

Those two swords are really nice they seem to have some age to them with good patina on the scabbards.

Congrats.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 05:12 PM   #12
Tim Simmons

Thanks you chaps. The back is 6mm for the most part but hollow ground so the blade is relatively light. The temper is similar to that of most tulwars and other basic cavalry sabres. I think as the blades are 18" long and the relative light blade they are more like short swords than knives. I will get some more stone sent to me on Wednesday.
Old 28th December 2007, 06:20 PM   #13
spiral

Nice one Tim, The scabbard construction, motives & indeed rattan binding occur on many Nepali weapons including kukri. Nearly evry Nepali wooden scabbard I have ever seen has the rattan binding.

And such knives/swords turn up in Nepal. It looks Nepalese to me, But I cant say whether or not there made in other parts of the Himalayas or not, though.

Anything made in Nepal seems to be common in the areas of Indian that are peopled by Nepalis at the very least.

Spiral
Old 29th December 2007, 09:58 AM   #14
Tim Simmons

Question Interesting photo

Some might find this photo interesting. My maternal grand father the first European from the left with a pith helmet. This is at the end of his military career in the educational corp. He started in 1914 with the Cold stream guards.
Old 29th December 2007, 11:38 AM   #15
spiral

Excelent photo Tim, Nice to have the family history with it. It looks like 3 gurkhas in the front row to me.

As we all know Waziristan is still in the news today for its wildness etc. Your Grandfather would have seen many kukri along with the usual NWF weapons I am sure. There was essentialy 2 different wars there I think in early 20th century?

Have you any other photos from him?

Spiral
Old 29th December 2007, 04:35 PM   #16
Tim Simmons

A cousin has more I will enquire. I have pictures of my paternal grand father in a rather posh artillery regiment which when not war time, is a territorial regiment but they do not relate to ethno-weapons.