Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th December 2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Nagawarrior

Question Ethnograhic Adornment

Sorry if I'm way outa line on this one. I like to add objects of adornment along with swords I collect. Perhaps others do as well. Here is a belt I picked up long ago but don't know exactly what culture to place it in. I believed it to be Indonesian at the time. I'm not even sure if its a man or womens belt. Can anyone help out here?
Thanks all,
Stephen*
Attached Images

Nagawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Nagawarrior

Here's another belt I owned. I couldn't identify it so I eventually sold it. I resently saw a picture of Shahrial Alam Shah and his buddies wearing this type of belt buckle with their Keris shoved throught the waist band. I've learned they are called "Pending". What an awesome look! Now I'm kicking myself for selling it. Oh well, live and learn. Good to display with your Keris collection I would say. I'd wear it around the house with one of my Keris

Pending is a large, intricately ornamented belt buckle worn around the sampin, a skirt-like cloth worn by men, to complement their baju melayu, the traditional attire for men. Traditionally, the pending is a sign of wealth and status for Malaysian men.

Last edited by Nagawarrior; 19th December 2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 19th December 2010, 06:17 PM   #3
ronpakis

Default buckle

hello,

the second one is very nice and i really understand you feel sorry, its the way it goes.. i would love to have a piece like that. the first one reminds me of 20th century javanese hairpins. the way the leaves are shaped and the stones are quite similar. the rattan is a bit strange to me. i would say javanese, but not to old.

regards ron.
Attached Images

ronpakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

What crappy stuff - I'll go ahead and take it all off your hands.

The belt "buckles" are used all over the Indonesian, Moro, and Malaysian worlds. Yes they were worn by men of status and datus. They should be made of solid silver. Yours look to be Indonesian, though not sure.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Nagawarrior

Ron;
Does look very similar to the Javanese hair pins. By George I think you've got it.

Jose;
I know. A bunch of junk. Should be happy someone would take it off my hands.
The Pending was amazing. One day I'll find another. Had to feed the collecting monster and it was sacrificed. I seem to remember a cool belt buckle in the movie "Farewell to the King". Nick Nolte played a Dyak king or some deal. You see it?
Old 20th December 2010, 04:30 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Oh yes and I loved the movie. Yes as I said datus and men of status all over the region wear this type of buckle.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote