Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd May 2017, 11:23 PM   #1
Iliad

Default Sudanese kaskara

Greetings all,
Here are pics of my latest purchase. The auction catalogue said that it is a Sudanese Kaskara. The scabbard is contained within what I think is a lizard skin. Are there lizards in Sudan? The mouth is rounded, so probably not crocodile. There are small teeth clearly visible. There are two side knives. Any and all comments welcome, any comment will add to my small store of knowledge.
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 02:02 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Brian:

Interesting presentation of pieces. I am wondering whether this rather elaborate assemblage is more a work of cultural art than a practical collection of weapons. The blades on the knives do not look very functional--have they been sharpened? Similarly, the blade of the kaskara does not look like it is forged metal.

How was this item presented to you when you were buying it?

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 05:46 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

I am in totally agreement with Ian's observations on this. More photos of the blades would be of great help as well. The scabbards looks to be covered in monitor lizard skin to me.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Iliad

Good Morning all,
Thank you for the replies so far.
The two side knives are not sharp and are probably more ornamental than useful. The sword blade also has not been sharpened and is made of rather thin steel. Probably not suitable for fighting, nevertheless, an interesting piece and I am pleased to have it, especially since I did not pay a lot for it. It makes a good conversation piece anyway!.
Thank you once again for replies.
Best regards to all,
Brian
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 07:02 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree as well with Ian and Robert on this item, and the term 'cultural art' is very well appointed in place of the too often used sobriquet, 'tourist'.
After Omdurman in 1898, and the defeat of the forces of the Sudanese Caliphate, thousands of kaskaras and all manner of souveniers were dragged out of these regions during the Condominium occupation.

When supplies of actual battlefield trophies were exhausted, a new cottage industry of supplying the souks with simulated items was created. Actually many spear heads and other items were made in Birmingham, England.
Often kaskara are found made of steel from truck springs and railroad yard scraps, many from sheet steel still reflecting English company stamps!

Many of these 'anatomically' decorated examples of weapons fall into these categories, however many of the original examples, less elaborate, were probably in actual use. Crocodile hide is indeed totemically important tribally in Nilotic tribal perceptions.

The thuluth on these blades seems of course imitated, from original script though, and while the dagger hilts seem replacement. The wrap on the hilt is atypical, and it is unusual to see daggers as part of sword scabbard.
The whole assembly does seem of good age, and not usual to see use of crocodile anatomy in this degree, though it does occur.

I had one with the hilt entirely of a crocodile hilt, and the scabbard its hide (my wife hated it!!). The slave trade in Darfur particularly in remote areas remained in place regardless of the occupation etc. I have often wondered if perhaps these gruesome and macabre assemblies might have been worn by bosses or traders in these contexts, a psychological and totemic signal of power ? The crocodile is of course greatly feared and respected and use of its hide etc. imbue with such power, as I have been told by a Fur tribesman I once knew.

Not for 'fighting' but 'shock' and power value....interesting Brian!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote