FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th February 2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

More Old Omani Battle Swords.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams All~ Note to Library; The top hole is well illustrated in Omani Battle Swords. The tang falls short of that point having two securing holes. The obvious reason that it was used as a wrist strap anchor point is generally accepted. On the very odd occasion it is sometimes seen filled with a rivvet.

Interestingly the crossguard has two holes mirroring the design of the Mamluke sword suggesting that this entire design is a cross of two museum forms shown in post #10.

The Omani Battle Sword is similar in design to the Ottoman/ Mamluke Sword at Picture 1 post# 10 on 13 counts and to the Mamluke/ Ottoman Sword at Picture 2 post# 10 on 16 counts.

The two Ottoman/Mamluke forms by association and design comparison must therefor both be Abbassiid.

The technology transfer to the Omani Battle Sword is thus still underpinned at 751 AD.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 10th February 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10th February 2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all ~ Earliest known picture of an Omani Battle Sword seen on a sketch of Sultan Bin Bargash though actually quite late in the 19th C. proving that it was Iconised and carried by Royalty and well on into the early 20th C and beyond..(It is still Iconised today)

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Note; Wiki encyclopedia states that Khalid bin Barghash of Zanzibar.
Sayyid Khalid bin Barghash Al-Busaid (1874 – 1927) (Arabic: خالد بن برغش البوسعيد‎) was the sixth Sultan of Zanzibar and the eldest son of the second Sultan of Zanzibar, Sayyid Barghash bin Said Al-Busaid. Khalid briefly ruled Zanzibar (from August 25 to August 27, 1896), seizing power after the sudden death of his cousin Hamad bin Thuwaini of Zanzibar who many suspect was poisoned by Khalid. Britain refused to recognize his claim to the throne, citing a treaty from 1866 which stated that a new Sultan could only accede to the throne with British permission, resulting in the Anglo-Zanzibar War in which Khalid's palace and harem were shelled by British vessels for 38 minutes, killing 500 defenders, before a surrender was received. Khalid fled his palace to take refuge in the German consulate from which he was smuggled to German East Africa where he received political asylum. He was captured by British forces at Dar es Salaam in 1916 and was exiled to the Seychelles and Saint Helena before being allowed to return to East Africa where he died in Mombasa in 1927.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 10th February 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10th February 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams all ~ Earliest known picture of an Omani Battle Sword seen on a sketch of Sultan Bin Bargash though actually quite late in the 19th C. proving that it was Iconised and carried by Royalty and well on into the early 20th C and beyond..(It is still Iconised today)
Dear Ibrahiim,

The image you have presented lacks the traditional quillons of the earlier sword types and the length and width of the sword pictured is in line with the type you claim are only dance swords.

With respect, I suggest, based on the image you have shown above and the larger detail I have presented below, that Khalid bin Barghash's sword is a long handled fighting sword of the later type you refer to as dance swords.

Regards

Gavin
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Michael Blalock

I have always attributed the sword in this image as the earlier type. I believe the hilt has some silver cladding that softens the silouet but the quillions are definitely there.
Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blalock
I have always attributed the sword in this image as the earlier type. I believe the hilt has some silver cladding that softens the silouet but the quillions are definitely there.

Salaams Michael Blalock, Yes correct it may have silver cladding since the individual Khalid bin Bargash being royalty and in the 1860/70s would likely have sported the Royal Style hilt but of course this is only a sketch. Never the less the quillons are there thus proving its an Old Omani Battle Sword. Thank you for your post.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 11th February 2013, 07:04 AM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Dear Ibrahiim,

The image you have presented lacks the traditional quillons of the earlier sword types and the length and width of the sword pictured is in line with the type you claim are only dance swords.

With respect, I suggest, based on the image you have shown above and the larger detail I have presented below, that Khalid bin Barghash's sword is a long handled fighting sword of the later type you refer to as dance swords.

Regards

Gavin
Salaams ~ Please look again at the sketch.. It shows a straight Old Omani Battle Sword with obvious turned down quillons. Dancing swords (straight Sayf) and Kattara (Curved) longhilts didn't have quillons.

Note that I show this sketch to illustrate how late the weapon was being worn..thus in a way it was the caretaker fighting sword all the way through the Gunpowder revolution.

It would perhaps be of some benefit if you re-read the massive detail contained in the library at Kattara for comments which acts as the anchor and main source to this thread. I think that will put us on the same page.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 11th February 2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Default The image

Good people, you'll have to circle the quillons because all I see is a oval disc behind the hilt....

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 07:14 AM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Good people, you'll have to circle the quillons because all I see is a oval disc behind the hilt....

Gavin

Salaams ~Kindly look at post# 12 and compare.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.