Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th April 2008, 10:54 AM   #1
brekele

Default Please, need help I.D and some code in this sword.

Hi....
This sword it seem not old but also not that recently made in my opinion.
The sheath made of leather.
Please, anyone could help to explain what is the meaning behind of simbols on this sword? ( stars , chinese word ? )
Very appreciated for the help and thank you.

Have a nice sun shine

bre
Attached Images

Last edited by Mark; 18th April 2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: re-sized photos
brekele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Andrew

Can't help with the characters, but I will suggest that the acid-resist on the blade looks like very recent work.

Do you have any photos of the entire sword? Is it two-edged or single? Any curve at all?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 12:54 PM   #3
brekele

Default resized photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Can't help with the characters, but I will suggest that the acid-resist on the blade looks like very recent work.

Do you have any photos of the entire sword? Is it two-edged or single? Any curve at all?

Here are more fotos Andrew.
The blade is one edged.
This blade is straight but lentur (indonesia word), I dont know this word in English , Maybe Alan Maisey can help this word ( I hope)
Thank you Alan.

Bre
Attached Images

Last edited by Mark; 18th April 2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 17th April 2008, 01:04 PM   #4
brekele

Here are more fotos
Attached Images

Last edited by Mark; 18th April 2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: resized photos
Old 17th April 2008, 01:09 PM   #5
RSWORD

This is a newly made sword from China or even possibly from Indonesia.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 01:43 PM   #6
brekele

Thank you for the sharing information RSWORD
Is there any name for this kind of sword? I mean according the shape.
Old 17th April 2008, 04:47 PM   #7
RSWORD

Contemporary swords are often interpretations of earlier examples. I think in this case the sword is made to look slightly like a Japanese military sword, particularly a WWII NCO pattern which were often numbered on the blade at the hilt. All the additional etchings to the blade are "fluff" to add appeal to the appearance of the blade. I don't know if these modern pieces have a particular name other than wallhanger or decorative object.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 05:20 PM   #8
brekele

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
I don't know if these modern pieces have a particular name other than wallhanger or decorative object.

RSWORD, this wallhanger or decorative object sword is strange for me
Because the blade is "lentur" elastic and now even this big blade have a small baby blade come out from the handle (pommel ?)
he..he..he.. cute baby blade
Attached Images

Last edited by Mark; 18th April 2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: resized photos
Old 18th April 2008, 01:09 PM   #9
brekele

Now, this wallhanger or decorative object sword have again some Chinese words that come out from stomach of the handle
Attached Images

Last edited by Mark; 18th April 2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: resized photos
Old 18th April 2008, 03:34 PM   #10
josh stout

Very strange. I am leaning toward the idea this is an Indonesian sword, probably made for the domestic market. The domestic market would of course include internal tourism, but also martial artists who appreciate a good blade. It would not be unusual for an Indonesian to belong to both of those categories.

The cheap Chinese made stuff rarely has that level of etching, while such is quite common on 20th c. Indonesian blades. There is also the feeling of talismanic properties to the characters and other etching which would go with an Indonesian provenance.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 04:57 PM   #11
Mark

This similar to some early Chinese pseudo-antique swords, though a bit more elaborate. I say pseudo-antique because they don't seem to be a repro of anything specific. I have seen them curved, and with all-metal scabbards painted brown with a flower pattern.

As far as I was able to find out, these are supposed "occupation swords" from the Japanese occupation of Manchuria before and during WW2. You can see both the Japanese sun disc flag, and Manuchu-kuo rising sun flag in the blade decoration (the Manuchurian "protectorate" was called Manchu-kuo). I had one in hand once, but never dared to bend it. I am surprised that yours is so flexible. Perhaps it is the real thing, but I would say that the workmanship is very poor. But then, I don't imagine that the Japanese cared to spend much money on decent swords for a people they considered to hold a status only slightly above laboratory rats (there was extensive testing of Japanese chemical and biological weapons on Manuchurians, both with and without the test subjects' knowledge).

It is an intriguing piece, but I question its genuineness. It would be interesting to see if the characters actually make sense.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 04:59 PM   #12
Mark

PS: I resized all of the photos in this thread to fit on the screen without scrolling sideways. I apologize that the order of some of them got shuffled, but it is hard to re-create the exact order in the attachment manager, for some reason. Hard for me, at any rate.
Old 18th April 2008, 05:09 PM   #13
Mark

More info I just discovered on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchukuo). The rising sun doesn't seem to be the Manchu-kuo flag, though I thought I had determined that when I was investigating these swords several years ago. Based on the Wikipedia entry, what I described as a flower pattern on the scabbard was, I think, the Imperial crest.

I have to back track and see where I got the idea that the second flag was Manchuria.