Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th November 2014, 03:49 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default KOHL POTS

Have had these Arabian Kohl Pots for a little while and thought worth showing here. Kohl is an old cosmetic used as eyeliner in the Middle East and other areas. See link here for details http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohl_(cosmetics)
Some chain has been replaced as the original was gone, but they are in my opinion nice items, and I would like to acquire more...............
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 03:52 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Default Try this link.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohl_(cosmetics)
Sorry the link does not seem to work. Go to Google "kohl" for information.
Stu
Old 30th November 2014, 10:55 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

ITS INTERESTING TO SEE MORE MODERN EXAMPLES OF KOHL CONTAINERS THE ONLY ONES I HAD SEEN WERE ALL OLD ONES FROM THE TIME OF THE PHARAOHS IN EGYPT.
MASCARA AND EYE SHADOW ARE STILL USED HERE IN THE USA TODAY BUT NO FANCY CONTAINERS THAT I AM AWARE OF. VERY NICE WORKMANSHIP ON YOUR EXAMPLES ARE THEY STILL MADE TODAY AND HOW OLD ARE YOUR EXAMPLES?
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 06:09 AM   #4
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
ITS INTERESTING TO SEE MORE MODERN EXAMPLES OF KOHL CONTAINERS THE ONLY ONES I HAD SEEN WERE ALL OLD ONES FROM THE TIME OF THE PHARAOHS IN EGYPT.
MASCARA AND EYE SHADOW ARE STILL USED HERE IN THE USA TODAY BUT NO FANCY CONTAINERS THAT I AM AWARE OF. VERY NICE WORKMANSHIP ON YOUR EXAMPLES ARE THEY STILL MADE TODAY AND HOW OLD ARE YOUR EXAMPLES?
Hi Barry,
I have no idea if these are still made like this today, or if in fact Kohl is still used as a cosmetic. Certainly Kohl pots are still being sold thru Ebay but they all seem to be "modern" and not of the style of these. I would suspect these are from early to mid 20th century, perhaps 1920 to 1970, but that is a guess on my part. Origin of these I think is Yemen or Western Arabia.
Stu
Old 16th January 2015, 05:14 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

HERE IS A INTERESTING BONE KOHL POT SAID TO BE 19TH. CENTURY MEDITERRANEAN. IT IS CARVED AS A CICADA WHICH REPRESENTS REBIRTH IN SOME SOCIETY'S.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 04:17 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Hi Barry,
Nice and very unusual pot. Sorry for not replying sooner.
Have recently picked up these two, popularly called SURMADANI pots and still made I believe. These two are older and are much better finished than the modern made ones I have seen. Also none of the "modern" pots I have seen have any script at the centre of the wand.
Both are brass but one is silver/nickel plated. The script at the centre of each "wand" is (I think) URDU so I must assume that they come from northern India/Pakistan regions. If anyone can translate the script I would be grateful.
Pot height without the wand is 3" (75mm approx.)
Stu
Attached Images

Last edited by kahnjar1; 3rd April 2015 at 06:47 AM.