Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th December 2022, 04:35 PM   #1
dakary

Default Mamluk (or Ottoman) daggers in the 15th century

Total shot in the dark here...

Does anybody know where I can find some examples of Mamluk (or Ottoman) daggers in the 15th century? I can find 15th century swords, and 16th century daggers but nothing for 15th century daggers.

Thanks!
dakary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 06:56 PM   #2
dakary

I managed to find this from the wallace collection: https://www.wallacecollection.org/bl...he-month-2019/

I'd really like to search online through the imperial treasury at the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul but apparently they don't have such a thing! But if somebody knows of other museums worth searching, please let me know!
Old 10th December 2022, 03:38 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

2 things: 1. please post pictures and not links, 2. use the search option and you will find lots of museums posted on this site as well as collectors examples.

Here are pictures of the piece you mentioned for our archives.
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2022, 03:39 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

By the way - I LOVE Ottoman and Mughal weaponry art.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2022, 09:13 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
2 things: 1. please post pictures and not links, 2. use the search option and you will find lots of museums posted on this site as well as collectors examples.

Here are pictures of the piece you mentioned for our archives.
José, i'm not sure why you flipped the photo to a mirror image of the photo from the Wallace Collection page, but for accuracy's sake i am uploading it in the orientation it was originally photographed in.
You also seem to have changed the colour quite drastically on the detail of the hilt so i am uploading that image again as well.
While i do agree that it is always best to upload images directly to our page for archiving purposes i don't suspect that the website for the Wallace Collection will be going away anytime soon.

Images ©The Wallace Collection
Attached Images

Last edited by David; 10th December 2022 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Adding Copyright
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2022, 09:29 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
While i do agree that it is always best to upload images directly to our page for archiving purposes i don't suspect that the website for the Wallace Collection will be going away anytime soon.
Thanks David. The Wallace Collection is unlikely to change its links, as you note, but it is a firm and stated policy of this site that such links not be used to display graphics. Battara and I enforce that policy strictly in order to preserve the Archives here.

Addendum: Just to clarify. The posting of a link to another web site is not a problem. The issue here is that using the [IMG] tag to post a graphic directly into a thread here is not permitted.

Last edited by Ian; 12th December 2022 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Clarification
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2022, 09:49 PM   #7
TVV

The 15th century Ottoman/Mameluke dagger questions is a good one, as there are not that many known and published examples, unlike swords from the same period. Top Kapi has no online catalogue, but there is a paper publication which shows some of the arms and armor, called Sultanlarin Silahlari (Turkish only). It shows a ton of swords, but only a couple of daggers, one of which belonged to Selim I dated 1514 AD. Early 16th century, but at least close to the 15th century to show what late 15th century daggers may have looked like.
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2022, 11:41 PM   #8
dakary

Thanks everybody. I should explain that the reason I posted a link is because there is more than just a picture - there is an article (of sorts). Am I supposed to post all the pictures and copy and paste the article too? I thought a link to the article was sufficient and it was posted with good intentions. Sorry for breaking the rules, regardless.

I did do a search and couldn't find very much. I guess that's confirmed by TVV! But I really do appreciate the dagger you posted! The blade looks like some others I have seen from the 16th century (including one in the Wallace collection) that has been posted in other threads (I know because I did a search!):

It is notable that the scabbard is not contemporary to the dagger (it is much later). If anybody also wants the link to the item itself in the online collection, here it is: https://wallacelive.wallacecollectio...lBlockKey&sp=0