Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2007, 12:39 AM   #1
kino

Default Spanish Plug bayonet to Filipino Dagger?

As the results of asking around, I was told that this once was a Spanish plug bayonet. With engravings on the blade, and what looks like the initials SA, and Kamagong wood scabbard, it was turned into a Filipino dagger.
The blade is rounded on one side and flat on the other. I wonder if the hilts missing pommel was somewhat like a round ball like the tip of the scabards brass fitting.

Has anyone seen this type of dagger/bayonet????
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2007, 03:09 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hi Kino,
I can't say for sure that this was ever a bayonet but I can say that this blade type is not that uncommon. I have a few that are flat on one side and double beveled on the other. As far as the missing part of the pommel goes I would think that it could have been of a flattened ball style maybe with scollops like on the raised section right behind the guard. The dagger looks more Spanish to me than Philippine. I wonder if the SA on the blade could possibly stand for Spain Albacete? (I hope I have this spelled correctly) One other thing is the grip being made of brass which is common for Spanish daggers but very uncommon for Philippine daggers. Most Philippine daggers that I have seen had grips made of horn or wood. I would think its age to be late 19th century. I hope this is of some help. Other forum members with more knowledge can give you a better answer on its exact country of origin. Overall a very nice dagger, nice score.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 22nd December 2007 at 05:06 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2007, 03:39 PM   #3
kino

Thanks RC. I guess I just showed my ignorance on this dagger haven't I.
Your input is leading me to another direction. I will pursue.
Old 22nd December 2007, 08:40 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

May i come in ?
... Not that i am an expert
It is possible that the blade could have been from a plug bayonet ... although not necessarily.
The hilt, by no means, as it lacks the traditional necessary shape. Also the wrong material ... maybe from a classic dagger ?
The guard also looks more dagger like.
The scabbard hanging system too delicate for a plug bayonet ?
I wouldn't think that SA being Spain Albacete fits in. Would quicker bet on owner's or maker's initials.
Where are these initials placed ? Could you come back with close pictures of those ?
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2007, 08:47 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

It could be Spanish in origin and later "Filipined".
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 07:26 AM   #6
kino

Fernando, you are more than welcome to come in.
Here is a photo of the initials S(?), A., placed on the base of the blade closest to the guard. I agree that the initials are of the owners. I believe that the engraving was done in the Philippines and not original to the blade. It's what makes it Filipined , thanks B.
Attached Images