Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th February 2011, 09:58 PM   #1
pbleed

Default Scale armor

Dear Friends,
With a team of students I am researching a scale armor "mantle" in the collection of the Nebraska State Historical Society. This armor has a history that goes back to 1870, but is composed of iron scales that are at least very similar to the archaeological scales from New Mexico described by LaRocca in Gladius in 1990. LaRocca made a case in that paper that they reflect an early phase of the Spanaish entrada into North America. The Nebraska armor retains it cloth base.
In addition to the possibility that it is early Spanish in origin, I am trying to evalaute the possibility that this armor was an element of either theatrical or Fraternal costumery that somehow got to the frontier.
And so my request - plea - for help
1. I will welcome references to SCALE (not mail or brigantine) armor in the New World.
2. Is there available literature on pre-Civil War (US, that is) armor costumry. We have been helped to find a fair amount of late 19th century material (Oh the Walkaries!), but I would like to know was was being worn in opera and the lodges before 1870.

I will welcome any help, guidance or advice.

Peter Bleed
pbleed is offline   Reply With Quote