Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd May 2005, 11:32 PM   #1
ariel

Default Thai Kastane

Also from my recent visit to the Leeds Royal Armoury.
Yet another example of cross-fertilization of different cultures
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 12:12 AM   #2
derek

Hi Ariel,

Interesting sword! Definite similarities, but distinct from any kastane I've seen. In fact, I've seen a few daggers for sale recently that looked an aweful lot like this sword. A few kastanes below for comparison.

derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 12:20 AM   #3
Andrew

Interesting. If the museum is correct (not something I'm usually confident of--your pardon, Wolviex ), it might explain the painting we discussed on this thread:

http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001809.html

Unfortunately, that painting has been reduced to the ubiquitous red x.

Ruel, if you're out there, any chance you could re-post that photo for discussion?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 12:24 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

I'm also wondering if the blade is of Thai manufacture ; it looks like Indian work to me , or possibly Persian .
Possibly the only thing Thai about it may be the hilt .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 02:37 AM   #5
Justin

I agree with Rick,the blade looks very 'tulwar-ish' to me I wonder if this was made in India somewhere not to far from Sri Lanka.I do also have to admit though that the hilt looks a lot like the 'Vietnamese sabers' that have popped up here and there.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 05:23 AM   #6
Conogre

I would have to agree that the blade does look as if it may have come from India, while the hilt itself is truly oriental in appearance, as are some from SE Asia, including Thailand, but the whole feel is just wrong for the latter, somehow.
I wish I could give a better argument than just a hunch, but for now, that will have to suffice.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 01:16 PM   #7
tom hyle

Does the blade not also resemble the type of parang nabur that has a yelman? The hilt has at least 3 characteristics that are very different from any other kastane shown: the knuclebow seems to connect at the pommel; the knuckle bow is more gradually curved, less angled (and closer to the blade/handle) where it angles up; the handle has a curvature in the part that is meant to be inside the hand, rather than being essentially straight with a hooked pommel, which is a significant handling difference. Also, the metal-covered(?) handle seems unusual (?) but seems to be occasionally seen in all times and places......Can't see the face too well, but it does not look like the usual face.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote